Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: World Series, who'ya got goin'? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#45 : October 23, 2009, 01:05:41 AM

This year has been abysmal for calls.  Even the MLB recognizes it, thank goodness.

The plate umps (sans the last Yanks-Angels game) have been horrid, on all accounts. 

Some replay is needed for sure.

Phillies have to wait a few more to see who they really got.

To be honest, I would rather see the Yankees...the Phils were horrible against the Angels for whatever reason.

I still think Phils/Yanks.  It would also be the best matchup to watch.  Both of these teams are very good.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#46 : October 26, 2009, 09:31:37 AM

I'll take Yanks/Phils

Hopefully Phillies-Yankees.

Would be the best series to watch, IMO...

Yanks/ Phillies

Yankees win it in 6.

Good calls.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#47 : October 26, 2009, 04:47:45 PM

This year has been abysmal for calls. Even the MLB recognizes it, thank goodness.

The plate umps (sans the last Yanks-Angels game) have been horrid, on all accounts.

The strike zones have been inconsistent at best, but that little graphic strike zone TV has been using really illustrates what has been going on for years. And since you can't change that, short of taking balls and strikes away from the umps altogether, I hope they just delete it completely. All it does is anger the fans..

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#48 : October 26, 2009, 05:03:23 PM

This year has been abysmal for calls. Even the MLB recognizes it, thank goodness.

The strike zones have been inconsistent at best, but that little graphic strike zone TV has been using really illustrates what has been going on for years. And since you can't change that, short of taking balls and strikes away from the umps altogether, I hope they just delete it completely. All it does is anger the fans..

It might, on the other hand, force the umps to reevaluate what they are doing, what they are seeing.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#49 : October 26, 2009, 05:52:32 PM

I don't know.  When they show that graphic it appears the umps get the ball/strike call right a heck of a lot more often than wrong.  You now how hard it can be to call pitches at that level?  Just need consistency and not any ridiculous missed ball/strike calls.  Bigger problem is those completely obvious misses that have been going on and went on last year.  Ball/strikes and bang bang safe/out calls should be left to the human element.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#50 : October 26, 2009, 06:47:12 PM

I'd be ok with it if all the umps had the same strike zone, but the calls in a game like Phil/LA #3 were ridiculous. That strike zone was twice as wide as it was high. The ump was calling strikes that, according to that graphic, were 8-12 inches off the plate. He called 'em bad for both teams, yea, but the point is they were BAD, and the graphic just made them look worse...

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#51 : October 26, 2009, 06:56:34 PM

Any world series without Manny Ramirez is watchable, but I am downright excited to see this one.  Clearly the 2 best teams are matched up!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#52 : October 26, 2009, 08:24:21 PM

Any world series without Manny Ramirez is watchable, but I am downright excited to see this one. Clearly the 2 best teams are matched up!

Exactly.

If the product on the field is engaging, entertaining, then to me, the World Series is a success.

Now if the teams play tight, I will be thrilled.  I love the tension in baseball.  It is palpable in a close game.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: World Series, who'ya got goin'? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools