Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JJ Taking Over Line Calls from Faine « previous next »
Page: 1

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

: October 16, 2009, 10:16:30 AM

But Faine has final say. I wonder if this will cause any delay of game penalties...

Source: JoeBucsFan

Excerpt...

“We often, even a year ago with Jeff Garcia when he was the starter, there was a big difference when [Garcia] was in and when Brian [Griese] was in. [Garcia] felt much more comfortable with Jeff Faine making the calls. [Garcia] had never done that in his career and he wasn’t real interested in that. And it wasn’t an issue but somewhat it is. Our quarterback has to get guys in the right places,” Olson said. “And so we ask [Josh Johnson and Josh Freeman] to do that and that’s a big part of the quarterback development. I think if the great ones, if you watch, especially nowawdays with all the zone blitzes, it’s important that the quarterbacks understand the protection part of it. …Josh Johnson is very confident in his ability, and I’m very confident in him to getting us to the right points in the protections.

“If there’s an issue, defer it to Faine. If you made [a call] and Faine says, ‘Uh, uh. Uh, uh. We’re going here with it.’ Understand that we’ll defer to Faine because of his experience right now as a veteran player. That’s what we did last year with Brian Griese. And so that will help both the Josh’s right now.”

#1 : October 16, 2009, 10:19:04 AM

I personally would want a young QB 'aware' of the protection calls (not necessarily making them) and focused on the coverage.

Less is better.

SpeedyClaxton

Starter

#2 : October 16, 2009, 10:24:32 AM

Josh Johnson is a very smart young man, I'd like to know what he thinks about making line calls. Im sure he's up for the challenge.

We shut down \\\\\\\" The Vet\\\\\\\" and we opened up Lincoln Financial with a bang!!!!

#3 : October 16, 2009, 10:26:18 AM

That's the point, he IS making the line calls, and not doing a horrible job it either...

Let Faine do it... he's the co-leader of the offense.

calicojack

Starter
#4 : October 16, 2009, 10:30:11 AM

Jeff Faine talked about this back in April...

I could be wrong, but I think this has already been happening...

The Dream Team

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 16, 2009, 10:38:37 AM

Jeff Faine talked about this back in April...

I could be wrong, but I think this has already been happening...

Link is dead. They talked about it but I don't think it was fully implemented with Lefty. Not 100% sure.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 16, 2009, 10:41:58 AM

Back in April, injured Bucs center Jeff Faine was annoyed because the team’s new offense was stripping him of his offensive line call duties and placing them with the quarterback – hardly uncommon in the NFL.

Barking out pre-snap reads and positioning changes would fall to the guy with the birds-eye view walking up to the line of scrimmage, rather than the Notre Dame grad under center.

But on Friday, speaking on 1010 AM, Faine said “that transition has not happened yet.”  He referenced Byron Leftwich is still in a learning curve with the new offense and that the center will keep that role for now.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 16, 2009, 10:43:47 AM

But on Friday, speaking on 1010 AM, Faine said “that transition has not happened yet.”  He referenced Byron Leftwich is still in a learning curve with the new offense and that the center will keep that role for now.

Presumably then that had changed by the start of the season since April is when BL signed so we can assume our QB's are making the calls and not Faine.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

calicojack

Starter
#8 : October 16, 2009, 10:45:23 AM

Back in April, injured Bucs center Jeff Faine was annoyed because the team’s new offense was stripping him of his offensive line call duties and placing them with the quarterback – hardly uncommon in the NFL.

Barking out pre-snap reads and positioning changes would fall to the guy with the birds-eye view walking up to the line of scrimmage, rather than the Notre Dame grad under center.

But on Friday, speaking on 1010 AM, Faine said “that transition has not happened yet.” He referenced Byron Leftwich is still in a learning curve with the new offense and that the center will keep that role for now.

Uh huh... Which Friday?

The Dream Team

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 16, 2009, 10:45:32 AM

But on Friday, speaking on 1010 AM, Faine said that transition has not happened yet. He referenced Byron Leftwich is still in a learning curve with the new offense and that the center will keep that role for now.

Presumably then that had changed by the start of the season since April is when BL signed so we can assume our QB's are making the calls and not Faine.

Nope. The quote is from early September. Faine was doing it in the first game.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 16, 2009, 10:46:28 AM

Back in April, injured Bucs center Jeff Faine was annoyed because the team's new offense was stripping him of his offensive line call duties and placing them with the quarterback - hardly uncommon in the NFL.

But on Friday, speaking on 1010 AM, Faine said "that transition has not happened yet." He referenced Byron Leftwich is still in a learning curve with the new offense and that the center will keep that role for now.

Uh huh... Which Friday?

Uhhhhh. Click on the link and find out for yourself.

Faine played one game. Not hard to figure out.

Sorry, no link. I didn't want to promote a competing site more than I normally do.

Here it is...

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=16513

burger40

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 16, 2009, 01:36:07 PM

JJ is definitely smart enouh to handle it and anyone reading my posts knows i think he's a stud and hopefully the future but Faine is a very good center and should pry be making the calls for now so JJ can focus on coverages unless the coaches think it'll improve their blitz pickup

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JJ Taking Over Line Calls from Faine « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools