Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With Gaines gone, what about the giant murals outside of Raymond James? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

bucs1

Practice Squad
#30 : October 17, 2009, 12:17:24 PM

i wouldn't mind the extra picks, but Dough Williams and the people who make our draft picks STINK ON ICE! Why give up starters when you know theyre only gonna draft another "Dexter Jackson"

Why do you think Doug Williams has anything to do with the draft?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 17, 2009, 12:18:28 PM

I always thought Doug was on the pro personnel side of the Bucs organization?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 17, 2009, 12:19:32 PM

If he doesn't, what is he being paid for?

bucs1

Practice Squad
#33 : October 17, 2009, 12:27:26 PM

I always thought Doug was on the pro personnel side of the Bucs organization?

Exactly. He didn't have a whole lot to do with any of our draft selections other than maybe a little input here and there on who he liked.

If he doesn't, what is he being paid for?

He is the Director of Pro Personnel. If you read his bio on Buccaneers.com, it basically says that his resposibility is to scout NFL players to sign in free agency and to pick up when needed.

That has nothing to do with the drafting of players. That would be the Director of College Scouting, Dennis Hickey, and these guys:

Jim Abrams
Frank Dorazio
Andre Forde
Brian Hudspeth
Byron Kiefer
Tony Kinkela
Richard Mann II
Tom Throckmorton
Seth Turner

After reading through Doug Williams' bio, here's something that I didn't like:

"Williams also had a hand in the re-signing of WR Michael Clayton this past offseason. Drafted in 2004, Clayton pieced together the fifth-most prolific rookie receiving campaign in NFL history while setting Buccaneers rookie records for most receptions (80), receiving yards (1,193) and receiving touchdowns (seven) in a season."

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 17, 2009, 12:37:36 PM

In another thread, someone was saying Dominik wasn't responsible for the draft because HE was the director of scouting Pro Personnel.    Which is it?   Doug Williams or Mark Dominik?   (last year for example)    How many guys do you need directing that?   

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 17, 2009, 12:39:34 PM

In another thread, someone was saying Dominik wasn't responsible for the draft because HE was the director of scouting Pro Personnel.    Which is it?   Doug Williams or Mark Dominik?   (last year for example)    How many guys do you need directing that?   

You honestly do not know the answer to that?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 17, 2009, 12:41:30 PM

I do not.   Seems one person is enough for that job.   

bucs1

Practice Squad
#37 : October 17, 2009, 12:44:04 PM

In another thread, someone was saying Dominik wasn't responsible for the draft because HE was the director of scouting Pro Personnel. Which is it? Doug Williams or Mark Dominik? (last year for example) How many guys do you need directing that?

Mark Dominik is the GM, so now he's partially responsible for the draft. Before, that wasn't really his job as a Director of Pro Personnel. Doug Williams was a Pro Personnel Scout, as is Shelton Quarles now, and has been promoted to the Director of Pro Personnel this year because of the promotion of Mark Dominik to GM. Do you get it now?

Guys like these don't have a lot to do with the draft:

Victor Green
Shelton Quarles
Justin Sheridan
Doug Williams

Guys like these are mainly responsible for the draft, as it is their job:

Dennis Hickey
Jim Abrams
Frank Dorazio
Andre Forde
Brian Hudspeth
Byron Kiefer
Tony Kinkela
Richard Mann II
Tom Throckmorton
Seth Turner

There are two parts to the front office if you didn't know.

jcsm916

Rookie
#38 : October 17, 2009, 12:44:27 PM

They can replace Gaine's mural with one of Brian and Joel counting their rubles with huge smiles on their faces!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 17, 2009, 12:47:59 PM

In another thread, someone was saying Dominik wasn't responsible for the draft because HE was the director of scouting Pro Personnel. Which is it? Doug Williams or Mark Dominik? (last year for example) How many guys do you need directing that?

Mark Dominik is the GM, so now he's partially responsible for the draft. Before, that wasn't really his job as a Director of Pro Personnel. Doug Williams was a Pro Personnel Scout, as is Shelton Quarles now, and has been promoted to the Director of Pro Personnel this year.

"director of pro personnel".   So I guess that means he decides who the Bucs bring in as free agents?   Like Crowell, Steussie, Garner, Deese, etc.   There have been more bust free agents than there have been bust draft picks.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#40 : October 17, 2009, 12:51:00 PM

Mark Dominik is the GM, so now he's partially responsible for the draft. Before, that wasn't really his job as a Director of Pro Personnel. Doug Williams was a Pro Personnel Scout, as is Shelton Quarles now, and has been promoted to the Director of Pro Personnel this year.

"director of pro personnel". So I guess that means he decides who the Bucs bring in as free agents? Like Crowell, Steussie, Garner, Deese, etc. There have been more bust free agents than there have been bust draft picks.

Yes, that is the job of a Director of Pro Personnel and his staff. Didn't you read what I read about Doug Williams from his bio:

"Williams also had a hand in the re-signing of WR Michael Clayton this past offseason. Drafted in 2004, Clayton pieced together the fifth-most prolific rookie receiving campaign in NFL history while setting Buccaneers rookie records for most receptions (80), receiving yards (1,193) and receiving touchdowns (seven) in a season."

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 17, 2009, 12:54:49 PM

There was a newspaper article back in 2004 saying Williams also had a part in Clayton being drafted.   I'm not sure why that was the case since supposedly Doug has nothing to do with college players...    Clayton being from Louisiana leads me to believe it's true.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 17, 2009, 01:04:08 PM

Like I said before, Williams isn't directly responsible for the selection of any draft picks, but he might give his opinions and input here and there. Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden used to listen to anybody's opinion about the draft and free agency. They would listen to guys from pro and college personnel to position coaches all the way down to the cleaning crew.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cleaning crew was giving them the best advice.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#43 : October 17, 2009, 01:01:35 PM

There was a newspaper article back in 2004 saying Williams also had a part in Clayton being drafted. I'm not sure why that was the case since supposedly Doug has nothing to do with college players... Clayton being from Louisiana leads me to believe it's true.

Like I said before, Williams isn't directly responsible for the selection of any draft picks, but he might give his opinions and input here and there. Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden used to listen to anybody's opinion about the draft and free agency. They would listen to guys from pro and college personnel to position coaches all the way down to the cleaning crew.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#44 : October 17, 2009, 01:20:49 PM

Go back about 2-3 years and Minnesota's front line sucked along with their whole defense pretty much

In 06, their defense ranked 8th

In 07, they ranked 20th

In 08, they ranked 6th

I wouldn't be surprised if the cleaning crew was giving them the best advice.

Which is why they're no longer here.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With Gaines gone, what about the giant murals outside of Raymond James? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools