Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Judge refuses to grant marriage license to interracial couple « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: October 16, 2009, 09:39:58 AM

NEW ORLEANS – A white Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have.

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.

Beth Humphrey, 30, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Humphrey, an account manager for a marketing firm, said she and McKay, a welder, just returned to Louisiana. She is white and he is black. She plans to enroll in the University of New Orleans to pursue a masters degree in minority politics.

"That was one thing that made this so unbelievable," she said. "It's not something you expect in this day and age."

Humphrey said she called Bardwell on Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed. She says Bardwell's wife told her that Bardwell will not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples. Bardwell suggested the couple go to another justice of the peace in the parish who agreed to marry them.

"We are looking forward to having children," Humphrey said. "And all our friends and co-workers have been very supportive. Except for this, we're typical happy newlyweds."

"It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. She said the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 "that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 16, 2009, 09:42:42 AM

"I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

This asshat does realize that you can have kids w/o marriage, right?

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 16, 2009, 10:50:44 AM

Ignorance alive and well.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 16, 2009, 11:10:20 AM

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

What a guy!

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 16, 2009, 11:32:48 AM

I know this a isolated incident but damn .....

lovethe bucs

Second String

#5 : October 16, 2009, 11:57:02 AM

That guy is an idiot and uneducated.  People fear what they dont know or dont understand.  Tells you about the educational system in good ole  La..

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 16, 2009, 12:27:30 PM

Tiger Woods should beat him in the head with a 7 iron.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way,"

I'm not a duck, I just have feathers, webbed feet, a bill, and I quack.

they use my bathroom.

But only the specially marked bathroom.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

Those poor children, wouldn't want them to suffer and become President of the United States!

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Separately, but equally. Yeah, I've heard that before.

She said the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 "that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

about a dozens thread on here would disagree with that, as would the State of California and several others. But that's a different topic.

So how in the heck did this guy become a JP? Only in Louisiana.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 16, 2009, 06:05:42 PM

Nut case - remove him

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 16, 2009, 06:08:54 PM

In the wasteland that is LA, Tangipahoa is considered a wasteland.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 16, 2009, 08:53:50 PM

So how in the heck did this guy become a JP? Only in Louisiana.

Actually, how does anyone become a Justice of the Peace? What's the procedure ....?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 16, 2009, 08:56:21 PM

Actually, how does anyone become a Justice of the Peace? What's the procedure ....?

Election

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 17, 2009, 06:13:04 PM

Step
Contact your secretary of state office to find out the requirements and application procedure to become a Justice of the Peace.

Step
Know the basic requirements - be a resident of the state you are applying in, be a registered voter for the three years before applying and sign a written oath stating you have never been convicted of a crime. You must go through a state police records check and pay the fee for the commission.

Step
Submit the required documents, proofs and fees to your secretary of state office. All background checks will be done and your application will be processed, all of which could take up to 10 weeks.

Step
Wait to see if the governor and executive counsel appoint you after receiving your application and nomination. If this happens, you are commissioned for five years. You will be sent a variety of materials, some of which need to be sent back and some you keep. You will also receive a fee guide, as in most states you are only allowed to charge a set amount of each service that you are able to perform.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 17, 2009, 08:35:12 PM

Step
Contact your secretary of state office to find out the requirements and application procedure to become a Justice of the Peace.

Step
Know the basic requirements - be a resident of the state you are applying in, be a registered voter for the three years before applying and sign a written oath stating you have never been convicted of a crime. You must go through a state police records check and pay the fee for the commission.

Step
Submit the required documents, proofs and fees to your secretary of state office. All background checks will be done and your application will be processed, all of which could take up to 10 weeks.

Step
Wait to see if the governor and executive counsel appoint you after receiving your application and nomination. If this happens, you are commissioned for five years. You will be sent a variety of materials, some of which need to be sent back and some you keep. You will also receive a fee guide, as in most states you are only allowed to charge a set amount of each service that you are able to perform.

I kind of figured that what it was, a super glorified Notary Public ....
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Judge refuses to grant marriage license to interracial couple « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools