Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Woeful Drafting Puts Bucs Hickey On The Hot Seat « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#30 : October 16, 2009, 09:40:51 PM

We have drafted really only ONE good 1st round pick in the past 5 years that's totally panned out and that is - Davin Joseph.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 16, 2009, 09:46:30 PM

We have drafted really only ONE good 1st round pick in the past 5 years that's totally panned out and that is - Davin Joseph.
I think Talib will ultimately be better than Joseph. Joseph is ok, but consider Graham had his best games last season when Joseph was hurt and Zuttah was playing.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Mean D

Pro Bowler

#32 : October 16, 2009, 09:51:05 PM

Doesn't matter how bad we draft.  Our biggest bust in years is named Michael Clayton.  Gruden just benched him then let him go.  Raheem?  Brought him back and resigned him to a 26 million dollar contract.  RAHEEM MUSY GO!!!

3drdre

Starter

#33 : October 16, 2009, 09:51:59 PM

My draft research suggest the realistic expectation should be getting 2-3 impact players in the Draft every year.

I think the Bucs front office has been solid, but not great in the Draft.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#34 : October 16, 2009, 10:08:03 PM

What does impact mean - bc to me that would be pro bowlers - so clearly your definition is needed 3drdre

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#35 : October 17, 2009, 01:58:04 AM

At this rate Hickey, shouldn't last much longer - A second rounder wasted on receiver Dexter Jackson released, first rounder on Adams traded, second rounder on Sears doubtful to ever play again - thought the mantra was to draft players who had a passion for the game, it would clearly seem that someone is not doing their due diligence when it comes to the compilation of information gathering. 

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

burger40

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 17, 2009, 03:46:59 AM

My draft research suggest the realistic expectation should be getting 2-3 impact players in the Draft every year.

I think the Bucs front office has been solid, but not great in the Draft.
teams think each year that they have gotten 2 or more possible impact players but with the huge bust rate of different positions such as WR (ESPN ran an article of the 40 WRs taken in the 1st RD past 10 years only 14 even start for their team and only one in the last 8 years has made multiple pro-bowls Larry Fitz) this is why the Pats do a good job by trading down and stacking up talent it spreads the risk.

i think our drafting of top picks has been very average but we have done a good job in later rounds with guys like Tanard, Hayes, and Zuttah being drafted mid to late and are now solid players who will be starters for a while.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

watson

Hall of Famer
#37 : October 17, 2009, 04:25:19 AM

What does impact mean - bc to me that would be pro bowlers - so clearly your definition is needed 3drdre
Since the average career of most players is 5 years.....by your definition of an impact player.....in order for a team to be successful in the draft, each team should have 10 pro bowlers each year.  So we are looking at 320 players in the pro bowl.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Thomas

Starter

#38 : October 17, 2009, 04:52:23 AM

when do we start drafting performance over potential? We drafted Adams whom skeptics had identified as lazy & took plays off...but we spent a top 10 on him, Clayton is another first rounder - but he shoulda been a good pick but he ruined himself, Cadillac I think is still a good pick as long as we keep platooning him with other backs as we are doing presently, the jury is still out on Talib - he could go either way.
Winslow, AB, Ruud, Cadillac, Hayes, Wilkerson, the o-line...keepers IMO

I am have taken a liking to some of the things Raheem is doing esp interested to see how he handles Clayton (major loser). I think he is carving this team up moving the pretenders out of here quickly. But if the winning doesnt start soon it will be all for naught...I think they give him a pass this year and see how the improvements pan out.

BucsMagic64

Starter

#39 : October 17, 2009, 04:53:03 AM

The problem with the Bucs drafting even during Dungy and McKay......they couldn't hit that home run pick. Couldn't land a star player who was a Pro Bowl lock if healthy to be a huge key to a possible Super Bowl run. We hit a two run shot in '95 with Sapp and Brooks and have stuttered since. We've found some decent players, but every team will. Dominik needs to find that star player, maybe he already drafted him, maybe not. But we need to start adding some elite players and not just good players.

Thomas

Starter

#40 : October 17, 2009, 05:31:42 AM

Does Archie Manning have any more sons?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 17, 2009, 05:33:55 AM

Yep.  Cooper Manning.   But he has spinal stenosis and can't play football anymore.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 17, 2009, 06:33:46 AM

Dennis will have at least one more draft, and then maybe Dominik would bring in someone with an eye for talent to help with the drafting. But I'd be surprised if Dominik ever demotes Dennis or fires him. They are best friends.

Although I'm still optimistic about the "potential" of this past draft, these guys better hit the lotto sometime very soon or they will have plenty of time to spend together as BFF's outside of football.

Turn the page.

devasher

Starter
#43 : October 17, 2009, 11:33:18 AM

The problem with the Bucs drafting even during Dungy and McKay......they couldn't hit that home run pick. Couldn't land a star player who was a Pro Bowl lock if healthy to be a huge key to a possible Super Bowl run. We hit a two run shot in '95 with Sapp and Brooks and have stuttered since. We've found some decent players, but every team will. Dominik needs to find that star player, maybe he already drafted him, maybe not. But we need to start adding some elite players and not just good players.

I don't know about you but I thought Ronde Barber, Brian Kelly and Donnie Abraham at corner, Alstott and Dunn at RB were pretty much home run picks...and they were drafted by the Dungy/McKay regime after Brooks and Sapp.

If your requirement for "home run pick" is equivalent to HOFer as it appears, well then you are talking roughly 2 of those players available in a given draft. It would seem an odd mantra to be yelling for any front office to "Pick more Hall of Famers!!!"

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#44 : October 17, 2009, 03:21:38 PM

Yep.  Cooper Manning.   But he has spinal stenosis and can't play football anymore.

SIGN HIM!!! He is still more mobile than Leftwich.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Woeful Drafting Puts Bucs Hickey On The Hot Seat « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools