Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Franchise LT Joe Thomas « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
: December 05, 2006, 12:27:18 PM

We DO run the ball to the left, but when Dan Buenning is in there. If JT is there then take him but it's no biggie if he's not.

So Buenning is the good one on that side, not Davis?

Thomas is a no brainer if he's there. The only way it takes > 30 seconds to make the pick is if Adams is still on the board.
Agreed.

thanson

Starter

#1 : December 05, 2006, 12:15:49 PM

We need help on both sides. So, why not take a Franchise player with the first pick and draft Def for the next 4 picks (DE, DT, LB, SS). Not only would we get a franchise LT, we would also help Grad & Caddy. Maybe then, we could actually run to the left side. Maybe then we could have a running game.

BUCky Badger

#2 : December 05, 2006, 12:17:06 PM

We DO run the ball to the left, but when Dan Buenning is in there. If JT is there then take him but it's no biggie if he's not.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 05, 2006, 12:21:29 PM

Joe Thomas would not be a bad pick by any stretch. Anthony Davis has been solid this year but the OL continues to struggle so who knows.

I think that we have to take a "wait and see" approach to the draft because FA will have such a big impact on the draft. Do we move Rice? If we do move Rice do we draft a replacement or do we get a FA DE to fill the void? Do we resign Dwayne White? WR is another issue, what about calvin johnson if he is there? Just too many possiblities to really speculate at this point on what position we will address in the draft. I do think that Joe Thomas will be a great tackle for many years and you couldn't go wrong in picking him unless we have an obvious hole that needs to be address (DE- Gaines Adams)

Baghead #2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 05, 2006, 12:26:50 PM

So Buenning is the good one on that side, not Davis?

Thomas is a no brainer if he's there. The only way it takes > 30 seconds to make the pick is if Adams is still on the board.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 05, 2006, 12:20:44 PM

Thomas is the only Offensive player I'd advocate taking in round 1.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#6 : December 06, 2006, 12:21:11 PM

Gaines or Joe....one or the other is needed. How do you weigh those things out? Personally, I think now that Gaines has a slight edge, given that there is going to be some serious anorexia on the D-line next year...And the O-line has some signs of life.

I agree exactly with this statement. The OL is young and shows signs, plus Davis has't been bad. On the other hand the DL is just pourous, zero depth and what will happen with Rice? If I had to bet today I would say we sign White, drop Rice (for whatever) and hope to get Gaines Adams but we have to see where we pick and the scenarios in front of us.

We can wait until after the draft to cut Rice, thereby we take less of a chance if Adams is gone. Also lets not forget there is deep talent at DE this year and with 2 second round picks (one of which being very early) we can still land a premier pass rusher. Here's the short list:

Gaines Adams                             6-5, 260            4.65            Clemson
Quentin Moses                           6-5, 250            4.70            Georgia
*Lawrence Jackson                    6-4, 270                               Southern California
Victor Abiamiri                            6-4, 270            4.80            Notre Dame
Anthony Spencer                        6-3, 265            4.65           Purdue
Lamarr Woodley                          6-1, 275            4.75           Michigan
*Jarvis Moss                                6-5, 255                              Florida
Adam Carriker                              6-6, 290            4.85           Nebraska
Ray McDonald                             6-3, 275            4.95           Florida (DT/X) <>
*Chris Ellis                                    6-5, 255                              Virginia Tech
*Tommy Blake                              6-2, 255                              TCU
*Quentin Groves                          6-2, 250                              Auburn
Dan Bazuin                                   6-3, 270            4.70           Central Michigan
Tim Crowder                                 6-3, 270            4.85           Texas

*denotes underclassmen who have not declared.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 06, 2006, 09:01:10 AM

Chev, the defense is still better than the offense. We need help on the defense but right now the offense is 32nd in scoring. The defense, while not brilliant, has held up to some degree save the Turkey Day disaster. I don't think you can ignore that we've got aloong way to go on that offensive side of the ball as well.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 06, 2006, 08:27:02 AM

We need help on both sides. So, why not take a Franchise player with the first pick and draft Def for the next 4 picks (DE, DT, LB, SS). Not only would we get a franchise LT, we would also help Grad & Caddy. Maybe then, we could actually run to the left side. Maybe then we could have a running game.

BUCky Badger

Agreed! Thomas is better than any OL the Bucs have ever had, EVER. Better than Gruber. Everyone at Wisconsin says he is beter than Gruber was

So we add a LT and instantly become the old SD VChargers and outscore everyone?  Wrong...this team was built on defense.  We won a SB with great defense.  We need to go into camp with a great defense or we will not win!!!

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 06, 2006, 12:01:32 PM

Gaines or Joe....one or the other is needed. How do you weigh those things out? Personally, I think now that Gaines has a slight edge, given that there is going to be some serious anorexia on the D-line next year...And the O-line has some signs of life.

I agree exactly with this statement. The OL is young and shows signs, plus Davis has't been bad. On the other hand the DL is just pourous, zero depth and what will happen with Rice? If I had to bet today I would say we sign White, drop Rice (for whatever) and hope to get Gaines Adams but we have to see where we pick and the scenarios in front of us.

Baghead #2

sniper5

Second String
#10 : December 06, 2006, 12:17:05 PM

I think if we have a top 5 pick, it must be spent on a franchise type talent (obviously) but one at a position that is unlikely to be filled via free agency.  If you look at the ELITE level players at positions that never seem to hit the open market, they are LOTs, pass rushing DEs, shut-down corners, and QBs.  If we have the opportunity to select a franchise player, it should be at one of these positions, since it is unlikely that we can fill those gaps with equal talent through free agency.  Given the fact that our current defensive system doesn't rely on a premium shut-down corner, and the fact that drafting QBs seems to be more of a crapshoot due to so many immeasureable qualities (as well as the length of time it takes them to develop), it seems that the only sensible option is to take a franchise LOT (Thomas) or a pass rushing DE (Gaines).  The mix of genetic gifts required (freakish size, lateral quickness, strength, etc.) really limits the pool of potential franchise OTs and DEs, whereas "skill" players can be found in later rounds, free agency, etc. and coached/trained to success.  

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 06, 2006, 12:09:30 PM

Chev,

On Dec 29th at 1 PM you can watch Gaines Adams as Clemson takes on Kentucky in the Music City Bowl on ESPN/ESPN HD

and

On Jan 1st at 1PM you can see Joe Thomas and Wisconsin against Arkansas in the Capitol One Bowl on ABC/ABCHD

Both should have a monster days against subpar talent. I'd also suggest you watch Michagin in the Rose Bowl versus USC, to see drtaft prospects: Alan Branch(DT), Lamar Woodley(DE/LB) and Leon Hall(CB) go up against the potent USC offense, Ryan Kalil(C) and Dawayne Jarret and Steve Smith (WRs).

Thanks Cerious.  I usually tape all of the BCS games.  But it's nice to know what games to tape during the "Capital One Bowl week" extravaganza...LOL

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 06, 2006, 11:59:52 AM

I have seen Thomas play several times and I mean he just eliminates people. Not saying its who I would take, time will tell as we get closer to the draft but Thomas appears to be a just an absolute wall on the left side. When DE's rush against him they seem to just give up, he gets his hands on them and its over. He was really impressive IMHO but so was Gallery and he struggles so who knows.

Baghead #2

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 06, 2006, 11:56:55 AM

Gaines or Joe....one or the other is needed.  How do you weigh those things out?  Personally, I think now that Gaines has a slight edge, given that there is going to be some serious anorexia on the D-line next year...And the O-line has some signs of life.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#14 : December 06, 2006, 11:51:26 AM

Chev,

On Dec 29th at 1 PM you can watch Gaines Adams as Clemson takes on Kentucky in the Music City Bowl on ESPN/ESPN HD

and

On Jan 1st at 1PM you can see Joe Thomas and Wisconsin against Arkansas in the Capitol One Bowl on ABC/ABCHD

Both should have a monster days against subpar talent. I'd also suggest you watch Michagin in the Rose Bowl versus USC, to see drtaft prospects: Alan Branch(DT), Lamar Woodley(DE/LB) and Leon Hall(CB) go up against the potent USC offense, Ryan Kalil(C) and Dawayne Jarret and Steve Smith (WRs).
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Franchise LT Joe Thomas « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools