Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "In Jesus' Name, Amen" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Stratobuc

Starter
#15 : September 30, 2009, 02:54:49 PM

Its like a country club - you have to be a member to play? I'm not buying it. Peace, brother.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 30, 2009, 03:15:10 PM

Would the real Jesus please stand up???

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#17 : September 30, 2009, 03:25:58 PM

Its no different then in the Middle Ages when they were selling indulgences or pardons into heaven by the Church to the people.

Catholicism has always been full of controversy,scandal and corruption. I don't let whoever on Earth tell me what to do in regards to my faith. I believe in God and the Golden Rule.

#18 : September 30, 2009, 05:17:14 PM

"Christian" ministers in Nigeria and surrounding areas are making money hand-over-fist

Nigerian?

religion shouldnt be the focus of this story

Nigeria is filled with cons and theifs. They make hundreds of millions in that region in teh world based on fraudulant business practices.

There are tons of other BIG money making schemes in that region that dont involve religion, so no reason to focus on religion when the real problem is Nigerian con artists

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 30, 2009, 05:23:35 PM

"Christian" ministers in Nigeria and surrounding areas are making money hand-over-fist

Nigerian?

religion shouldnt be the focus of this story

Nigeria is filled with cons and theifs. They make hundreds of millions in that region in teh world based on fraudulant business practices.

There are tons of other BIG money making schemes in that region that dont involve religion, so no reason to focus on religion when the real problem is Nigerian con artists

Most of those other cons don't have parents pouring kerosene on their own children and setting them on fire

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#20 : September 30, 2009, 05:36:53 PM

Christian ministers HERE are making money hand over fist...

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 01, 2009, 12:59:35 PM

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 01, 2009, 02:14:00 PM

^^^^^^^^^^

LOL

#23 : October 01, 2009, 02:47:47 PM

I always find it funny how atheists are so insecure about being in the minority in their BELIEFS that they make it a mission to attack and marginalize religion. And most of the time they arent provoked, they just do it out of their own insecurities

They get so mad at people who try to "hammer" their relilgious beliefs at them, but they have no problem doing the same to others. Only they do it with a lot more anger and disrespect.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 01, 2009, 02:52:39 PM

Let  me get this straight. You are saying that a religious person with an IQ of 69 , classified as the highest level "definite feeble mindedness", suddenly chooses not to follow those religious teachings, they can, on average, then become an atheist with an IQ of 70.65, classified as the lowest level of "borderline deficiency". Is this due to having more available space within the brain without all that faith crap in there.

I can now see why this would drastically improve people's lives.

A moron with an IQ 1.6 pts higher is still a moron. A genius with an IQ 1.6 lower, is still a genius. The margins are just too small to distinquish between.

But you go ahead use this argument, no matter how slight,  FOR your increased intelligence, I'm just going to sit here and admire the irony of it.  

Your rationalization is really being stretched to its limits with this one Mojo.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 01, 2009, 03:51:10 PM

Let  me get this straight. You are saying that a religious person with an IQ of 69 , classified as the highest level "definite feeble mindedness", suddenly chooses not to follow those religious teachings, they can, on average, then become an atheist with an IQ of 70.65, classified as the lowest level of "borderline deficiency". Is this due to having more available space within the brain without all that faith crap in there.

A moron with an IQ 1.6 pts higher is still a moron. A genius with an IQ 1.6 lower, is still a genius. The margins are just too small to distinquish between.

But you go ahead use this argument, no matter how slight,  FOR your increased intelligence, I'm just going to sit here and admire the irony of it. 

Your rationalization is really being stretched to its limits with this one Mojo.

That isn't the argument at all, and I suspect you know it.  The argument is that people with higher IQ's on average tend to be less religious.  The reasoning behind it being their ability to think more critically than those with lower IQ's.  I really wasn't trying to get into this debate, but Guru there wanted to try to dumb up the Big Bang theory, so I had to throw that out there...

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 01, 2009, 05:10:42 PM

Let me get this straight. You are saying that a religious person with an IQ of 69 , classified as the highest level "definite feeble mindedness", suddenly chooses not to follow those religious teachings, they can, on average, then become an atheist with an IQ of 70.65, classified as the lowest level of "borderline deficiency". Is this due to having more available space within the brain without all that faith crap in there.

But you go ahead use this argument, no matter how slight, FOR your increased intelligence, I'm just going to sit here and admire the irony of it.

That isn't the argument at all, and I suspect you know it. The argument is that people with higher IQ's on average tend to be less religious. The reasoning behind it being their ability to think more critically than those with lower IQ's. I really wasn't trying to get into this debate, but Guru there wanted to try to dumb up the Big Bang theory, so I had to throw that out there...
And what I am saying is that what you are throwing out there should be just that, thrown out.

To base this claim that people that are less religious have higher IQ's is being based on an intelligence standard that itself cannot be absolutely true to scientific standards, plus the absolutely miniscule differences from a study that is also based upon controversial results, from a source that itself states that the references may or may not be creditable, that claim does not seem to have much merit and as I said a stretch in rationalization.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 01, 2009, 05:25:51 PM

How in the world can I "dumb" up the big bang theory any more than it already is?!  Seriously, I guess you believe T-Rex's will chase jeeps through the jungle and eat people because science hypothetically believes it, and Hollywood sells it? 
Mojo, I don't think you are dumb at all.  However, your notion about people with intelligence intrigues me!  The more you know, the less you believe in anything other than yourself.  I went down that road and suspect most everyone does to some degree.  I'd like to keep it simple like Carl: "It ain't got no gas in it." 
I tend to view life without thinking I'm some how superior to others because of what I know or who I am.  Now I can tell that to people all day long, but living it is what really matters!

Stratobuc

Starter
#28 : October 01, 2009, 06:39:41 PM

sorry keepon, but you know there are more than just one Christian out there.

Sorry BG but you know there is more than one religion out there, any of them as viable as yours.

Let's see - how long have humans been here, worshipping one thing or the other? (a LONG time).

2000 or so years ago - Christianity comes along, and because of this - everyone else is damned?

You gotta be kidding.....

spartan

Hall of Famer
#29 : October 01, 2009, 08:21:42 PM

sorry keepon, but you know there are more than just one Christian out there.

Sorry BG but you know there is more than one religion out there, any of them as viable as yours.

Let's see - how long have humans been here, worshipping one thing or the other? (a LONG time).

2000 or so years ago - Christianity comes along, and because of this - everyone else is damned?

You gotta be kidding.....

Well, seeing as Christianity is to all intents and purposes an extension of Judaism, I would rather say this statement was a bit premature, seeing as Judaism is as old, if not older than the Egtptians, Assyrians, Persians, etc and so forth.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "In Jesus' Name, Amen" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools