Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: To Rectify the State of the Buccaneers « previous next »
Page: 1

grefly

Starter

: October 14, 2009, 08:29:03 AM

If the speculation is true, and the Glazers are really tight on the purse strings, the *best* thing they can do for their bottom line is hire a competent coach and FO. They really never should have let Gruden go in the first place, and Allen is debatable, but that is history...

We are seeing the results of poor coaching with the existing talent on the roster - zero wins, five losses, and (realistically) many more to follow. I don't know the actual numbers, but I'm sure ticket sales are plummeting - fans are already upset at the cost of a ticket, and won't pay full price to see this level of play from a professional team. Season ticket waiting list has dwindled to nothing. Blackouts are looming. The horizon isn't looking too good on the business side right now.

So how do the Glazers address this problem?

Hire a competent front office and coaching staff. A quality coach can get the most out of the minimal talent, as Gruden did by fielding a potential playoff team during the majority of his tenure. (Don't get me wrong, Gruden had some issues too.) The extra millions that the hires would cost would easily be offset by re-energizing the fan base and building some excitement around the team again. The best way to do this "on the cheap" isn't to sign a bunch of big ticket free agents (which would be much more expensive and be poorly coached ie Washington), but to hire a coach that will squeeze every drop of potential out of the roster and a FO that will sign dependable role players to reasonable contracts. (I realize that this sounds like the previous regime - hey, I think they had it right considering the constraints they were given.) Ticket sales may not explode through the roof, but I bet they would climb from where they are now, and the profit margin would go up. By fielding a competitive team, they may be able to stave off those blackouts.

And when the economy turns completely around, the franchise will be ready to respond.

Now, if this whole situation is in preparation for the uncapped year, I don't pretend to understand all that...
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: To Rectify the State of the Buccaneers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools