Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Complex Scheme « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#30 : October 23, 2007, 06:20:06 PM

Gruden's offensive motions and shifts are supposed to be all about creating mismatches. IIRC, there's something on the SB DVD with Jaws breaking down plays from the Bucs-Eagles NFCCG. He shows how Gruden's shifts and motion got favorable matchups with Pittman on slow linebacker, or JJ on a LB on his big catch and run, etc... Maybe the problem lately is that we don't have good enough players to actually create a lot of good mismatches.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#31 : October 23, 2007, 06:14:53 PM

His offense is complicated because of the terminology. Secondly, there is so much motion that goes on pre-snap that it has to complicate things as well.

The only thing is, unlike what Stan said it doesn't work. When you line a FB up at WR and then motion him to become the FB what the heck does that do? Nothing as far as I am concerned. I just don't see the results from all of it or how it is beneficial. It just causes penalties in my opinion.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 23, 2007, 06:05:06 PM

I think the complexity in his offense comes from the verbiage and the amount of pre snap shifts for each package.  As I said earlier, all that complexity does little in terms of consistent offensive production.  Is it too far of a statement to say that at times Gruden's offense doesn't look too much different than that of Shula and Clyde?

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#33 : October 23, 2007, 06:04:57 PM

Hate,

Disagree with you.

Our offense has put up a lotta points.

We have put up a lotta yardage.

We shot ourselves in the foot at Detroit.

I honestlly belive (maybe in hidsite), had we not gotten GArcia knocked out f the Seattle gane, we might have won that.

Gruden finally has his QB to run his system, and its working.

Simple or complex. I could care less. All I know is it works with the right QB.

Just sayin.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

watson

Hall of Famer
#34 : October 23, 2007, 06:02:50 PM

What do you call complex?  Are the routes the WRs run complex?  Are the seams the RBs are supposed to run thru complex?  Is the blocking scheme of the OL complex?  Or are you talking about the verbage of the play calling?  If that is the case then you should have seen the Fox pregame show this last Sunday.  Terry Bradshaw said the play at Pitt was only about 4 words long and then all the other players were supposed to know what their roles were.  But in the Bucs scheme the play call was a total picture of what each unit is supposed to do.  So, it may be that it is not so complicated for all the players, just the QB who has to know what everyone else is doing.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 23, 2007, 06:01:55 PM

A 40+ year old QB can get up off the couch, sign on Wednesday, and lead his team to a come from behind victory on the road on Sunday.  That of course was Vinny's week with the Panthers.  Not saying that it's normal, but it seems that when we acquire a punter it takes them half the year to digest the offensive scheme.

Maybe from the lack of production on the offense, maybe it's too complex for its own good.  All that intricate verbiage certainly isn't fooling the defenses.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#36 : October 23, 2007, 07:05:15 PM

Listened to a similar explanation from a couple of player Zen - simply listen for your role and do what is specified.  Harder for the qb - yea - for the other players - seems like not.  But so many want to blame the coach's systems - whether it is Gruden or Kiffen.. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

#37 : October 24, 2007, 12:04:55 PM

seems pretty easy to use on madden ;)

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 24, 2007, 12:03:10 PM

The complexity of the offense lies mostly with the QB, then secondarily with the OL (and specifically the center). Gruden's play calls include a lot of detailed information about things like specific routes for the WR's. A player who is NOT the QB simply has to listen to the playcall for the portion that gives him his own personal responsibility.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 24, 2007, 11:58:54 AM

So, 400+ yards in Detroit? Was the verbiage OK on most of that yardage and then
became too complicated on the bumbled snap, fumble and blocked kicks?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#40 : October 24, 2007, 11:57:12 AM

Players don't want to play here because of the difficult scheme.

Players are close to a mutiny because of excess verbiage. They need to stay up
late making sure they know the plays. They can't go out to the bars. And they're
pissed! Mutiny coming!

Red Herring if I ever saw one.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 23, 2007, 05:47:04 PM

yeah only thing i can think of is many many audibles, and... if they run 3-4 do this 4-3 do that

BigRTM

Starter

#42 : October 23, 2007, 05:48:05 PM

Seems to me that a lot of unnecessary things going on.......just for deception at times.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#43 : October 23, 2007, 05:37:30 PM

Why does everyone think Gruden's scheme is so complex? Has anyone here actually looked at the playbook, audibles, etc?

#44 : October 23, 2007, 05:44:32 PM

I've often wondered why the system has to be so complex? Football is about running, catching, blocking and tackling. Being that we haven't been great offensively, maybe it should be simplified.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Complex Scheme « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools