Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: reasons to be optimistic about next year's draft « previous next »
Page: 1

burger40

Hall of Famer

: October 20, 2009, 04:47:01 AM

a lot of people are saying we'll just blow our load on this upcoming draft but i think we had one of the most solid drafts in a while although the biggest determining factor of that draft's success (aka Freeman) is still a big question mark. We got Roy Miller-DT (3rd rd) who has worked hard and should become a solid starter as he is already getting into the rotation more and more, i want to see him play more cuz he has to be better than sims. Kyle Moore-DE (5th Rd) is probably the biggest gamble we took in this draft as he played on a great defense at USC but put up ho-hum numbers. the kid is extremely athletic and has excellent size to put more bulk on without adversely affecting his performance. Xavier Fulton-OT (5th rd) was the leader in pancake blocks for the Illini his senior year and he ran a 5.07 which was among the very best at his position and he only played the position for two years at college as he was formerly a DE. This means the guy could possibly have a lot more potential left to tap than a typical player who has 3 to 5 years playing his position. Unfortunately he got placed on IR and we won't get to see what we have till next year. E.J. Biggers-CB (7th Rd) is a big unknown since he got hurt before the season and placed on IR as well. And last but most definitely not least is Sammie Stroughter-WR (7th Rd) going into the 07 season he was thought to be a potential 1st round pick but lost two close relatives in a short period of time and fell into depression missing the 07 season but he got better and obtained a medical redshirt. He came back in 08 and posted a 1000+ season. He has already shown he's the second best receiver on our team and he's JUST A ROOKIE. Most WRs don't break out until their 3rd year. We got a guy with 1st round talent all the way in the 7th round. I'm excited about the talent we have and i hope we get to see more of Kyle Moore and Roy Miller as well as 2nd year man Dre Moore (DT) in teh future so we can gauge their talent level.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

bucs90

Second String
#1 : October 20, 2009, 04:54:48 AM

Don't forget we essentially drafted Kellen Winslow with a 2nd. (Technically we didn't, but you catch my drift).

I'm hoping we can at least collect a 3rd or a 4th at minimum before Tuesday's 4PM trading deadline. Should be exciting!

or

I haven't watched a game this year.

burger40

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 20, 2009, 04:57:42 AM

Don't forget we essentially drafted Kellen Winslow with a 2nd. (Technically we didn't, but you catch my drift).

I'm hoping we can at least collect a 3rd or a 4th at minimum before Tuesday's 4PM trading deadline. Should be exciting!

good point. and yeah more and more i like the idea of trading rudd to somebody who runs more of a zone system that doesn't require a run-stuffing MLB. Rudd just is not that. If we can get a 2nd plus some later picks or a 1st i'd jump all over it. And that should be doable considering Gaines got us a 2nd rounder. although DEs are a more sought after position high in the draft than MLB so it isn't a perfect comparison.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

bucs90

Second String
#3 : October 20, 2009, 05:13:28 AM

Just so no one messes with you about it, it's Ruud... not Rudd. Two u's. ;)

or

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 20, 2009, 06:43:54 AM

Just get rid of the stupid scheme(Bates). Keep Ruud and revert back to Tampa 2 next season. While doing that still being able to play man coverage as well.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 20, 2009, 06:55:48 AM

Is this a joke?

We got Roy Miller-DT (3rd rd) who has worked hard and should become a solid starter

^^Based on WHAT?^^   What have you seen from Roy Miller that supports your claim that he'll be a solid starter in this league? And NO. Being in the rotation is FAR from support.

Kyle Moore-DE (5th Rd) is probably the biggest gamble we took in this draft as he played on a great defense at USC but put up ho-hum numbers. the kid is extremely athletic and has excellent size to put more bulk on without adversely affecting his performance.

And this means exactly what to us? This proves he's going to be a player in the NFL for us? How?

Xavier Fulton-OT (5th rd) was the leader in pancake blocks for the Illini his senior year and he ran a 5.07 which was among the very best at his position and he only played the position for two years at college as he was formerly a DE. This means the guy could possibly have a lot more potential left to tap than a typical player who has 3 to 5 years playing his position. Unfortunately he got placed on IR and we won't get to see what we have till next year. E.J. Biggers-CB (7th Rd) is a big unknown since he got hurt before the season and placed on IR as well.

Bragging about a guy's college game doesn't help sell the guy to most reasonable NFL fans at all. And they're both on I.R. That definitely doesn't help your argument. They could be the best player on the planet, but if they end up hurt a lot it doesn't mean squat.

And last but most definitely not least is Sammie Stroughter-WR (7th Rd) He has already shown he's the second best receiver on our team and he's JUST A ROOKIE. Most WRs don't break out until their 3rd year. We got a guy with 1st round talent all the way in the 7th round.

I also like Stroughter. But to say he's 1st round talent is a stretch like I've never seen. Also, being the 2nd best WR on THIS team isn't hard. We could wheel a retard on the field and he'd probably compete.

Stroughter is the ONLY guy from the draft to be excited about. The rest of the guys have shown nothing to make you even raise an eyebrow. And please, save the overhype on Stroughter until he does more. A LOT more.

bucs90

Second String
#6 : October 20, 2009, 06:57:34 AM

Someone's cranky.

or

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#7 : October 20, 2009, 07:16:17 AM

I, too, am excited about some of the young talent we have, but I think we need to take a long, hard look at the position coaches and coordinators.  We need to find an offensive staff who can use the talent at RB and OL that we have to take pressure off of the QB.  We also need a defensive staff that understands how to rush the passer and stop the run, at least once in a while.  And we definitely need more talent along the DL to get this done.  We should be in a great position come April 2010 to draft some talent to fill these needs.  I say Suh in the 1st, best available DE and WR in the 2nd.  After those picks just some depth along the OL, S, LB positions.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 20, 2009, 07:16:41 AM

Or realistic. I'm not sucking on the Raheem teet of a "well thought out plan that we'll stay the course on".

The guy's clueless. The Bucs are a mess in every aspect. And the scouting department needs a complete overhaul. They're HORRIBLE!

bucs90

Second String
#9 : October 20, 2009, 07:31:17 AM

Or realistic. I'm not sucking on the Raheem teet of a "well thought out plan that we'll stay the course on".

The guy's clueless. The Bucs are a mess in every aspect. And the scouting department needs a complete overhaul. They're HORRIBLE!

Another thread made into a Raheem discussion. What's new?

Not all scouting departments have crystal balls, for the most part you simply get lucky. If we didn't select Gaines... there's a good chance someone close to us would have. Come draft day, I'd say Raheem probably has very minimal say in who is ultimately drafted.

or

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 20, 2009, 07:50:31 AM

The main reason to be optimistic for next years draft is that we may have actual football people running the team by then.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

jaybuc88

Pro Bowler
#11 : October 20, 2009, 08:15:15 AM

a lot of people are saying we'll just blow our load on this upcoming draft but i think we had one of the most solid drafts in a while although the biggest determining factor of that draft's success (aka Freeman) is still a big question mark. We got Roy Miller-DT (3rd rd) who has worked hard and should become a solid starter as he is already getting into the rotation more and more, i want to see him play more cuz he has to be better than sims. Kyle Moore-DE (5th Rd) is probably the biggest gamble we took in this draft as he played on a great defense at USC but put up ho-hum numbers. the kid is extremely athletic and has excellent size to put more bulk on without adversely affecting his performance. Xavier Fulton-OT (5th rd) was the leader in pancake blocks for the Illini his senior year and he ran a 5.07 which was among the very best at his position and he only played the position for two years at college as he was formerly a DE. This means the guy could possibly have a lot more potential left to tap than a typical player who has 3 to 5 years playing his position. Unfortunately he got placed on IR and we won't get to see what we have till next year. E.J. Biggers-CB (7th Rd) is a big unknown since he got hurt before the season and placed on IR as well. And last but most definitely not least is Sammie Stroughter-WR (7th Rd) going into the 07 season he was thought to be a potential 1st round pick but lost two close relatives in a short period of time and fell into depression missing the 07 season but he got better and obtained a medical redshirt. He came back in 08 and posted a 1000+ season. He has already shown he's the second best receiver on our team and he's JUST A ROOKIE. Most WRs don't break out until their 3rd year. We got a guy with 1st round talent all the way in the 7th round. I'm excited about the talent we have and i hope we get to see more of Kyle Moore and Roy Miller as well as 2nd year man Dre Moore (DT) in teh future so we can gauge their talent level.

With this front office and coaching staff in place I am not very optimistic about anything...what makes you think they can draft????

hoodsbucs

Pro Bowler
#12 : October 20, 2009, 08:55:41 AM

Krazy and Jay both have good points...
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: reasons to be optimistic about next year's draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools