Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Paranormal Activity" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

#30 : October 09, 2009, 08:58:43 PM

Exorcist never bothered me. Psycho, yes. The Ring, yes.

I thought The Ring was crap. Completely not scary and over rated

I heard thsi movie was only showed at midnight showings and sold out in every screening

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 09, 2009, 09:00:19 PM

I heard thsi movie was only showed at midnight showings and sold out in every screening

False and false. But it is doing suprisingly well, I think I am gonna see it at like 12:30 at Veterans tonight. I'm surprised they have it playing so late... I miss the late movie season.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

#32 : October 09, 2009, 09:10:54 PM

actually its not false. I guess its expanded now. BUt I just got my new Entertainment Weekly today and it says Paranormal Activity has been released for 2 weeks, has made 0.8 mil, has played in 33 sites in 33 cities, and it "played exclusively at midnight shows in 33 cities across the country--and sold out every last screening"

Im guessing that the box office info in this magazine is up to date as of Tuesday or Wednesday this week, so maybe the movie has expanded to more theaters and more screenings by now

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 09, 2009, 09:13:49 PM

actually its not false. I guess its expanded now. BUt I just got my new Entertainment Weekly today and it says Paranormal Activity has been released for 2 weeks, has made 0.8 mil, has played in 33 sites in 33 cities, and it "played exclusively at midnight shows in 33 cities across the country--and sold out every last screening"

Im guessing that the box office info in this magazine is up to date as of Tuesday or Wednesday this week, so maybe the movie has expanded to more theaters and more screenings by now

Well that information is wrong. Veterans here in Tampa has like 12 showtimes for the movie, and I can guarantee not one of them is sold out.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 09, 2009, 09:15:07 PM

It was only showing at midnight originally but it has expanded to more times starting today.

It also expanded to an additional 10 theaters as of today. If you are in Tampa... Veterans has it as well as Brandon AMC theaters near Westfield.

Its likely to open wide in a few weeks.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 09, 2009, 09:16:28 PM

It was only showing at midnight originally but it has expanded to more times starting today.

It also expanded to an additional 10 theaters as of today. If you are in Tampa... Veterans has it as well as Brandon AMC theaters near Westfield.

Its likely to open wide in a few weeks.

He made it sound like currently every single show is selling out, and that is incorrect.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 09, 2009, 09:26:19 PM

Considering the strong word of mouth, not many theaters offering it, and only 1 showtime a day.... yes it was selling out most screenings. Now it probably wont since there are more showtimes.

Its a "soft release." So they are opening it as it becomes more popular. Marketing trick they sometimes do to save advertising and distribution costs. They basically did the same thing with Saw. Opened in a few areas and increased it as it was gaining popularity.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 09, 2009, 09:31:55 PM

Considering the strong word of mouth, not many theaters offering it, and only 1 showtime a day.... yes it was selling out most screenings. Now it probably wont since there are more showtimes.

Its a "soft release." So they are opening it as it becomes more popular. Marketing trick they sometimes do to save advertising and distribution costs. They basically did the same thing with Saw. Opened in a few areas and increased it as it was gaining popularity.

Yeah, I am up on how this kind of stuff works. I was just saying that NOW, it is not selling out. So people won't be deterred from going out and seeing it. 2 movies that is doing that soft release now, that I want to see are "A Serious Man" by the Coen Bros. And "Up in the air" with George Clooney, both are getting great reviews.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 09, 2009, 09:56:39 PM

I won't expect much. That always works out better for me.

You have to do that with practically every movie. If you set high expectations in your mind you will always be disappointed.

#39 : October 10, 2009, 02:10:10 AM

He made it sound like currently every single show is selling out, and that is incorrect.

No, what I said was correct.....

"was" would imply past tense, and "only showed at midnight" and "sold out every screening" was also accurate

Then I said that info is probably as of tuesday or wednesday, and you responded with "no its playing all the time TODAY". Yea well, thats why I said as of Tuesday or wednesday, and like cyber said today was the FIRST DAY they expanded it past midnight showings at only 33 sites in 33 cities. So there you have it.

#40 : October 10, 2009, 02:11:48 AM

A Serious Man looks good, want to see that

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 10, 2009, 09:01:05 AM

OK, saw it. We went to see the 9:20pm showing but it was sold out. So we got tickets for the 10pm showing, which also sold out. I'm pretty sure the rest of the later showings for the night sold out, too. I saw the lines.

It's only playing in a few theaters here in Vegas.

I thought it was well done, offered some really tense moments, some chills and some scary stuff. My wife enjoyed it, too. Good stuff! And so much better than Blair Witch, imo.

Nobody walked out. I can't believe people walked out in earlier showings because they were too scared.

Nice to have no shaky cam, ala Blair Witch.

If you want to see where some of this movie might have been based on, go to Google Video and type in, "An Unknown Encounter." It's dated and a little cheesy but a good look at the San Pedro haunting.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 10, 2009, 11:24:33 AM

No, what I said was correct.....

"was" would imply past tense, and "only showed at midnight" and "sold out every screening" was also accurate

Then I said that info is probably as of tuesday or wednesday, and you responded with "no its playing all the time TODAY". Yea well, thats why I said as of Tuesday or wednesday, and like cyber said today was the FIRST DAY they expanded it past midnight showings at only 33 sites in 33 cities. So there you have it.

I understand now, sorry for the mixup.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#43 : October 11, 2009, 12:47:00 PM

Made $7 million this weekend. Which is phenomenal since its only in less than 200 theaters right now. In fact it broke a record.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2009/10/first-look-couples-retreat-a-popular-destination-paranormal-activity-sets-record.html

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#44 : October 18, 2009, 12:35:33 AM

This movie is not bad. I went and saw it tonight. It was not that scary. But it does have some frightening scenes in it.

I WARN YOU! IF you are the type of person that will start fights with people if they consistently talk during the movie...DO NOT...I REPEAT DO NOT....go and see this movie. I think I came about 2 millimeters from cursing out this **CENSORED**bag that kept jumping out of his seat and making jokes at the screen.  It is definitely a movie to watch with a loved one in a less crowded theater.

The less people, the better.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Paranormal Activity" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools