Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: [PC Help] Signs of a keylogger? « previous next »
Page: 1

RaheemsEyebrows

Rookie

: September 29, 2009, 02:22:32 PM

Hopefully someone here can help me out.

I am usually extremely careful while browsing the internet, but my computer has been acting fishy. I only visit 4-5 sites on a regular basis, but as of last night something doesn't feel right. I checked out a forum, and noticed i was seeing posts made two to three years ago. This forum has over 20,000 hits a day and should be showing posts made much more recently. Also, my auto fill options have seemed to stop working entirely. I have downloaded Spybot Search & destroy/Hijackthis and am currently running a scan, but i want to be 100% sure im running without any worry. Are there any signs of a keylogger that i can be made aware of? Any suggestions on what else i can do to ensure PC security? Any help will be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 29, 2009, 02:31:41 PM

keyloggers typically show up as spyware.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 29, 2009, 04:47:24 PM

I am usually extremely careful while browsing the internet, but my computer has been acting fishy. I only visit 4-5 sites on a regular basis, but as of last night something doesn't feel right. I checked out a forum, and noticed i was seeing posts made two to three years ago. This forum has over 20,000 hits a day and should be showing posts made much more recently. Also, my auto fill options have seemed to stop working entirely. I have downloaded Spybot Search & destroy/Hijackthis and am currently running a scan, but i want to be 100% sure im running without any worry. Are there any signs of a keylogger that i can be made aware of? Any suggestions on what else i can do to ensure PC security? Any help will be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

Spybot and Ad-Aware are a good start. Be careful with Hijack This!, it is real easy to delete something important that you don't want deleted.

Windows Defender is also good and free. Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

I suggest restarting in safe mode, then run a full scan with Spybot and Ad-Aware and your Anti-Virus (not at the same time). Most the lil' bugs don't load up in safe mode so any bits they have to fool your anti spyware/AV programs aren't running.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#3 : September 29, 2009, 09:21:40 PM

Try a system restore point from before the time you noticed the problem.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 30, 2009, 09:35:32 AM

If all else fails, there are computer guys on craigslist that will nuke it and reinstall everything for like a hundred bucks...

Thomas

Starter

#5 : October 01, 2009, 04:56:26 AM

just reinstall windows then restore your photos and documents from your back up.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/spyware/indicators.aspx

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 02, 2009, 12:11:06 AM

Spybot and Ad-Aware are a good start. Be careful with Hijack This!, it is real easy to delete something important that you don't want deleted.

Windows Defender is also good and free. Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

I suggest restarting in safe mode, then run a full scan with Spybot and Ad-Aware and your Anti-Virus (not at the same time). Most the lil' bugs don't load up in safe mode so any bits they have to fool your anti spyware/AV programs aren't running.

I got Windows Defender with my Vista about 3 months ago and love it so far!

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 02, 2009, 02:27:45 AM

Forget all of those other anti spyware programs. The two BEST are SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes (both are free). They work great together. If one of them misses something, the other will find it. I once had some spyware on my computer... so I went to this forum that specializes in this... and post after post, they suggested these two programs... and pretty much nothing else. Btw, it worked. They got rid of every malicious file on my computer.

To download:
http://www.superantispyware.com
http://www.malwarebytes.org

Thomas

Starter

#8 : October 04, 2009, 08:46:19 PM

microsoft security essentials...its free, and not too shabby

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 04, 2009, 09:29:51 PM

I had Kaspersky for a year and it worked great buuuut then they wanted me to re-new again for like $70 I believe, and that's when I decided to just use the Windows Defender and my own firewall as protection cause they're both free and effective too.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: [PC Help] Signs of a keylogger? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools