Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Denver Broncos free agency spending « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 14

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 20, 2009, 02:58:59 PM

I do not believe that the glazers are holding this team back, never have.

Sure they are. By firing a winning HC in leiu of a garbage assistant, they've set the team back. Had they upgraded at HC, no one would be **CENSORED**in right now...

Do I believe that Raheem is the right coach for the job? Well I am not entirely sure. Still, with the Glazers track record for hiring coaches, I am willing to let this one play out.

#16 : October 20, 2009, 03:09:16 PM

Let what play out? We're 0-6 morons.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#17 : October 20, 2009, 03:40:28 PM

Free Agency is highly overrated. what significant FAs do the Steelers have? Or the Colts? Or the Giants? Ravens?

The big spending teams Washington, Oakland, Dallas have how many Playoff wins the last 5 years?

Dynasties are drafted, not bought.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#18 : October 20, 2009, 03:41:57 PM

Free Agency is highly overrated. what significant FAs do the Steelers have? Or the Colts? Or the Giants? Ravens?

The big spending teams Washington, Oakland, Dallas have how many Playoff wins the last 5 years?

I have no idea why this concept is so hard to grasp for folks around here.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#19 : October 20, 2009, 03:46:45 PM

I agree with that, but there is not a chance in hell this regime ever sniffs the playoffs, much less a .500 season. Morris/Dominik are a joke.

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#20 : October 20, 2009, 03:47:29 PM

I have no idea why this concept is so hard to grasp for folks around here.
Doesn't fit there agenda. I agree 100 %

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 20, 2009, 03:54:05 PM

FWIW Dallas has been among the best drafting teams the last 6-7 years. Their 2005 class may go down as the best of the decade. Their problem has been bad luck (greased ball in Seattle, a 1st round bye preventing a win against an inferior team) and bad big game coaching from Phillips.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

k_bassuka

Starter

#22 : October 20, 2009, 03:58:17 PM

You missing Gaffney (starter), Hamilton(starter), Hill (starter), Hochstein, Holliday, Jordan, Kern (starter), Prater (starter), Reid, Smith, Stockley and Woodyard.
I know you mention "starters" but decided to include Leftwich and Sims for some reason, regardless the starters is not the complete story is about the whole roster, because the guys I just mention contribute to the team success every week. They completely get how to put a team together unlike our GM.

FIRE MD NOW!!

escobar

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 20, 2009, 04:06:37 PM

Denver has managed to build a decent team with second tier FA's and some trades, true, what exactly does that have to do with the Bucs? Oh I get it, if we exclude the Glazers from the argument then everything can be pinned on Gruden, as usual. Ok, just wanted to clear that up.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 20, 2009, 04:31:50 PM

I'd agree that the draft is more important, but free agency can still play a pretty significant role in building a winning team.  Not only do you get the occassional real splash signing like Brees, but the older guys can often fill important roles plugging holes for teams.  Sharper has been HUGE for the Saints this year.  Guys like Seau and Thomas played important roles for the Pats.  I don't think this teams wins a Superbowl withou guys like KMac. 

Yes, the franchise cornerstones are usually (but not always) found via the draft, but let's not pretend like smart FA spending isn't pretty darned important too. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 20, 2009, 04:37:45 PM

You missing Gaffney (starter), Hamilton(starter), Hill (starter), Hochstein, Holliday, Jordan, Kern (starter), Prater (starter), Reid, Smith, Stockley and Woodyard.

Gaffney's the 3rd WR and Stokley is the 4th WR
Hamilton was drafted
FRG listed Hill
Hochstein, Holliday, Jordan, Reid, and Smith aren't starters
Kern and Woodyard are undrafted rookie FA's
Prater was signed off of the Dolphin's practice squad

They completely get how to put a team together unlike our GM.

You're right they do.  They drafted franchise LT, QB, WR, and DE.

s0uthFLbucfan

Starter

#26 : October 20, 2009, 04:50:08 PM

A couple weeks ago I broke down the amount of money the Bucs are spending on players drafted by other teams compared to what the other teams in the NFC South are spending. Lately it seems everyone's new favorite team is the Denver Broncos, so let's see how much free agent money they've been spending. Here are all official "starters".

Denver Broncos

QB Kyle Orton 1 year $1 million $1M/year
RB Correll Buckhalter 4 years $10 million $2.5M/year
C Casey Wiegmann 2 years $4.7 million $2.35M/year
TE Daniel Graham 5 years $30 million $6M/year
CB Champ Bailey 7 years $63 million $9M/year
DE Ryan McBean no contract info we'll assume $1M/year
NT Ronald Fields 2 years $5 million $2.5M/year
DE Kenny Peterson no contract info we'll assume $1M/year
LB Mario Haggan 3 years $4 million $1.3M/year
LB Andra Davis 2 years $3 million $1.5M/year
S Renaldo Hill 4 years $10 million $2.5M/year
S Brian Dawkins 5 years $17 million $3.4M/year
CB Andre Goodman 5 years $20 million $4M/year

Total: $38.05 million

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

FB B.J. Askew 5 years $7.6 million $1.5M/year
QB Byron Leftwich 2 years $7.5 million $3.75M/year
WR Antonio Bryant 1 year $9.8 million $9.8M/year
C Jeff Faine 6 years $37.5 million $6.25M/year
LT Donald Penn 1 year $2.8 million $2.8M/year
TE Kellen Winslow Jr. 6 years $36 million $6M/year
DE Jimmy Wilkerson 2 years $3 million $1.5M/year
DT Ryan Sims 4 years $8 million $2M/year
DT Chris Hovan 5 years $17.5 million $3.5M/year

Total: $37.1 million

Once again, it doesn't look like it is the Glazers that are holding the Bucs back.

wait we re-signed sims and hovan...:(

"We're going to be d--- good,"-
Kellen Winslow II. Novemeber 15, 2009

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 20, 2009, 04:52:49 PM

One word:

COACHING!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 20, 2009, 05:06:27 PM

They completely get how to put a team together unlike our GM.

You're right they do.  They drafted franchise LT, QB, WR, and DE.
Also worth noting since 2004 Denver has used one pick in the first four rounds on guards, and that was just this year. By contrast Tampa has used four such picks.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

big_JLB

Starter

#29 : October 20, 2009, 05:10:06 PM

thank you! thank you! thank you!

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Denver Broncos free agency spending « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools