Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Franchise LT Joe Thomas « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#30 : December 06, 2006, 10:50:57 AM

ut, this is the same Gruden that drafted Davin Joseph when both Chad Jackson and Santonio Holmes were available and we were said to be considering Manny Lawson before the 49ers took him one pick ahead us. Gruden isn't focused on the offense only, if Gaines Adams is there he'll draft him in a heartbeat because you don't find players in the mold of Juluis Peppers in the 2-3 rounds.

#31 : December 06, 2006, 10:54:55 AM

You can get a Gaines Adams talent in 2-3 rounds. You cant get a Calvin Johnson in the 2-3 rounds

I don't understand this. If there were other guys with the same talent, they'd be in the top ten as well.

Its simple you have 32 teams. Not all of them are going to draft DE. Some need a QB some need an Adrian Peterson some need a Jarrett there is a Griffin, Thomas, Quinn, Brohm, (that CAL HB), Samarjda (sp)...there is a lot of pure talent in this draft on both sides of the ball. A guy you may like...like A Victor Albimari that almost set a ND record for sacks will be there in round two. There is a Quinten Moses that may fall.

Talent wise there may be some AWESOME talent at DE/DT that in most cases would be first round picks HOWEVER there is specific team needs that supercede these talents and a team may draft another player which would make these players fall....not to mention we probably will have like the 2nd or 3rd pick in the second round which you could say is really another first round pick. Draft the BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT first then build your defense with first round talent that fell to the second round. Thats how Dungy/McKay did it

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 06, 2006, 10:46:51 AM

Chev, the defense is still better than the offense. We need help on the defense but right now the offense is 32nd in scoring. The defense, while not brilliant, has held up to some degree save the Turkey Day disaster. I don't think you can ignore that we've got aloong way to go on that offensive side of the ball as well.

Statistically, you are right.  However, to me the priority has to be the defense.  I'm not sure how the offseason will shake out.  If we can get Joe and get a stud in the FA market on the dline then we can all jump and shout.  I don't care how we do it to be honest.  I'm not a personell guy nor a very good GM type.  All I know is selecting Joe at number one doesn't fix our problems, not even the immediate ones on offense.  I know how you guys like to denigrate my oline.  And to your credit most of the condemnation is deserved, but it's certainly not all their fault as some would like to assert.  Now you have another rook on a line full of youngsters already.  I don't know Joe or know of his exploits.  I depend on you draft gurus for that.  If he's the end all to be all and based on your analysis of first round LOT's then I guess he's the pick.  But we need more than Joe to right this ship...We need an equally talented bad azz on the dline to to make this offseason somewhat of a success...IMO

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 06, 2006, 10:46:02 AM

You can get a Gaines Adams talent in 2-3 rounds. You cant get a Calvin Johnson in the 2-3 rounds

I don't understand this.  If there were other guys with the same talent, they'd be in the top ten as well.

#34 : December 06, 2006, 10:38:51 AM

Thomas is the only Offensive player I'd advocate taking in round 1.

Face it guys if Gruden is the head coach next year we wont be taking a defensive player 1st....it will be a toss up between Joe Thomas/ Calvin Johnson/Adrian Peterson and a sleeper in Jarrett

We will spend our 2-5th rounders on defense because of the depth this year in the draft on the defensive side of the ball.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#35 : December 06, 2006, 10:31:31 AM

Chev, the defense is still better than the offense. We need help on the defense but right now the offense is 32nd in scoring. The defense, while not brilliant, has held up to some degree save the Turkey Day disaster. I don't think you can ignore that we've got aloong way to go on that offensive side of the ball as well.

We keep throwing premium talent at the offense and it hasn't been any better. Why continue to waste the high picks here instead of coaching up the guys we've got? This team has proven that with a few premium guys on the D, we can go from middle of the pack to dominating, which can get us to the post season. Why not stick with what we know works? Why not use the picks where we know they will have the most impact on the team's record?

We've spent THREE picks on premium talent for the offense. THREE PICKS that actually panned out to some degree, but those three picks aren't going to make an offense significantly better unless the were spent on QB, LT, WR/RB. Had we added those three positions and the players panned out, then you'd have an argument. But, in truth we're missing key pieces to having a dominant offense, LT and QB. Those are must haves.

Back on top. I've said it since about the 4th game this season... it all starts in the TRENCHES for the future success of this team. As Dal pointed out Joe Thomas is a no brainer as would selecting Gaines Adams, the only problem you'd have is if both were available at the same time and that would be a good problem to have. A draft scenario that could address the defense while still getting a PREMIER LT in the 1st round could be:

1st: Joe Thomas OT
2 A: Victor Abimiri DE
2 B: Best LB available (my choice: Xavier Adibi)
3rd: Marcus Thomas DT (arguably the best DT in the draft with some issues, but why not take a chance?)

Beastie

Rookie

#36 : December 06, 2006, 10:15:06 AM

We got so many holes that we need to take the best player on the board. Period.

You win games through the trenches. I dominant LT with then Joseph and Trueblood on the right side could give us something to really brag about for the next decade.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 06, 2006, 09:54:42 AM

Thomas is the only Offensive player I'd advocate taking in round 1.

I agree.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 06, 2006, 09:41:41 AM

We keep throwing premium talent at the offense and it hasn't been any better.  Why continue to waste the high picks here instead of coaching up the guys we've got?  This team has proven that with a few premium guys on the D, we can go from middle of the pack to dominating, which can get us to the post season.  Why not stick with what we know works?  Why not use the picks where we know they will have the most impact on the team's record?

Boriqua

Starter
#39 : December 05, 2006, 01:12:47 PM

I'm warming up more to picking Thomas, the O-line is the building block of any offense. As far as the D-line, I believe we need DT's more than we need DE's, JMHO.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 05, 2006, 01:22:56 PM

Now we appear to be moving up the draft a little Joe Thomas might be in reach.  Depending on the FA pic-ups we need to go with the BAP D/O lineman on the board, UNLESS the FO want to take a QB.

TheChronic

Rookie

#41 : December 05, 2006, 01:25:00 PM

The Bucs are so DEPLETED on all squads.........that it would amaze me if we even used a first round pic.......

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 05, 2006, 01:26:19 PM

The Bucs are so DEPLETED on all squads.........that it would amaze me if we even used a first round pic.......

And how do you suggest we get rid of our first round pick?

A high first is worth more than a full set of picks between rounds 2 and 7.

TheChronic

Rookie

#43 : December 05, 2006, 01:31:16 PM

And how do you suggest we get rid of our first round pick?

A high first is worth more than a full set of picks between rounds 2 and 7.

tell me you're not serious.........................

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#44 : December 05, 2006, 01:32:36 PM

OMG, this boards IQ went down by five points from the last response.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Franchise LT Joe Thomas « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools