Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Grade Josh Johnson's performance A-F « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12

Larry Brackins

Starter
#15 : October 04, 2009, 06:53:00 PM

I'll go with a C. The real grade comes after several more games to see if/how he adjusts to the speed of the game.
This. You can close the thread now. Just have everybody read this post and close the thread.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 04, 2009, 06:53:02 PM

This. Where other people see "great mobility" -- I see a QB who was too confused by the defense to make a throw and unable to deliver a quick ball to the hot read to avoid the pressure.

I said this before, people are too enamored of running QB's because they see a 4 yard gain when what they should see is a missed opportunity for a bigger play in the passing game

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 04, 2009, 06:53:18 PM

Completions not where YOU need them to be...LOL �I didn't see the confusion I saw a guy extending the play with his feet and no being a sitting duck...The bad pick? �Have a you seen any good picks get thrown?

You didn't see confusion? Holding the ball too long = confused. You saw him bailing out ASAP. He was basically street balling the entire game.

If you thought he looked confused today, just wait until the eagles start hammering him from all different directions

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 04, 2009, 06:54:40 PM

Imo, I think he gets a B, if you factor in him being "new" and hardly getting any reps in the offseason.

I ALmost want to give him an A, because that was the closest game we've had yet. However, the defense seemed a bit better today (against the skins anyway) so it's hard to judge JJ's performance compared to BL's. I'll give the kid some credit, he really could have done worse on his first outing like many others before him have had. I'd say he had a better day than Campbell who's been playing in the league longer with possibly a better team. I don't think he's the "answer", but it's a nice start for the guy and a more swallow-able loss (if there is such a thing).

Well, I think he IS the answer. If he can garner a C from the majority and a B from some (like you for instance) in his FIRST game as a starter, imagine what he can do when he gets some experience under his belt. JJ really is a good QB. I don't know about Freeman. He hasn't been given a shot yet... but he's a rookie, I don't think he should get one this year (unless JJ stinks it up for at least 3 more games). But I doubt thats gonna happen. JJ is like a super accurate Mike Vick minus the cruelty to animals.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 04, 2009, 06:57:04 PM

D, and the only reason it was that high is because of his one TD pass.  The guy had no command of anything out there at all.  Its early, but he does not look like an NFL QB.  In other words, he looked exactly like a 5th round pick from a Div II school.  

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 04, 2009, 07:01:40 PM

D, and the only reason it was that high is because of his one TD pass. �The guy had no command of anything out there at all. �Its early, but he does not look like an NFL QB. �In other words, he looked exactly like a 5th round pick from a Div II school. �

Uhh... you don't recall all of those accurate passes? You don't recall all of those runs? He had command. He just panicked too many times for our liking. We've been deprived of a good QB for a long time here in Tampa and we're anxious for a great QB... so we're scrutinizing each and every QB that walks on the field (first start or not) and nobody gets any leeway because we have no patience. We have to take a chill pill and let a couple of weeks roll off our backs before we begin to be hard on someone.

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 04, 2009, 07:15:25 PM

C.. he played well enough to win..

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 04, 2009, 07:17:15 PM

C.. he played well enough to win..

Thats right. He did play well enough to win. Unfortunately, the kicker played well enough to lose.

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 04, 2009, 07:20:04 PM

Almost felt like a cop out when I initially thought it out, but it really is a C IMO.

Positives: Used his mobility to buy time, was fairly accurate, and managed the game okay initially.
Negative: Overused the mobility a little, pocket presence was shaky in the second half.

I was also going to add conservatism, but I don't know if it's a function of the playcalling and scheme they put in place for him. Maybe they felt like they couldn't allow the whole playbook to be open, or they didn't feel confident in his intermediate/long accuracy? Whatever it is, the field was way too compact and the Skins were able to exploit it eventually.

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 04, 2009, 07:22:02 PM

agreed at times he didnt trust his arm and accuracy.. He needs to continue to progress though to get that grade up.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#25 : October 04, 2009, 07:25:57 PM

I think he played alright. Besides the interception he kept the team in the game. If the kicker wasnt so bad we would win the game.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#26 : October 04, 2009, 07:28:26 PM

A Solid B considering the amount of reps he has had in his career.  He made one or two bad throws and I thought he took off alittle early instead of trying to just step up and find his receiver.  I thought the play calling could have been better especially on the goal line.  I assume they haven't put in the naked boot yet as I could have been called on the series  when we were down 6 on the five.  I hope with time  he will feel more comfortable in the pocket and not go Gradk on us.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 04, 2009, 07:29:33 PM

I'd give JJ a C-. Thought he was pretty mediocre all in all, panicked a little bit and and tucked the ball too much on passing downs. Bad pick, throwing into double coverage and almost had another pick earlier in the game. Played a much better first half in my opinion, making some good throws and forcing the Defense to respect his throwing ability. In the second half though he started running around way too much. Still, he has some promise that's for sure, but he'll need to improve by a lot to become a credible NFL QB.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#28 : October 04, 2009, 07:33:22 PM

Anywhere from a D+ to a C.....

Bails out too quickly too often, stares down one reciever, and inconsistent mechanics and accuracy. Looks like he could be one hell of a playmaker in a wild cat offense though, he needs a lot more work before he is ready to be under center every snap though.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 04, 2009, 07:38:04 PM

I'd give him a C+ only because I personally didn't see or feel him being afraid.  I saw a first start guy doing what he knows...Big difference...

Totally agree with Chev 100%, a C+ from me too.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Grade Josh Johnson's performance A-F « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools