Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tebow down... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#45 : September 27, 2009, 10:00:01 PM

Yes, even Tebow needs work in.� If you hadn't noticed, UF is breaking in many new WR.� Do you not think it is important for him to develop a rapport with them?� The one **CENSORED** this year has been the passing game, particularly the WR as many have been injured.� Even great players have to stay in games and get work in.

There were 12 plays prior to the sack. 11 were runs and one pass to Hernandez .... is he new? Obviously with all those runs the Urbmeister didn't appear to be running up the score but to question why the starter was still in there is a pretty legitimate question ...

How many runs were Tebow?

That wasn't your contention:

If you hadn't noticed, UF is breaking in many new WR.� Do you not think it is important for him to develop a rapport with them?� The one **CENSORED** this year has been the passing game, particularly the WR as many have been injured.�

LFO

Hall of Famer

#46 : September 27, 2009, 10:08:14 PM

Yes, even Tebow needs work in.� If you hadn't noticed, UF is breaking in many new WR.� Do you not think it is important for him to develop a rapport with them?� The one **CENSORED** this year has been the passing game, particularly the WR as many have been injured.� Even great players have to stay in games and get work in.

There were 12 plays prior to the sack. 11 were runs and one pass to Hernandez .... is he new? Obviously with all those runs the Urbmeister didn't appear to be running up the score but to question why the starter was still in there is a pretty legitimate question ...

How many runs were Tebow?

That wasn't your contention:

If you hadn't noticed, UF is breaking in many new WR.� Do you not think it is important for him to develop a rapport with them?� The one **CENSORED** this year has been the passing game, particularly the WR as many have been injured.�

My contention is that the UF offense needs work.

Tebow runs, and runs in general set up passes. 

Notice, the Tebow injury happened on a pass.  Even if they aren't in there slinging it around, it is important for them to be on the field, getting work in. Just because up to that point they hadn't passed much, does not mean they didn't need to.  Last week they stalled in the RZ.  Think it wasn't important to try and get some Red Zone passes in there? 

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#47 : September 28, 2009, 12:19:13 AM

Up 4 scores in the 3rd quarter and leaving your starting QB in is a risky proposition. He is going tot ake shots.. and LFO that initial hit was hard and it would have knocked the wind out of him. The 2nd hit was the one that made him think he was with Elvis Presley but nonetheless if Meyer was trying to run up the score then the Gators got what they deserved.
You speak the truth.

I fixed that for you.. now run along and cry on your Tim Tebow pillow.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#48 : September 28, 2009, 12:28:31 AM

I am fairly certain Urban isn't the only one who would have his starter in at QB, up 31-7, with 8 minutes to go in the 3rd to start a drive.  Especially after the UF offense had been shutout for 1 1/2 quarters. 

Troy was beating LSU by about 30 last year in the 4th quarter.  Troy lost. 

The Troy example is silly since Troy is a crummy team and LSU was a good team so you had the opposite example.

That said, all coaches still have their starters in with 8 minutes left in Q3, heck a lot would still have 'em in at 8 mins in Q4. I can't recall a game in this decade (I can recall some old Nebraska - Kansas games in the 80's) where the starters got sat half way through Q3 vs a FBS foe.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#49 : September 28, 2009, 07:48:41 PM

I am fairly certain Urban isn't the only one who would have his starter in at QB, up 31-7, with 8 minutes to go in the 3rd to start a drive.  Especially after the UF offense had been shutout for 1 1/2 quarters. 

Troy was beating LSU by about 30 last year in the 4th quarter.  Troy lost. 

The Troy example is silly since Troy is a crummy team and LSU was a good team so you had the opposite example.

That said, all coaches still have their starters in with 8 minutes left in Q3, heck a lot would still have 'em in at 8 mins in Q4. I can't recall a game in this decade (I can recall some old Nebraska - Kansas games in the 80's) where the starters got sat half way through Q3 vs a FBS foe.

I'd agree with that. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#50 : September 28, 2009, 08:04:15 PM

According to Urban, Tebow to play vs. LSU.

Then again, he's from the Belichick school.  I would expect nothing less. 

Personally I'd rather them start Brantley, just to be safe.  Unless Tebow is completely without a doubt 100% anyway. 

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#51 : September 28, 2009, 08:35:29 PM

Everyone at Florida still remembers being up 31-3 in the third on FSU and walking away with a tie.

Also, there is that trophy thing, what's it called? Oh, the Heisman! They don't give those out for sitting out half a game every week.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#52 : September 28, 2009, 08:44:21 PM

Also, there is that trophy thing, what's it called? Oh, the Heisman! They don't give those out for sitting out half a game every week.

But they also don't give them out for handing the ball off either ...

This is all just good ole 20/20 hindsight obviously but considering that Tebow was already under the weather (wasn't he?) why not give Brantley the 2nd half?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#53 : September 28, 2009, 09:50:22 PM

But they also don't give them out for handing the ball off either ...

This is all just good ole 20/20 hindsight obviously but considering that Tebow was already under the weather (wasn't he?) why not give Brantley the 2nd half?

The same reason every other coach in CFB would have his starter in there.

The same reason McCoy was in there up 40 against UTEP.

The same reason <insert name here> was in the game.  It's the 3rd quarter.  It was only halfway and 2nd possession of the 3rd when Tebow started that drive.  I do think THAT would have been his last.  As it turned out, it was. 

Questioning why Tebow was in there is asinine.  If he doesn't get hurt nobody even thinks of it.

Despite the 31-7 lead, the offense was stagnant much of the game to that point.  It was important to go out on a good drive.  It was a freak play...it happens.  To blame Urban is laughable. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#54 : October 03, 2009, 04:34:28 PM

You could go back to September 14, 1985 and argue that a three touchdown lead isn't enough. Florida led Rutgers 28-7 in the third quarter when Kerwin Bell was lifted for Rodney Brewer. Rutgers rallied for 21 points in the fourth quarter and the game finished in a 28-28 tie.

Or, you could go back to November 26, 1994, when Florida led the Tallahassee Trade School, 31-3, with less than 13 minutes showing on the clock. Danny Wuerffel never left that game, but the Seminoles rallied for 28 points and the game finished in a 31-31 tie.

Meyer knows what it's like to come back in the last moments of a game, so that probably had something to do with leaving Tebow in the game. Back on November 17, 2001 while in his first season as the head coach at Bowling Green, Meyer and the Falcons trailed Northwestern 42-28 with 3:44 remaining. The Falcons got the ball back, drove for a touchdown with 2:30 left and then tried and failed on an onside kick. Northwestern got a first down with 1:48 left and on the next two plays, Bowling Green used its final two timeouts. Northwestern fumbled on third down at the Bowling Green 22 and the Falcons recovered with 1:35 remaining. Bowling Green drove 78 yards in nine plays and scored with 36 seconds left. The Falcons went for two and won the game, 43-42.

So, while Florida was in control against Kentucky last week, was the game really over?

Nick Saban and Les Miles, who have both won national championships in the SEC don't seem to think so.

"31-7 in the third quarter is not a game that's out of reach," said Saban, the Alabama coach who won the 2003 national championship at LSU. "One score and an onside kick and a team's back in the game. Basically we didn't take our starters out until we were ahead of Arkansas 35-7 and it was halfway through the fourth quarter."

Miles, who coached LSU to the 2007 national title, said you keep your starters in the game until you know in your heart that the game is in hand. Miles recalled a situation when he was on Bo Schembechler's staff at Michigan when he asked Bo if it was time to take out the starters. Miles said Schembechler replied, "'Shut up. You keep your starters in there and fight like hell unto the end.' "As a head coach I think he's exactly right. You finish this thing right."
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tebow down... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools