Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden and Polarization « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 24, 2007, 11:04:07 AM

ut - I don't think the premise is any different with Tampa fans than fans of any other City.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 24, 2007, 02:25:58 PM

As much as there is hatred for the coach....and I don't think it's all that out of line with what you might find in another city....the media in particular absolutely can't stand Bruce Allen. He acts like he's smarter than those in the media. He's likely correct in that assessment. He's not afraid to let them know that......and I'm not specifically focusing on football acumen.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

#17 : October 24, 2007, 10:21:29 AM

The problem with the Tampa Bay area fans is their IQ for the most part (if you took it) would be somewhere near the IQ of a 8-9 year old

They are easily manipulated by the press...they believe everything they read and hear. They follow in clans to either side of the spectrum.

Jon Gruden hired and wins Superbowl--TB fans love him...he is the best thing since sliced bread
Jon Gruden loses a few seasons--he sucks fire him

USF isnt that great--we wont go to a USF game to save our lives
USF in the top 10--You have a better chance scoring Packer season tickets

Coach Torts wins a Stanley Cup---Great coach
Lightning rebuilding---fire Torts

Vinny after 2 years-Lets trade Vinny
Vinny now--Why isnt he the team captain by now?

Thats why I give a lot of us here kudos for being who were are for the most part....Pro Gruden...even in weeks where we may not look so hot. we realize we have a team with a lot of youth, we need to rebuild, and we need to be patient

However the media has avenues they follow and they round up all the 8-9 year old IQ'ers (70-80% of the bay area) to follow them into battle to run off probably one of the best coaches in our history

Its pathetic...really but unfortunatly its the market we live in and all we can do is support our team and our coach...and denounce all the rest as ignorant

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#18 : October 24, 2007, 10:19:10 AM

What he said ^^^^^ well stated Stan

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#19 : October 24, 2007, 05:47:14 AM

I think there are some posters on here who want to see the Bucs lose so Gruden can get fired. There is no way these can be true Bucs fans. You can but up a cardboard standup for a coach and I will always pull for the Bucs.

You make me want to stick my fiance's belongings on the front porch and change the locks.  She'd only root for the Bucs if I bought her that ghastly pink jersey and she'd still root for the Bengals I know it.  So um anyway....you single? lol

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 24, 2007, 06:37:45 AM

I think there are some posters on here who want to see the Bucs lose so Gruden can get fired. There is no way these can be true Bucs fans. You can but up a cardboard standup for a coach and I will always pull for the Bucs.

I don't think many people rooted against the Bucs the year Tony was fired. I wanted him
fired for a year before that. But I didn't root for losses.

I think some people feel we'll never win it all again as long as Gruden is the coach. In
their minds, getting rid of him is the best thing for the team. And losses will hasten that
departure. So they root for losses and think that it's for the good of the team. Or some
warped thinking like that. But now that were potentially a better team and possibly
playoff bound, any kind if thinking like that should be extinguished.

The only time I have semi-rooted against the Bucs is late (last game or two) in the season
when the playoffs were a distant hope and a loss might improve our draft position in an
important way. But even then it's hard for me to do.

#21 : October 24, 2007, 03:13:00 AM

Gruden is not polarizing. Certain limp wrists in the local media who fancy themselves as experts are the polarizing catalysts. The more they screw up the more they claim Gruden is polarizing. If they can get you to buy that they figure they can get you to forget how bad they are as journalists. So far it seems to have worked with a good segment of the fans.

One of the best posts Ive read in awhile, great point dude I think you are right baout that

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#22 : October 24, 2007, 09:28:51 AM

Unfortunately, most of the fans don't know they have a choice.

They are constantly bombarded by the Trib, Times, Sentinel and local sports radio. If that was the only access you had to Bucs info, wouldn't you tend to believe what they are "reporting".

We are the fortunate ones. We have PR which gives us balanced reporting and we have the opportunity to understand what's actually going on.

By the same token, there are a minority on PR that espouse the same crap as the media-which I will never understand. It just blows my mind that anyone who is supposedly a fan, can root against the team-for any reason.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Snook

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 23, 2007, 08:46:11 PM

Then you have the people who hate on him hate on the people who are sick of the people who hate on him but saying that they are blind followers of a bad coach/team, so then the people who are sick of the people who hate on him/them start hating back, and the people who hate on him take it as if they were sticking up for Gruden rather than just sticking up for themselves...which is basically what they're doing..so basically everyone is hating everyone.  Does THAT make sense?

I follow you, man.  Its an endless circle. 

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 23, 2007, 08:39:19 PM

no doubt Gruden is a polarizing figure. You either love him or you hate him, there is no in between. I dont understand it, but then again I love the guy

I don't hate OR love Gruden.  I'm pretty impartial to him.  But as the Bucs head coach, I DO want him to be successful.  Obviously, I was very happy he won a Super Bowl here. 

The polarization is the people who hate him vs the people who are sick of the people hating on him.  Does that make sense?

Actually it makes perfect sense...good point.

Then you have the people who hate on him hate on the people who are sick of the people who hate on him but saying that they are blind followers of a bad coach/team, so then the people who are sick of the people who hate on him/them start hating back, and the people who hate on him take it as if they were sticking up for Gruden rather than just sticking up for themselves...which is basically what they're doing..so basically everyone is hating everyone.  Does THAT make sense?

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 23, 2007, 07:46:59 PM

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that people wanted Dungy to lose in 2001. That's bogus. I went to the game and the last thing I ever wanted was a loss because: 1. We lost to them the year before in the playoffs
2. We had the can't-win-in-the-cold thing hanging over us
3. The Eagles humiliated us the week before and most importantly ...
4. It was the playoffs for godsakes. You ALWAYS should want to win a playoff game.
I'm Pro-Gruden but not infinitely. If he can't coach, then get someone who can. But so far he's been fine. I'll keep him and support him.

In Verner We Trust

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 23, 2007, 07:51:51 PM

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that people wanted Dungy to lose in 2001. That's bogus.

I didn't say all, JBF, it's never all.  There were some that I spoke with at the time or heard on talk radio that were saying such things.  Personally I don't see how it's even possible.  For as irritated as I may get at Gruden, Dungy, Torts, Maddon, Van Gundy, I'll always support those teams no matter, thus always rooting for the win.  How can you root against "your" team?

I too am pro-Gruden, to a point.  I do agree, if he can't get it done, we'll get someone who can.  As of right now we're doing OK all things considered.  I think some got a little too flush with that quick 3-1 start and forgetting that some of the pre season prognostications made by fans were not too rosey.   They are much better than last year even with the injuries mounting.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 23, 2007, 07:56:53 PM

It is polarizing indeed.  But I do believe that just like in 2001, there are "fans" who want to see us lose because a.) they hate Gruden and/or b.) they want to be right about Gruden so bad.  Do I think every Gruden hater wants us to lose?  Absolutely not.  I respect opinions that are educated, but once it just boils down to a pride-issue, that's what i can't stand.

But once again, there are a lot of educated and legitimate concerns about our head coach.  But for some reason (it's grown substantially since we started winning) there has been a group of people who stretch as hard as they can to find something wrong with him.  For instance, complaining about...oh let's say the fact that we're "ONLY" 4-3, despite the fact that those same people complaining thought we were going to go 4-12 again (or worse) because he did such a horrible job with the off-season/draft/FA/fill in the blank.

missy427

Second String
#28 : October 23, 2007, 06:41:33 PM

I also find it rather unfathomable that anyone who considers themselves a "fan" would root for your team to lose.Espiecially if they have an agenda against a coach,player or whatever! If you don't like your team then spend your Sundays doing something else and save yourself and other fans the aggravation! I always thought that when you chose to support a team,that you stand behind them in both the good and bad times.I supported anyone who wore the Bucs Uniform the same way,no matter who it was.Were there times that I disagreed what was happening to the Bucs? Yes there were,but I never took it to the point that some other people do(Calling for people to be fired or hurt etc.)I was happy with wins back in the 80's just as happy with them now.But to Rehash my point,Hoping that your teams loses because you dispise 1 person is to me very dumb( for the lack of a better word). [banghead]

Snook

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 23, 2007, 08:02:53 PM

no doubt Gruden is a polarizing figure. You either love him or you hate him, there is no in between. I dont understand it, but then again I love the guy

I don't hate OR love Gruden.  I'm pretty impartial to him.  But as the Bucs head coach, I DO want him to be successful.  Obviously, I was very happy he won a Super Bowl here. 

The polarization is the people who hate him vs the people who are sick of the people hating on him.  Does that make sense?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden and Polarization « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools