Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Barrett Ruud is Overrated! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

buccaneerbruce76

Starter

#30 : October 05, 2009, 08:11:32 AM

By far Ruud is the best player on the Defense, if anything he is underrated he has done great the past few years. He makes great tackles and actually wraps up, i don't think i've seen him once get shutdown by a runner or dive and miss tackles. He's a smart player and just cause he's not a loud mouth like Ray Lewis doesn't mean he's not a great MLB. There are lots of different types of players out there, and he does his job and leads by example. Or maybe you'd prefer a player who does a dance after every tackle like merriman or lewis.

ruud better than jackson? are you kidding me?

he's the king of making tackles 5 yards downfield and racking up assists he doesn't deserve

Yes Ruud is better than Jackson, he's the leader of the defense. I love T-Jack and think he didnt get enough recognition outside of Tampa for the way he played hi rookie year. Ruud has been consistent since taking over full time for Quarles, that cant be disputed. Jackson has prove he can be that guy year in and year out and be more mature with his off the field decisions...

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 05, 2009, 09:09:08 AM

It is a bit unfair to say Ruud is overrated but he is showing that he may be a system player.  The scouts did their job by scouting a player that fit the scheme at the time, and he has been productive.  But he isn't the dominating mike LB we all hoped he would be even though the defensive tackle play has been mediocre.

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 05, 2009, 09:11:07 AM

he's average, probably looks worse on a below average squad or below average scheme or scheme not leveraging the type of players we have or whatever.  here's why he is average - after watching MLB's across the league yesterday on better defenses, it's pretty clear.  they come forward.  when the ball carrier approaches, they fill, period.  Ruud is a read/react guy and on a number of end zone view replays yesterday he is 3 to 5 yards deep, engaged in a block, and routinely over-pursues.  as the MLB, when they go outside, you play from the inside out - OLB plays from outside in.  the gaping cut backs are a result of being engaged deep by blockers instead of coming forward and hammering the lineman and not letting the lineman cross his face.  when he "falls off" the block, he makes a lot of tackles after reasonable gains.  you don't have the luxury in the NFL of being a passive MLB and being stout against the run.  this is the very reason that defenses that are tough against the run are susceptible to play action.  i guess the deal is, its better to commit to a philosophy and be good at it than to sit on your heels and be dictated to by the offense.  

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 05, 2009, 09:15:23 AM

Ruud is used to dropping back in coverage instead of being a traditional downhill mike.  It is not really his fault because he has always been that way and was drafted to fit in a scheme where the emphasis was not on a downhill mike.  Nickerson though wasn't afraid of attacking the line of scrimmage like a flaming banshee, but he was one of a kind with being capable in coverage as well.

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 05, 2009, 09:20:51 AM

like i said, probably not the right guy for the new scheme.  regardless, he's never been a hole filler, big hitter, punishing force in the middle.  he's a finesse guy that makes a lot of tackles, usually for minimal to reasonable gain, but he ain't gonna make a team that runs between the tackles one dimensional.  i don't subscribe to the "it's not his fault" or "he isn't that type of player" line of reasoning.  he's a pro football player - if the scheme requires you to jam it up there, take on lead blocks, plug a hole, shed a block at the point of attack - you do it whether you'd rather be a deep middle cover guy or not.  wouldn't say he's a liability in comparison to other areas on the defense that need attention, but he won't be in the conversation that says, "if you were starting a defense from scratch, you start with Barrett Ruud"...

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#35 : October 05, 2009, 09:55:24 AM

he's average, probably looks worse on a below average squad or below average scheme or scheme not leveraging the type of players we have or whatever.  here's why he is average - after watching MLB's across the league yesterday on better defenses, it's pretty clear.  they come forward.  when the ball carrier approaches, they fill, period.  Ruud is a read/react guy and on a number of end zone view replays yesterday he is 3 to 5 yards deep, engaged in a block, and routinely over-pursues.  as the MLB, when they go outside, you play from the inside out - OLB plays from outside in.  the gaping cut backs are a result of being engaged deep by blockers instead of coming forward and hammering the lineman and not letting the lineman cross his face.  when he "falls off" the block, he makes a lot of tackles after reasonable gains.  you don't have the luxury in the NFL of being a passive MLB and being stout against the run.  this is the very reason that defenses that are tough against the run are susceptible to play action.  i guess the deal is, its better to commit to a philosophy and be good at it than to sit on your heels and be dictated to by the offense.  
+!

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#36 : October 05, 2009, 09:55:44 AM

like i said, probably not the right guy for the new scheme.  regardless, he's never been a hole filler, big hitter, punishing force in the middle.  he's a finesse guy that makes a lot of tackles, usually for minimal to reasonable gain, but he ain't gonna make a team that runs between the tackles one dimensional.  i don't subscribe to the "it's not his fault" or "he isn't that type of player" line of reasoning.  he's a pro football player - if the scheme requires you to jam it up there, take on lead blocks, plug a hole, shed a block at the point of attack - you do it whether you'd rather be a deep middle cover guy or not.  wouldn't say he's a liability in comparison to other areas on the defense that need attention, but he won't be in the conversation that says, "if you were starting a defense from scratch, you start with Barrett Ruud"...
+1

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 05, 2009, 10:01:32 AM

RUUD made a ton of plays while Gruden/Kiffin were coaching him.  All of our young talent has regressed which is a CLEAR indication that coaching is the clear problem with this team

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 05, 2009, 10:09:01 AM

Ruud was a system player and hasn't shown any indications he can rise above that status.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 05, 2009, 10:15:53 AM

He wasn't overrated under good coaching...in fact, he was underrated.  The coaching makes all the difference.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#40 : October 05, 2009, 10:23:47 AM

He was a better fit under Kiffin, that is true.  Even still he was a distant, distant third at his position under Kiffin. 

We do miss Monte dearly. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 05, 2009, 10:25:35 AM

So the question that must be asked is this: Is he worth building a defense around?  Even with Monte and his scheme we had doubts and I haven't seen anything to change that perspective.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 05, 2009, 10:27:06 AM

So the question that must be asked is this: Is he worth building a defense around?  Even with Monte and his scheme we had doubts and I haven't seen anything to change that perspective.

I know you know the answer to your question.  Ruud is a supporting player at best, not a lead role. 

NYC BUC

Second String
#43 : October 05, 2009, 12:59:04 PM

I know you know the answer to your question.  Ruud is a supporting player at best, not a lead role. 
Could agree more! Thats why I started this thread. He's due for a big contract. Do you want to build your defense around him and make him your quarterback when he's only average? Guys who defend him always mention how many tackles he makes. If that was the barometer he would be better than Nickerson and Ray Lewis. He's only average not great! We need the quarterback of the defense to be be a great leader

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#44 : October 05, 2009, 01:13:28 PM

Ruud was overrated last year when he was getting Pro Bowl consideration...

This year he's been called out accordingly on an 0-4 team...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Barrett Ruud is Overrated! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools