Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why are the Bucs still running Jon Gruden's offense? « previous next »
Page: 1

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
: October 04, 2009, 06:44:51 PM

Hey guys I was just wondering why the Bucs are still running Gruden's offense. During week one this offense was totally different and attacked down field, and with each passing week it looks more and more like Gruden's offense. The short little dump offs to RB's and almost no shots down the field, and today we even got to see some shifts that reminded me of Gruden's offense. Guys I thought one of the main reasons Gruden was fired was because of offense, but we still seem to be running it.

I guess my main concern is why did the bucs move away from the offense like they had in week one? That offense was aggressive and took shots down the field and ran the ball a lot more. Now the Bucs are running Gruden's offense, so what was the point in firing him to begin with?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 04, 2009, 06:45:50 PM

Blame Ollie.  He's practically Gruden Jr.  Remember how much he loved Griese?  Let Logan call the plays.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 04, 2009, 06:49:46 PM

I guess my main concern is why did the bucs move away from the offense like they had in week one? That offense was aggressive and took shots down the field and ran the ball a lot more. Now the Bucs are running Gruden's offense, so what was the point in firing him to begin with?

Olson said they had a lot of Jago still in week 1 and as time goes on he's remaking the offense to fit his mold. Tell me which offense you want to be running right now?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 04, 2009, 06:52:24 PM

Can we please go back to Jags offense because with that offense we would have won the game today.

#4 : October 04, 2009, 07:07:33 PM

Face it, Jags had 7 offensive plays, that was his offense. He was under fire from players and the rest of the coaching staff, so when he was fired, they went back to the offense everyone knew. Not that it's just "Gruden's" offense, it's been floating around for years. Just a matter of mixing up the play calling and tailoring it for who your are playing. With the change at QB, there is going to be a feeling out period. You can't expect a new offense overnight, and blaming Olsen is childish. He was simply the most qualified person to take over at a bad time to make a change. 16-13 on the road feels a hell of a lot better than 24-0 at home. We have to give it time, really we have no choice, since it will be what it is whither you like it or not. This offense is in till the end of the season. But I do enjoy the weekly meltdowns, some of you guys have quit this team at least three times this season, but you are still here.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 04, 2009, 07:16:58 PM

Gruden's offense was a west coast hybrid that concentrated on the pass and for the QB to make or break the system. That's why he has always loved QBs. The problem is he never had the type of QB he needed for his system to work effectively (ie: Rich Gannon). By having a successful pass this in theory is supposed to open up the run.

This Olson thing is not Gruden at all. It is just a very basic offensive system with Jags ZBS sprinkled in. This is a run-first plan to open up the pass.

Olson also seems to be having trouble getting Winslow and Stevens involved in the offense. If this was Gruden's system, them two would be getting ALOT more passes thrown to them than to Clayton and Stroughter. And that is just simply because Gruden's offense relies heavily on the TE play as well.

#6 : October 04, 2009, 07:28:06 PM

Gruden's offense was a west coast hybrid that concentrated on the pass and for the QB to make or break the system. That's why he has always loved QBs. The problem is he never had the type of QB he needed for his system to work effectively (ie: Rich Gannon). By having a successful pass this in theory is supposed to open up the run.

This Olson thing is not Gruden at all. It is just a very basic offensive system with Jags ZBS sprinkled in. This is a run-first plan to open up the pass.

Olson also seems to be having trouble getting Winslow and Stevens involved in the offense. If this was Gruden's system, them two would be getting ALOT more passes thrown to them than to Clayton and Stroughter. And that is just simply because Gruden's offense relies heavily on the TE play as well.
Got you, I was thrown off at the Gruden offense reference. I don't get to see much of the Bucs on the West Coast, but have strong ties. Olsen will get it, but trust me, Jags offense was a mess, not sure how he got the job, must have BSed his way through the process, on his way to that NFL head coaching gig he covets. I figure it will be about week six with JJ at the helm that we will see things work. I am looking for this team to finish stronger than it started, giving us some solid things to build on next season.

You are totally right on Gruden's system and his type of QB. Not even sure Josh Johnson was his man, but I was really looking forward to see what he could have done with him, he thought he had his man. I am curious with the new offense he is working on now, and more importantly where he rolls that out at. 

bucs1

Practice Squad
#7 : October 04, 2009, 07:40:04 PM

Face it, Jags had 7 offensive plays, that was his offense. He was under fire from players and the rest of the coaching staff, so when he was fired, they went back to the offense everyone knew. Not that it's just "Gruden's" offense, it's been floating around for years. Just a matter of mixing up the play calling and tailoring it for who your are playing. With the change at QB, there is going to be a feeling out period. You can't expect a new offense overnight, and blaming Olsen is childish. He was simply the most qualified person to take over at a bad time to make a change. 16-13 on the road feels a hell of a lot better than 24-0 at home. We have to give it time, really we have no choice, since it will be what it is whither you like it or not. This offense is in till the end of the season.

I couldn't have said it any better than that.

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 04, 2009, 07:40:37 PM

I think its just a tailored down playbook for a 1st time starting QB..

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 04, 2009, 07:47:06 PM

Can we please go back to Jags offense because with that offense we would have won the game today.
thats right. i dont think JJ can push the rock down field  to run Jags O
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why are the Bucs still running Jon Gruden's offense? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools