Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Coach Morris gushes about JJ's practice week. « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: October 03, 2009, 11:35:04 AM

ProFootballTalk NBC Sports

Morris gushes about Josh Johnson

Posted by Mike Florio on October 3, 2009 8:53 AM ET

As quarterback Josh Johnson, a second-year, second-day draft pick who abruptly was given the starting job on Monday, prepares for his first NFL start, Bucs coach Raheem Morris is happy with what Johnson has done in practice.

"He had a really great day Wednesday," Morris said Friday.  "We came back on Thursday and didn't practice as well as we did Wednesday . . . but he was decent.  And [Friday] he cleaned up a lot of things and got a perfect red zone period in there, and he fared pretty well.  Now it's time to go out to the game and actually play."

It's a dramatic change for a guy whom the Bucs were thinking about using at receiver only days before making him the every-down quarterback.

But it's still a risky situation for the Buccaneers.  If Johnson plays well, what happens to 2009 first-rounder Josh Freeman? 

In the end, the Bucs could have another Derek Anderson/Brady Quinn situation on their hands, with strong play from Johnson making it harder for Freeman to get onto the field.

Bottom line?  In the modern NFL, quarterbacks of the future shouldn't get drafted in round one.  If, before the first-rounder becomes a starter, another guy plays well, the process gets much more complicated -- and the pressure on the youngster only increases when he finally gets the nod.

Especially after what Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco did in 2008 (and what Mark Sanchez and, to a lesser extent, Matthew Stafford are doing in 2009), quartberbacks picked in round one need to play right away.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 03, 2009, 11:51:27 AM

I would expect ANY Quarterback to have a great week against that Defense...even if it is just practice.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 03, 2009, 11:52:03 AM

But he wasn't good enough to compete in TC? I don't think for a second it had anything to do with JJ, it was a rigged QB competition between Leftwich and McCown. Loser leaves town.

And 4 weeks into the season, Morris is "gushing" over the 3rd stringer huh?  ::)

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#3 : October 03, 2009, 12:04:56 PM

not really sure what this article is really trying to say:
1) up and down practice by JJ this week and morris is gushing .. is he calling out morris?
2) is it saying don't draft qb's in the 1st rd
3) or is it saying that since qbs drafted in the 1st rd have been having success .. so if you do, then play them right away

i am confused.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 03, 2009, 12:11:12 PM

Hopefully JJ seizes this opportunity and makes this the start of something really good for the Bucs and himself.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 03, 2009, 12:11:54 PM

not really sure what this article is really trying to say:
1) up and down practice by JJ this week and morris is gushing .. is he calling out morris?
2) is it saying don't draft qb's in the 1st rd
3) or is it saying that since qbs drafted in the 1st rd have been having success .. so if you do, then play them right away

i am confused.

Apparently, so is Florio.

Capt_Chaos

Pro Bowler
#6 : October 03, 2009, 12:20:11 PM

I wish someone within the "building" would call out Morris!!!!!   

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 03, 2009, 12:22:17 PM

I'm not his biggest fan but I don't want that either. That would lead to total disaster at OBP.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

Capt_Chaos

Pro Bowler
#8 : October 03, 2009, 12:29:17 PM

I'm not his biggest fan but I don't want that either. That would lead to total disaster at OBP.

Very true and i agree. it just seems to me that Rah keeps calling out peoples names, and there's got to be a point where someone says his name, and says that his play calling should be questioned, or his ability to ajust. something!!!!  he gives way to much detail about these players. He broke down every day of this weeks practice for JJ.  thats dumb. someone should be like" yeah we had a decent practice today but Coach Rah didnt seem to know what he was doing. lol

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 03, 2009, 12:32:08 PM

how is that "gushing" ????

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 03, 2009, 12:57:58 PM

didn't see a single gush there.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Coach Morris gushes about JJ's practice week. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools