Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Gaines Adams Become A Good NFL Player? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

alldaway

Hall of Famer

: October 25, 2007, 03:22:33 PM

Mario Williams > Reggie Bush

Mario is a fair comparison to Gaines becuase both are high draft picks. 

As for Rice he was not the only talented defender in Zona but it seems people have a short memory. 8)

#1 : October 25, 2007, 02:47:15 PM

Why does he have to live up to Mario Williams? They're different types of players and Williams hasn't shown to be better than above average. Adams should be compared to speed/edge rushers like Jevon Kearse, John Abraham, and Dwight Freeney. When we drafted Adams, that is who we envisioned picking. Not some bull rusher 20-30 lbs heavier like Mario.

I've been askin the same question for a few weeks now and have yet to receive an answer. And Mario ain't all that either.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 25, 2007, 01:50:23 PM

Why is Gaines' "sack" against Tennesee counted as one, anyway?

Somebody had to get credit for it. ;)

Seriously, you gotta think he's disappointed with that...not the best story to tell about your first NFL sack.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#3 : October 25, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Adams and Mario Williams - apples and oranges.

Rice didn't need Sapp in AZ to have double digit sacks his rookie year.  The #4 pick should be an immediate starter who makes an impact (other than a franchise QB) and GA is a definite bust on this grading system.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 25, 2007, 03:34:05 PM

Rice played with Eric Swann who was a good DL and had 8.5 sacks the year before Rice got there...

MBF

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 25, 2007, 10:37:41 AM

Why is Gaines' "sack" against Tennesee counted as one, anyway?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 25, 2007, 08:41:38 AM

Why does he have to live up to Mario Williams? They're different types of players and Williams hasn't shown to be better than above average. Adams should be compared to speed/edge rushers like Jevon Kearse, John Abraham, and Dwight Freeney. When we drafted Adams, that is who we envisioned picking. Not some bull rusher 20-30 lbs heavier like Mario.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

devasher

Starter
#7 : October 24, 2007, 08:18:53 PM

I love how Mario Williams has 3 sacks and 20 tackles through almost half the season, but he's a certifiable Pro Bowler and the guy that gives us the best hope for why Gaines Adams is going to be worthy of his draft status too. Never mind the rookie DT he plays next to has 1 more sack than he does, hey, can they just send the ENTIRE Houston D-Line to the Pro Bowl then? They must be pretty good...

Something to chew on....Mario Williams is 22 years old Gaines Adams is 24

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 24, 2007, 08:22:00 PM

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 24, 2007, 08:22:49 PM

I think he's gonna be a major bust. I didn't like his facial expression when it was announced that the Bucs picked him. Meaningful? Probably not. But I just don't get a good vibe about the guy.

In Verner We Trust

rpp224

Starter

#10 : October 24, 2007, 06:03:50 PM

Here are Adams' numbers through the first 7 games of his NFL career:
                                         G GS Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FUM Lost
2007  Tampa Bay Buccaneers  7  0   15     9     6   1.0      -- 1      -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
The top pick from last year's draft put up these numbers during his rookie campaign:
                                 G  GS Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FUM Lost
2006  Houston Texans  16  16  47      35  12  4.5   --      3    -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --

I think its also important to note that Williams was a starter for the whole season while Gaines is being used more as a situational type player right now. Due to that fact, the stats seem very comparable to one another. As Gaines gets more acclomated with the game speed along with some strength and technique conditioning, he could become a force, but it is too early to tell from now if he is not going to live up to expectations. I think its important for all us Buc fans to just cheer him on during our 2-game home stretch when he's on the field and help him gain some confidence so he can do what he can in helping the team get these 2 W's going into the bye week.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 25, 2007, 08:12:54 PM

Relax, at least we didn't take Jamaal Anderson or hell Ted Ginn

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 24, 2007, 03:15:28 PM

I agree with the Clemson fans. As a FSU fan and ACC fan I had a ton of respect for Gaines Adams. You guys should really listen to these Clemson fans and take their word over some schlub like Ian Beckles

Sure a bunch of his old Alumni are going to give a real balanced view.  Should we listen to the USF fans touting Grothe for the Hiesman and a bright NFL future?

Bottom line is Gaines isn't getting it done right now.  He is under sized and getting pushed around a lot.  He gets some slack as a rookie but he better bulk up for next season and step his game up.

#13 : October 24, 2007, 03:06:38 PM

I agree with the Clemson fans. As a FSU fan and ACC fan I had a ton of respect for Gaines Adams. You guys should really listen to these Clemson fans and take their word over some schlub like Ian Beckles

Those Clemson fans are very smart. Im sure there is some homer in them, but they did a great job describing him.

Give him time.  Once he is acclimated to the speed of the game you will be pleased that you got him.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 24, 2007, 02:28:23 PM

All the people that want Adams to have more time....have no fear I think hes guaranteed 2 or 3 years for lots and lots of money...and they'll keep him the same way they kept Curry....until he can be cut with out them losing money...hopefully he starts playing like hes getting paid ..real well.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Gaines Adams Become A Good NFL Player? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools