Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: World Series, who'ya got goin'? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

HeyTampaBay

Starter

#30 : October 17, 2009, 07:48:57 PM

GO YANKEES(Tampa's original team)!! ;D

uh, no they're not

Growing up in Tampa they were always big here because of Steinbrenner owning so many things here, and if you drive down Dale Mabry near RJS you'd swear that they were Tampa's home team.

They didn't start training here until the mid 1990's. Several teams trained here prior to that. Most notable the Cincinnati Reds. Yankees have always had a big fan base every where. They're not Tampa's original team.

That's true because the Reds played at Al Lopez Stadium which used to stand where RJS does now in the Spring, so they also got alot of exposure in Tampa. But none the less Steinbrenner has owned a good chunk of this town for a long time and even has a high school named after him now, and waaaaay before the Rays came along I kept up with the Yankees even through all those horrible years in the late 80's to mid 90's & considered them to be our team. So now I will be rooting for them 100% the rest of the way and hopefully through the World Series.

Root for who you want, but prior to 1996 they were not "Tampa's" team even though they may have been your team. The high school being named after him has nothing to do with the Yankees, but the family's contributions to the community

So you speak for ALL of Tampa Bay and are basically saying that I was the only one rooting for them, and because of me they built that Yankees Stadium and practice facility on Dale Mabry and why so many Yankees players and the owner all live here.

Are you really that big of a dope? The practice facility wasn't built because they were "Tampa's" team. And "so many" Yankee's players didn't live here before they moved ST to Tampa from Fort Lauderdale. Hell how many of the Yankees actually make Tampa their permanent home now? Why don't you just admit you mispoke and leave it alone? The Yankees are not Tampa's "original" team. I speak for facts on that.

You speak for your circle pretty much and maybe so do I; but back in the mid 80's to mid 90's I knew of many Yankees fans young and old before the Rays ever came along, and we were all mad that they decided to put them both in the same division.

No I speak for facts ... the Yankees were not Tampa's original team neither are the Rays. Professional baseball in Tampa dates back far before the Yankees built their stadium on Dale Mabry. Who you and your circle of friends were fans of is irrelevent to the discussion.

YESSS SIR! I hearby dub thee king of all that is Tampa baseball history.

You really are that ignorant. Man.

I nominate this discussin as the dumbest, most trivial, meaningless argument of all time.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#31 : October 17, 2009, 08:05:16 PM

GO YANKEES(Tampa's original team)!! ;D

uh, no they're not

Growing up in Tampa they were always big here because of Steinbrenner owning so many things here, and if you drive down Dale Mabry near RJS you'd swear that they were Tampa's home team.

They didn't start training here until the mid 1990's. Several teams trained here prior to that. Most notable the Cincinnati Reds. Yankees have always had a big fan base every where. They're not Tampa's original team.

That's true because the Reds played at Al Lopez Stadium which used to stand where RJS does now in the Spring, so they also got alot of exposure in Tampa. But none the less Steinbrenner has owned a good chunk of this town for a long time and even has a high school named after him now, and waaaaay before the Rays came along I kept up with the Yankees even through all those horrible years in the late 80's to mid 90's & considered them to be our team. So now I will be rooting for them 100% the rest of the way and hopefully through the World Series.

Root for who you want, but prior to 1996 they were not "Tampa's" team even though they may have been your team. The high school being named after him has nothing to do with the Yankees, but the family's contributions to the community

So you speak for ALL of Tampa Bay and are basically saying that I was the only one rooting for them, and because of me they built that Yankees Stadium and practice facility on Dale Mabry and why so many Yankees players and the owner all live here.

Are you really that big of a dope? The practice facility wasn't built because they were "Tampa's" team. And "so many" Yankee's players didn't live here before they moved ST to Tampa from Fort Lauderdale. Hell how many of the Yankees actually make Tampa their permanent home now? Why don't you just admit you mispoke and leave it alone? The Yankees are not Tampa's "original" team. I speak for facts on that.

You speak for your circle pretty much and maybe so do I; but back in the mid 80's to mid 90's I knew of many Yankees fans young and old before the Rays ever came along, and we were all mad that they decided to put them both in the same division.

No I speak for facts ... the Yankees were not Tampa's original team neither are the Rays. Professional baseball in Tampa dates back far before the Yankees built their stadium on Dale Mabry. Who you and your circle of friends were fans of is irrelevent to the discussion.

YESSS SIR! I hearby dub thee king of all that is Tampa baseball history.

You really are that ignorant. Man.

I nominate this discussin as the dumbest, most trivial, meaningless argument of all time.

What argument? 

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 18, 2009, 03:33:08 PM

Its gonna be the yanks and the phils but I would love to see nyy vs dodgers.  Torre coming back would be too ironic and the yanks would beat them over the head.

NYY  vs PHI could be one of the best matchups in a WS since NYY vs ATL in 1996.  I think Philly;s pen would do them in.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#33 : October 21, 2009, 12:39:01 PM

Unfortunately they are going to have to add some additional replay for the postseason.  The number of blatantly missed calls the past couple of seasons is beyond embarassing

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#34 : October 19, 2009, 04:19:58 PM

Ha, Jeter leads off with a bomb.

#35 : October 19, 2009, 06:04:36 PM

Torre coming back would be too ironic and the yanks would beat them over the head.

I really dont understand that. Do you think the Yankees offense is that much bette rthan the Dodgers offense? Because the pitching staffs are VERY similar

The yanks have CC, ok hes a beast

After that the Yanks have a bunch of guys that have a coin flip chance of getting blown up

The Dodgers have Kershaw and BIllingsly, 2 talented young starters without much experience. After that they have a few guys (Kuroda, Wolf, Padilla) who are just as likely to have a good game as burnett, Pettitte or JOba

The yanks may beat LA, but I just dotn see where the big advantage is. Experience maybe, and thats about it

#36 : October 19, 2009, 06:07:15 PM

Chrispy, I liked the Braves when I was younger. Then I liked the Yanks, and my dad still has season tickets for their spring training games, but when the Rays got here I became a Rays fan like every non-douchy Tampa resident.

You are no better than Cowboys and 49ers fans that have lived here all of their life but stuck by their powerhouses instead of becoming BUcs fans

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#37 : October 19, 2009, 09:06:31 PM

Angels win game 3 to keep it interesting.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#38 : October 19, 2009, 09:10:22 PM

That was a heck of a game.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#39 : October 20, 2009, 02:17:50 AM

Its gonna be the yanks and the phils but I would love to see nyy vs dodgers. Torre coming back would be too ironic and the yanks would beat them over the head.

NYY vs PHI could be one of the best matchups in a WS since NYY vs ATL in 1996. I think Philly;s pen would do them in.
Angels look tough as well ICIT.

I knew you would come back once the Yanks were in it...

Hopefully the Phils and Yanks play each other.  Would be the most exciting series to watch, IMO.

Phils have so much heart, a ton of plate patience, and Cholly is making the bets calls of his life...espescially placing all that trust in Lidge, who has responded BIG TIME.  Anyone who loves baseball can appreciate how the Phils are playing.  Calm, cool...very professional, and they are smiling.

The Yanks had a tough road to deal with...and I know you teabagged on A-Rod as most Yankee fans have.  He has been money for you guys, and suddenly all the crap mouth has stopped.  Funny huh?  How the guy can be your saviour this year, after a long drought...deemed a playoff bum, when so much scrutiny was placed on him. 

Phils have to win one more however.  With Hamels going in, I am a bit leery...he got that fat contract, and he has not been the same.  Same applies to Lidge.  Hopefully, they find their love of the game again, now that their monies are in order.  Yankees have a tough sled ahead of them as well...the Angels have played them TOUGH.

In the end, I would love to see Yanks/Phils.  Screw the Torre going back to NY deal.  That is horsecrap.  He was a class manager in NY, a good manager.  I hate all Yankees, but Torre was one guy I respected...

Good luck ICIT.  Hope it is indeed a Yanks/Phils WS.  If not, so be it. 

#40 : October 20, 2009, 04:38:37 PM

Ive always said it was a joke how everyone treated A Rod. If a great player struggle sin the playoffs, its just coincidence. Its a cold streak. Nothing more. I never agreed with sayin gA Rod isnt clutch. Just like everyone who said Bonds wasnt clutch, then in 2002 he had basically the best playoffs ever.

Baseball isa game where you fail 70% of the time, and cold streaks are common for EVERYONE. But in the playoffs everyone is under a microscope so if you go 3 for 30 they treat it like you are just a terrible playoff player. If that 3 for 30 stretch comes in June nobody cares though.

When a great player doesnt play great in the playoffs its just a cold streak. Thats it

Look at Pujols, he had a terrible playoffs. Is he not clutch?

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 20, 2009, 10:39:28 PM

Chrispy, I liked the Braves when I was younger. Then I liked the Yanks, and my dad still has season tickets for their spring training games, but when the Rays got here I became a Rays fan like every non-douchy Tampa resident.

You are no better than Cowboys and 49ers fans that have lived here all of their life but stuck by their powerhouses instead of becoming BUcs fans

Except for whenever the Rays and Yankees play I do root for Tampa Bay 100%, but if those two are not playing each other then I want the Yankees to beat whomever they're playing - especially Boston.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#42 : October 20, 2009, 10:51:24 PM

Nice 4 inning, 4 BB, 89 pitch outing from Kaz tonight.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#43 : October 20, 2009, 10:53:33 PM

Anyone else see the two horrible calls at third base by McClellan?  Guy should have been pulled off the field immediately

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#44 : October 21, 2009, 12:32:15 PM

Anyone else see the two horrible calls at third base by McClellan?  Guy should have been pulled off the field immediately

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=4581598

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: World Series, who'ya got goin'? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools