Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: St. Pete times calls out Ruud « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 11, 2009, 01:21:41 AM

Ruud is #2 in the NFL in tackles just to let everyone know. Least he was the last I checked.

Maybe that's because the Bucs defense has been on the field for more plays than the other teams. He's had a lot more opportunities than most MLBs. Also, Bates' defense is predicated on driving the play towards the MLB.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 11, 2009, 01:24:11 AM

Ruud is #2 in the NFL in tackles just to let everyone know. Least he was the last I checked.

Maybe that's because the Bucs defense has been on the field for more plays than the other teams. He's had a lot more opportunities than most MLBs. Also, Bates' defense is predicated on driving the play towards the MLB.

I thought Bates defense was predicated on the defensive ends getting a lot of pressure and sacks.  How's that working out?   Ruud is doing his job.   The rest of the D is not.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 11, 2009, 11:44:12 AM

Rick Stroud is a dweeb.

Ruud is 2nd in the entire league with 40 tackles,.. � � Four, 10 Tackle games in a row shows he is consistant. �He is not getting much help from the other 10 players on the field.

Ruud is taking care of his responsibility in the defensive scheme,.. � �he has rarely been called on a blitz, so his job is to clean up what the defensive line misses.

I'm telling ya, part of that is an illusion. His numbers are so high because the Bucs' defense is on the field so freakin' much. If he truly was doing and "elite" job and tackling for a loss or minimal gain, then those numbers would be way down. I like Ruud a lot but I also know statistics can be distorted. At least Geno Hayes is starting to get to the line of scrimmage and into the backfield for tackles. Ruud is getting a lot of tackles but he is not reacting fast enough. A low percentage of his tackles are for a loss or minimal gain. That's why I consider him solid but not a game-changer or impact player. He also should be held partially accountable for the defense, as a whole's, dismal performance. He is the defensive QB. He is the one responsible for making the proper reads and defensive calls and, obviously, there has been a drop-off in that regard, since he has taken over as a starter.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 11, 2009, 03:02:58 AM

Ruud us a good player but not a great one. He's never taken that step past being  a London Fletcher/Eric Barton type guy to the realm of a Lewislevel dominator like Patrick Willis has.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 11, 2009, 04:18:43 AM

Ruud us a good player but not a great one.

He may not be "great", but he's the best player on this Bucs defense.   The only other guy who deserves consideration is Ronde.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 11, 2009, 04:56:27 AM

He's just a guy who for some reason was raised in the eyes of some to elite status.  He is every bit the reason that teams have no fear of running up the middle against us. 

Disagree?  Tivo and isolate on him.  You will be amazed how ineffective he is until the play gets to the second level. 

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 11, 2009, 05:26:02 AM

He's just a guy who for some reason was raised in the eyes of some to elite status.  He is every bit the reason that teams have no fear of running up the middle against us. 

Disagree?  Tivo and isolate on him.  You will be amazed how ineffective he is until the play gets to the second level. 

I took your advice.  I don't have any games this season to view, but I popped in a couple of wins from last year and isolated him.   He looked pretty good to me.

watson

Hall of Famer
#22 : October 11, 2009, 06:01:56 AM

The thing...to me...that has always made Ray Lewis so good is he usually doesn't have to take on blockers.  His DTs tie up the OLmen and he gets lots of open shots at RBs.  I don't see the DTs for the Bucs doing as good a job on the OLs as the Ravens DTs do.  Willis in SF gets a lot of help too.  Not saying that either one of them aren't great players, but I think they are getting more help from their DLs.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 11, 2009, 07:24:17 AM

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/so-far-nothing-splashy-for-tampa-bay-buccaneers-linebacker-barrett-ruud/1043062

wow

Yawn..... The papers in Tampa are a joke.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 11, 2009, 07:28:44 AM

Here is the part to think about - as respects Ruud and others

"Ruud is confident the splash plays will come � and hopefully with it, the long-term deal he desires.

"At the same time, all I can do is prepare and do my job on the field and be as productive as I can," Ruud said. "Everybody wants to make big plays, but they don't always come to you. Sometimes, you make a great play by being prepared, studying.

"My thing is, I'm probably never going to be that flashy player. But at the same time, then don't put the restricted free agent tag on me.""

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 11, 2009, 07:54:03 AM

I couldn't believe it myself. Guy puts it on tape.

Puts WHAT on tape? Tackles 6-10 yards downfield?

Ruud CAN'T shed blockers AT ALL.

You'd be a good coach.   Bench Ruud and put in the backup.   It would be a helluva improvement....

This defense has so many problems.   Ruud isn't one of them.

I didn't say "bench him".

He's just not an IMPACT type MLB.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#26 : October 11, 2009, 08:39:20 AM

^^^^

Never was.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 11, 2009, 08:45:23 AM

Ruud is a good defender, and it would help if the DT play was better.  But is he worth giving a big contract to?  I am on the fence to be honest.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 11, 2009, 09:06:24 AM

Would I keep him here?  I guess since we don't have much better at that position.  Would I give him big money?  Not even close.  He is a lot more like a Gary Plummer type than a Ray Lewis. 

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 11, 2009, 09:17:35 AM

Would I keep him here?  I guess since we don't have much better at that position.  Would I give him big money?  Not even close.  He is a lot more like a Gary Plummer type than a Ray Lewis. 

Can you name another guy like Ray Lewis in the league?
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: St. Pete times calls out Ruud « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools