Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Veteran Leader/Sage of Team - Missing Link? « previous next »
Page: 1

garybuc

Practice Squad
: September 29, 2009, 08:34:27 PM

Given the state of the team's morale at this early point in time, who is that one player in the locker room that commands the respect of all of the other players and can fire them up with his unquestionable, hard earned,  proven respect.  In the past, I assume that Derrick Brooks could fulfill this role.  Is it Barrett, Ronde,  Hovan, Trueblood, Joseph?  Who is Tampa's Poster Child - Face of the Franchise.  I know Barrett WILL be that person soon but WHO is it TODAY?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : September 29, 2009, 08:35:32 PM

Ruud is saying the right things.

Loved it when he said it is time to be SELF ACCOUNTABLE.  Pointing fingers is a no-no, pointing thumbs is a go-go.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 29, 2009, 08:47:33 PM

Ronde commands respect. I dunno about firing the locker room up.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 29, 2009, 08:51:12 PM

No one. Not one. not even a good DC to fall upon....

Imo Ruud should be that guy, or maybe even Ronde, but NEITHER of them have had excellent play lately and seem to be the quiet-types.

THIS reason right here is why I hated the DB release. Before they did what they did, they should've asked themselves that question, "who will be our leader out there?" Because it's clear to me, without DB, half the guys out there have no clue what to do. Blame it on Bates-scheme if that's what you want, but even DB would have done better than what is going on right now regardless of what defense he's supposed to be ingrained in, or how old he is. Even if he were to never hit the field again, he's still "the guy" that could've held anyone on this defense accountable.

Most of the players out there are just pawns right now anyway, and will soon be playing elsewhere. I have my doubts that Ruud will stay either.  [banghead]

Randy1010

Starter

#4 : September 29, 2009, 08:52:28 PM

That man is sitting home watching his team disintegrate.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 29, 2009, 08:58:19 PM

Imo Ruud should be that guy, or maybe even Ronde, but NEITHER of them have had excellent play lately and seem to be the quiet-types.

THIS reason right here is why I hated the DB release. Before they did what they did, they should've asked themselves that question, "who will be our leader out there?" Because it's clear to me, without DB, half the guys out there have no clue what to do. Blame it on Bates-scheme if that's what you want, but even DB would have done better than what is going on right now regardless of what defense he's supposed to be ingrained in, or how old he is. Even if he were to never hit the field again, he's still "the guy" that could've held anyone on this defense accountable.

Most of the players out there are just pawns right now anyway, and will soon be playing elsewhere. I have my doubts that Ruud will stay either.  [banghead]

Yep, Derrick sure got the guys all fired up and back on course after Monte announced he was leaving last year.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 29, 2009, 09:26:28 PM

It's time for someone else on the roster to step up. Ruud, Penn, and plenty others are angling for lucrative, long term contracts. If none of them can provide the leadership of a guy who can't even play any more, why should we want to "build" around them?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

#7 : October 07, 2009, 01:09:55 AM

It takes more than being a good player to be a good leader.  We don't currently have anyone on this roster with the necessary attributes, or they'd be up there already.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 06, 2009, 03:50:49 PM

Most of the players out there are just pawns right now anyway, and will soon be playing elsewhere. I have my doubts that Ruud will stay either. [banghead]

Yep, Derrick sure got the guys all fired up and back on course after Monte announced he was leaving last year.

NOT the same situation at all.

He was a player then, not a coach. An the team in general was doing aweful as a group, the exception being Clifton, Bryant, and maybe Garcia. To say DB couldn't get them fired up is silly, it wasn't his job back then. The most he did (in that aspect) was control players so they didn't get out of line. He wasn't there for hype.

Besides, I'd rather have a "good" DC than DB, but between a "bad" DC or DB.... I'm taking DB every time (IF it's the tampa-two we're working with of course).

soldierk2

Second String

#9 : October 06, 2009, 04:29:04 PM

One guy who had promising leadership attributes IMO is, uhum was, Jermain Phillips , he is a veteran player with some swagger and attitude but Raheem flip flopping him at different positions has meesed up his focus and intensity. You could tell Flip had his mind on playing his own game well enough to get by and didn't really had time on his mind to control his gang on D...then it all fell apart and now he's out and injured. So don't count on him to slap faces on D to wake things up this year....
T-Jax still a question mark.???Geno's making some impact plays but is still raw for being a leader.
Ruud? pfff! please he's a joke of a leader and is playing for the paychecks since he didn't get the fat contract he wanted(and deserved, unlike Clayton etc..) in the offseason.Not even voted captain...that says it all right there.
what are we left with? effin' Hovan!?! don't think so...
The only guy that remotely backs it up would be Roy Miller. I really like the guy, He plays hard, has the swagger and attitude to command respect from his teamates. I think he IS the right candidate for leadership but as a rookie player that's not gonna happen this year. But I expect him to rise up in the coming next seasons.

Im talking about Defensive side, of course.

"Speed doesn't kill. Stupidity does."

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 06, 2009, 11:48:09 PM

One guy who had promising leadership attributes IMO is, uhum was, Jermain Phillips , he is a veteran player with some swagger and attitude but Raheem flip flopping him at different positions has meesed up his focus and intensity. You could tell Flip had his mind on playing his own game well enough to get by and didn't really had time on his mind to control his gang on D...then it all fell apart and now he's out and injured. So don't count on him to slap faces on D to wake things up this year....
T-Jax still a question mark.???Geno's making some impact plays but is still raw for being a leader.
Ruud? pfff! please he's a joke of a leader and is playing for the paychecks since he didn't get the fat contract he wanted(and deserved, unlike Clayton etc..) in the offseason.Not even voted captain...that says it all right there.
what are we left with? effin' Hovan!?! don't think so...
The only guy that remotely backs it up would be Roy Miller. I really like the guy, He plays hard, has the swagger and attitude to command respect from his teamates. I think he IS the right candidate for leadership but as a rookie player that's not gonna happen this year. But I expect him to rise up in the coming next seasons.

Im talking about Defensive side, of course.

I will say this, at least Hovan speaks up when he doesn't like something.

I still agree though, he's NOT a leader. Maybe here he is, but not on "normal" teams.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 07, 2009, 12:04:36 AM

I think Sabby and Geno have potential in the future to be leaders.  They sure are passionate and their play is improving weekly.  I could see them getting it done on the field and in the locker room.

But really now that I think of it....Caddy is the most inspirational person on the team.  I think he coyld be  a quieter steadier and overcome adversity type of player over time.  He speaks from his heart to the team?  I think it would move people.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 07, 2009, 11:39:46 AM

Right now we don't.  But let's not forget, these are kids..  We're lucky they can find Ray Jay on game day.  lol

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 07, 2009, 11:43:43 AM

Your captains of the team are Leftwich, Faine, Barber, Hovan and Will Allen...
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Veteran Leader/Sage of Team - Missing Link? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools