Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Standings « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#45 : October 26, 2009, 11:51:36 AM

I'm not sure how Florida leapfrogs Bama, when they nearly lost to an Arkansas team that got pushed around all day by unranked Ole Miss, then only beat Mississippi State by 10 (didn't even cover the spread for cryin out loud).  Bama squeaked by unranked and offensively non-existant Tennessee, but Texas blew out their "test".  How does Texas not get the #1 spot?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#46 : October 26, 2009, 12:05:27 PM

Again so far the system hasnt screwed up. The top 3 teams are top 3.

If Texas and Iowa win out, Iowa will disagree and have a damn good case. Undefeated with a OOC win vs Arizona and road wins @PSU and @OSU.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#47 : October 26, 2009, 12:49:52 PM

USC lost to UW without Barkley or Mays. And with Sark and Holt coaching at UW. Sorta like Florida faced this weekend minus there 2 best players. Yes they lost, but again its not as bad as it appears.

I think too much was made about Barkley missing that game.  He's a good player, but wasn't a difference maker yet, and hardly their best offensive weapon...

...Let's not make his absence out to be equal to Tebow missing a game for Florida.

Aaron Corp absolutely blows. Barkley would've made a difference.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#48 : October 26, 2009, 01:00:15 PM

USC lost to UW without Barkley or Mays. And with Sark and Holt coaching at UW. Sorta like Florida faced this weekend minus there 2 best players. Yes they lost, but again its not as bad as it appears.

I think too much was made about Barkley missing that game.  He's a good player, but wasn't a difference maker yet, and hardly their best offensive weapon...

...Let's not make his absence out to be equal to Tebow missing a game for Florida.

Aaron Corp absolutely blows. Barkley would've made a difference.

I noticed you edited out the stats in my quote, why is that?

He might have played better than Corp that day, we don't know.  But from looking at what Barkley had done previously, it wouldn't have been much better.  At that/this point, Barkley isn't head and shoulders above Corp.  He will be, though.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#49 : October 26, 2009, 01:22:30 PM

Because your stats had nothing to do with a game that Barkely missed.

Hey, you don't like USC, I get that, but you also seem to ignore anything else (like Sarkisian, Holt and Mays) about that game because that would weaken your own case..

It wasn't like Washington blew USC out, it was close enough that Barkely would've made a difference. That, anybody who follows football would know..

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#50 : October 26, 2009, 02:59:28 PM

Because your stats had nothing to do with a game that Barkely missed.

Actually, they do.  They prove that Barkley isn't that much of a game changer at this point in his young college career.  The battle between Corp and Barkley went right up to the beginning of the season, IIRC.  Corp's injury is the main reason Barkley was given the nod over him, correct?  Barkley was largely inconsistent in spring practice leading up to the season, which is expected of a true freshman.  The difference between Barkley and Corp was/is negligible, but there is no doubt Barkley will be the better QB in time - that's why Carrol went with him, along with Corp's injury.

Based on Barkley's play leading up to the Washington game, there is nothing to suggest he would have been the difference between a win and a loss.  I've been a fan of Barkley's since his recruiting process, you can check my posts.

Hey, you don't like USC

That's not true.  Ohio State is about the only football school out of Florida I don't like.  I have no problem with USC at all.

You can put the loss on not having a true freshman starting his third game in college if you like, but I don't buy it.  Barkley isn't at that level yet.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#51 : October 26, 2009, 04:23:08 PM

Based on Barkley's play leading up to the Washington game, there is nothing to suggest he would have been the difference between a win and a loss.  I've been a fan of Barkley's since his recruiting process, you can check my posts.

You can put the loss on not having a true freshman starting his third game in college if you like, but I don't buy it.  Barkley isn't at that level yet.

So the fact that he went into OSU the week before and performed well enough to help USC win doesn't register as a sign he could've done the same at a much less talented Washington team? Corp was healed before the season started and Carroll still saw fit to start Barkley, who is the superior QB both then and now.

And no, I'm not putting the loss on just him. You still choose to ignore the absence of Mays, who could've easily helped USC stop Washington's final drive, or the fact that Corp's QB coach last year/Trojan OC, Sarkisian, and USC's DC last year, Holt, were now on the other sideline? I've said before, it was a perfect storm for a Washington win, and yet they still needed a FG with 3 second left to pull it out. You can't see how Barkley would've made a difference?

What do you think would happen if Addazio and Strong were to leave for, oh say, Arkansas in the offseason and Florida had to go play them in Arkansas without Tebow and Spikes? You think Florida would be an automatic W?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#52 : October 26, 2009, 04:42:23 PM

So the fact that he went into OSU the week before and performed well enough to help USC win doesn't register as a sign he could've done the same at a much less talented Washington team?

Barkley lead a great drive to win the game @ OSU, but the rest of the game he was less than stellar.  Could he have done it again @ Wash?  Maybe, maybe not - but relying on a True Freshman is pretty bad.  USC is so much more talented than Wash, Corp should have been fine.

Corp was healed before the season started and Carroll still saw fit to start Barkley, who is the superior QB both then and now.

I know he was, but his missing time because of injury factored into the decision.  I think you overstating Barkley superiority to Corp a few months ago.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/08/26/decision-week-for-usc-will-it-be-aaron-corp-or-golden-boy-matt/

And no, I'm not putting the loss on just him. You still choose to ignore the absence of Mays, who could've easily helped USC stop Washington's final drive, or the fact that Corp's QB coach last year/Trojan OC, Sarkisian, and USC's DC last year, Holt, were now on the other sideline? I've said before, it was a perfect storm for a Washington win, and yet they still needed a FG with 3 second left to pull it out. You can't see how Barkley would've made a difference?

What do you think would happen if Addazio and Strong were to leave for, oh say, Arkansas in the offseason and Florida had to go play them in Arkansas without Tebow and Spikes? You think Florida would be an automatic W?

You must have missed OBF's point about Florida playing their former OC/QB coach Dan Mullen at Miss. State without Tebow and Spikes, when in fact they were without Spikes (and three other defensive starters BTW.)

I acknowledged that Mays' absence would be on par with Spikes' absence for their respective teams, but in no universe is Barkley comparable to Tebow to their respective teams.

There is no excuse for USC to lose to Washington (a team who will be lucky to go to a bowl game,) especially not an excuse like having a true freshman at QB.  USC is too talented of a team.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#53 : October 26, 2009, 05:05:19 PM

Boise State 7th... Oregon 10th. Boise dropping every week like I predicted. IF thats IF Oregon beats USC, Id say its 50/50 Oregon is ahead of Boise in a week and if they win out they will be ahead of Boise... thats a lock.

Thank god none of this is decided on the field where you lost to BSU. Why do you take any joy out of watching a team that skunked your team fall because of computers?

Tells me that if a team that bad can beat The Ducks then maybe the Ducks, and the whole Pac10, blows.

i wouldnt down play the pac-10 its clearly the 2nd best conference this year, and its not like the SEC has looked impressive this year.

Knock the ducks, but they are playing as well as anyone now.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#54 : October 26, 2009, 05:06:06 PM

Again so far the system hasnt screwed up. The top 3 teams are top 3.

If Texas and Iowa win out, Iowa will disagree and have a damn good case. Undefeated with a OOC win vs Arizona and road wins @PSU and @OSU.

yes but right now it hasnt screwed up.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#55 : October 26, 2009, 05:07:37 PM

HOw do you believe the top 3 are the top 3?  Because the media & coaches has picked them!  Why isn't Cincy rated in the top 5; they are undefeated in a big conference?  I'll agree with the rankings when I see a playoff.....otherwise it's just a matter of opinion.

waste your energy crying about a playoffs. You will be crying to your death. Deal with bowls and BCS or quit watching, its reality.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#56 : October 26, 2009, 05:08:44 PM

I don't know if you know this or not, but Florida played without 4 starters on defense this past weekend, including Brandon Spikes - who is their leader like Mays.

I think too much was made about Barkley missing that game.  He's a good player, but wasn't a difference maker yet, and hardly their best offensive weapon.  Here were his numbers in Game 1 and 2 of his true freshman year:

Game 1 vs. San Jose State:  15/19, 233 yards, 1 TD (Corp was 4/4, 45 yards, 1 TD in this same game)
Game 2 vs. Ohio State: 15/31, 195, 0 TD, and 1 Int

Let's not make his absence out to be equal to Tebow missing a game for Florida.

I mis wrote what I meant wasnt comparing Florida USC in that matter. I meant the comparison in Miss State ex coaches, and UW ex coaches. And than USC having there 2 best players out vs UW.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#57 : October 26, 2009, 05:16:09 PM

I mis wrote what I meant wasnt comparing Florida USC in that matter. I meant the comparison in Miss State ex coaches, and UW ex coaches. And than USC having there 2 best players out vs UW.

Barkley is USC's best player on offense?  Not right now.  McKnight, Williams, and even Bradford or McCoy are probably better than Barkley at this point in his career.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#58 : October 26, 2009, 05:17:59 PM

Barkley lead a great drive to win the game @ OSU, but the rest of the game he was less than stellar. Could he have done it again @ Wash? Maybe, maybe not - but relying on a True Freshman is pretty bad. USC is so much more talented than Wash, Corp should have been fine.

Corp "should have" been fine, great that you think so highly of him. But the fact of the matter is, he wasn't. Not even close. If he's QB'ing at OSU, the Trojans likely lose that game, too. Carroll isn't relying on a true freshman as much as he's relying on the better QB. Corp would be the starter right now if he was better. And Carroll's repeatedly said that Barkley isn't just your every day freshman. Even his senior teammates have commented on his maturity and leadership abilities being beyond his years.

I know he was, but his missing time because of injury factored into the decision. I think you overstating Barkley superiority to Corp a few months ago.

No, I'm not. I follow USC as close as you follow Florida or OBF follows Oregon. Don't bother with links, I have my own opinions based on what I see and hear locally from the coaches, not what somebody not associated with the program thinks on a website.

You must have missed OBF's point about Florida playing their former OC/QB coach Dan Mullen at Miss. State without Tebow and Spikes, when in fact they were without Spikes (and three other defensive starters BTW.)

I acknowledged that Mays' absence would be on par with Spikes' absence for their respective teams, but in no universe is Barkley comparable to Tebow to their respective teams.

There is no excuse for USC to lose to Washington (a team who will be lucky to go to a bowl game,) especially not an excuse like having a true freshman at QB. USC is too talented of a team.

I wasn't comparing Barkley to Tebow, I knew you'd go there, I was comparing a starting QB's being out. And yes, USC is a talented team, but do you really think Carroll recruits and starts all said talent but settles for less at QB? That makes no sense. He plays the best players, regardless, and if he says that Barkley is the superior QB, and starts him, than I'm inclined to agree with him..

I'm not making excuses for USC's loss, I just don't agree with your assessment that it's some kind of catastrophic defeat, when there were so many factors leaning in Washington's favor that day..

The fact is that USC has beaten 3 ranked teams on the road this year, and since they are ranked as high as they means the pollsters don't think that Wash loss was as bad as you think..

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#59 : October 26, 2009, 05:18:58 PM

Barkley is USC's best player on offense? Not right now. McKnight, Williams, and even Bradford or McCoy are probably better than Barkley at this point in his career.

No, but he's their best QB. He wouldn't be starting if he wasn't..

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Standings « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools