Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2009-2010 NBA Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 67

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#30 : October 07, 2009, 06:06:26 PM

I liek how you ranked the east, I can agree with that. As long as you dont have the Cavs over the Magic. I have respect for Boston IF they can stay helathy, which is a huge question mark. Probably moreso than any team in the NBA.

I woudl definitely have the Laker #1, the Spurs #2, and after that Im not sure but those would be my top 2

A lot of people think the Spurs are done, but I really dont understand that line of thinking. They probably have to worry about injuries about as much as the Celtics, but if they are healthy in April and May they will be as strong as ever IMO

I also based mine off Portlands schedule. they have a very favorable schedule compared to SAS and LAL. I mean all these predictions are based off a team staying healthy. For all we know Roy, Howard, Kobe, could go down.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 07, 2009, 06:10:21 PM

Should be a great year, Preseason is underway.

My top 3 in each conference
West
1) lakers
2) Portland
3) SAS

East
1) Celtics
2) Magic
3) Cavs

Just curious, how do you have Portland over SA? Barring injury that roster is absolutely stacked, and they have the experience you guys lack to go on top of it.

I don't agree that Boston is above the Magic, but I can see how others might think so. I just don't think KG is going to stay healthy or that Rasheed is going to bring what everyone thinks he will. I also think they looked dead tired at the end of last year and I can imagine it's only going to get worse this year for them.

I think Portland is stacked

1st unit
Pryzbilla
Aldridge
Batum
Roy
Blake

2nd unit
Oden
Outlaw
Webster
Fernandez
Miller

SAS age I think is catching up, and I think Portland addressed there weakness, and if last night was an indication Oden should be an asset.

It's a good lineup no doubt, but IMO:

Parker > Blake
Ginobili < Roy
Jefferson > Batum
McDyess < Aldridge
Duncan > Oden

Parker and Duncan are far superior to Blake and Oden IMO, more so than Roy is superior to Ginobili. Jefferson isn't what he once was but he's still much better than Batum. It's hard for me to judge the two benches but in playoff time it's all about your stars and I see SA having a significant talent advantage. Combine that with their experience and I just don't see Portland on their level.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 07, 2009, 06:12:52 PM

Should be a great year, Preseason is underway.

My top 3 in each conference
West
1) lakers
2) Portland
3) SAS

East
1) Celtics
2) Magic
3) Cavs

Just curious, how do you have Portland over SA? Barring injury that roster is absolutely stacked, and they have the experience you guys lack to go on top of it.

I don't agree that Boston is above the Magic, but I can see how others might think so. I just don't think KG is going to stay healthy or that Rasheed is going to bring what everyone thinks he will. I also think they looked dead tired at the end of last year and I can imagine it's only going to get worse this year for them.

I think Portland is stacked

1st unit
Pryzbilla
Aldridge
Batum
Roy
Blake

2nd unit
Oden
Outlaw
Webster
Fernandez
Miller

SAS age I think is catching up, and I think Portland addressed there weakness, and if last night was an indication Oden should be an asset.

It's a good lineup no doubt, but IMO:

Parker > Blake
Ginobili < Roy
Jefferson > Batum
McDyess < Aldridge
Duncan > Oden

Parker and Duncan are far superior to Blake and Oden IMO, more so than Roy is superior to Ginobili. Jefferson isn't what he once was but he's still much better than Batum. It's hard for me to judge the two benches but in playoff time it's all about your stars and I see SA having a significant talent advantage. Combine that with their experience and I just don't see Portland on their level.

Oden right now isnt starting, so its Pryzbilla.

If you go to the bench its not even close. They have Roger Mason Jr and thats about it.

SAS has to stay healthy. They dont have the depth not to.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 07, 2009, 06:21:31 PM

Yeah we will see....staying healthy as you said is key for pretty much everyone. I just think they (SA) loaded up for one more run and I think they are going to be very strong this year, and I think Hill is also a pretty decent player on their bench. Finley is old as dirt but those guys are necessary on a championship team.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 07, 2009, 06:29:51 PM

Again Im not disagreeing.

I just think Roy is a better player at this point of his career than Duncan, and its not a far stretch to say Aldridge is closing down on him quick as well.  and SAS has to prove to people they can stay healthy.  Plus Portland won the series vs them last year

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 07, 2009, 07:11:27 PM

I'm still not convinced that Portland found the answer to their soft frontcourt. Aldridge still has to prove he can attack the rim. I'm sure Oden takes a step forward this year, but it can't be just him and Roy...

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 07, 2009, 07:25:34 PM

I'm still not convinced that Portland found the answer to their soft frontcourt. Aldridge still has to prove he can attack the rim. I'm sure Oden takes a step forward this year, but it can't be just him and Roy...

Him and roy?

Aldridge is pretty good.

Fernandez can get to the hoop so can Andre Miller.

I think Portland has a chance to have a great front court. If Oden plays like he did last night, they will be pretty good.

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 07, 2009, 07:26:57 PM

Him and roy?

Aldridge is pretty good.

I think Portland has a chance to have a great front court. If Oden plays like he did last night, they will be pretty good.

They'll be more than pretty damn good if Oden plays like that. Portland arrived earlier than i expected.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 07, 2009, 07:36:13 PM

Him and roy?

Aldridge is pretty good.

They'll be more than pretty damn good if Oden plays like that. Portland arrived earlier than i expected.

we'll see people are very optimistic about Oden this year but I want to be proved first. I thought he did good things last year

Oden did lose 14 pounds this offseason, and he didnt look tired at all last night. He also was 2nd in the league in getting to the FT line... so if he can play 25 MPG and shoot 60% from the FT line he will be a double double guy this year.

His post game still needs work though, still pumps the ball a lot.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 07, 2009, 07:56:27 PM

Him and roy?

Aldridge is pretty good.

Aldridge is very good, but he didn't show the agressiveness he needs to consistently attack the rim. I like Fernandez' hustle, but he isn't a crasher or a strong driver against bigger teams. At least he tries though, gotta give him props for having heart. I really haven't seen Andre Miller play much, so I can't comment on him.

My point is that the lack of an inside game is what ultimately doomed Portland last year. Whether they've improved enough to make up the ground on LA, SA or Denver remaisn to be seen..

#40 : October 07, 2009, 08:49:22 PM

I liek how you ranked the east, I can agree with that. As long as you dont have the Cavs over the Magic. I have respect for Boston IF they can stay helathy, which is a huge question mark. Probably moreso than any team in the NBA.

I woudl definitely have the Laker #1, the Spurs #2, and after that Im not sure but those would be my top 2

A lot of people think the Spurs are done, but I really dont understand that line of thinking. They probably have to worry about injuries about as much as the Celtics, but if they are healthy in April and May they will be as strong as ever IMO

I also based mine off Portlands schedule. they have a very favorable schedule compared to SAS and LAL. I mean all these predictions are based off a team staying healthy. For all we know Roy, Howard, Kobe, could go down.

Oh you are 100% right, I am just pointing out that of all the teams in the NBA that have a chance at being competitive, the Spurs and Boston are most likely to get injured. They are old teams, with injury prone stars.

But like you said any team could get unlucky

Escobar, I dont knwo how you leave the Raptors out of the playoffs

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 07, 2009, 08:51:43 PM

Him and roy?

Aldridge is pretty good.

Aldridge is very good, but he didn't show the agressiveness he needs to consistently attack the rim. I like Fernandez' hustle, but he isn't a crasher or a strong driver against bigger teams. At least he tries though, gotta give him props for having heart. I really haven't seen Andre Miller play much, so I can't comment on him.

My point is that the lack of an inside game is what ultimately doomed Portland last year. Whether they've improved enough to make up the ground on LA, SA or Denver remaisn to be seen..

what doomed Portland was PG play and lack of experience. What Aldridge is doing I want him to continue that.

Portland rebounding should improve just with the addition of Martell Webster back and hopefully the extended minutes for Oden.

Andre Miller gets most of his points inside hes a piss poor outside scorer.

#42 : October 07, 2009, 08:56:34 PM

I agree with RedAlert, Portland needs to be tougher inside. I tthink they can be with who they have, but we'll see

I forgot Portland got Andre Miller, I love that guy and thought it was on of the best FA acqisitions especially for how late in free agency they got him. I love him as a player, and teh final piece portland neede din the starting lineup was PG.. BLake is nice, but Miller is the type of impact player they needed. He doesnt shoot 3s though, I dont know what Portlands system is like or what they ask for out of their PG but thats about the only thing Miller doesnt do.

I completely forgot about miller, Id say depending on Oden and the continued improvement of Aldridge the Blazers could be ready to take that next step to the upper echelon.

One thing I will mention in the Spours v Portland debate is, as great as Roy is it's tough to say yyou would takd him in April over a healthy Ginibili. In fact, Ginobili and Parker are sitll somehow pretty damn under rated, I dont care how often they get hurt. People still dont give them enough props

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#43 : October 07, 2009, 09:03:21 PM

I agree with RedAlert, Portland needs to be tougher inside. I tthink they can be with who they have, but we'll see

I forgot Portland got Andre Miller, I love that guy and thought it was on of the best FA acqisitions especially for how late in free agency they got him. I love him as a player, and teh final piece portland neede din the starting lineup was PG.. BLake is nice, but Miller is the type of impact player they needed. He doesnt shoot 3s though, I dont know what Portlands system is like or what they ask for out of their PG but thats about the only thing Miller doesnt do.

I completely forgot about miller, Id say depending on Oden and the continued improvement of Aldridge the Blazers could be ready to take that next step to the upper echelon.

One thing I will mention in the Spours v Portland debate is, as great as Roy is it's tough to say yyou would takd him in April over a healthy Ginibili. In fact, Ginobili and Parker are sitll somehow pretty damn under rated, I dont care how often they get hurt. People still dont give them enough props

I dont know... Roy was torching Artest and Battier in the playoffs, and down the stretch he was on fire. He outplayed Kobe and pretty much anyone who stepped in front of him.

Yeah Miller seems to be good, from last night you can tell hes a floor general. Portland doesnt need outside scorers (Webster, Blake, Fernandez etc) what they need is a guy who can get the ball to guys and someone with good court vision.

Talk is Portland will use Miller as the backup for now because Roy works better with Blake, and they thing Miller can really help Oden and the 2nd unit appears to be more uptempo. We'll see.

#44 : October 07, 2009, 09:07:15 PM

Sounds about like what the Magic will do with keeping Rashard at the 4 and Pietrus in the starting lineup. You might argue that on paper thats not the best thing to do, and Bass should start. But in reality the lineup might mesh better that way, against the majority of lineups we face.

Roy is a borderline superstar, and will be there very soon. But Im just saying lets not sell Ginobili short, he does things that no other SGs do and has destroyed quite a few formidable opponents in the playoffs in recent history

If Roy is a better player than Duncan like you say (and I might agree), Id say Ginobili > Aldridge still at this point
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 67
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2009-2010 NBA Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools