Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: War against the South? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 11

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
: October 23, 2009, 01:05:15 PM

Again, it goes back to perception being reality.  I highly doubt that the majority of Americans know the history of said flag. 

Agreed. Perception that is born in ignorance too often becomes reality.

Now how many people are offended by this Buddhist Monk???

Clearly Buddhism is the Religion of Hate:

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
#1 : October 22, 2009, 10:55:49 PM

Is it me or does it seem lately that every where I look people are talking about racism and they speak ill of the south? It's always ''In the south this '' and '' In the south that''. I have lived here my whole life and yes there are some racists but damn they are very rare.

I was reading on the ESPN page and there is a new push to stop the Ole Miss fight song where it stats ''the south will rise again'' I mean WTF are we not allowed to have southern pride now? Isn't it better here than up north? Manners, God, beaches , Sunny weather, Football and baseball dominance?  It seems guys like Bill Mahar and CNN , MSNBC make it out to be like the KKK is rampant, or even existent.

Just venting guys. Bare with me. 

Booker

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 22, 2009, 10:58:52 PM

Ok couple things, God is only found in the south? Lol. Also baseball dominance? What? Football dominance? For a little in college but not even close in NFL

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
#3 : October 22, 2009, 11:02:02 PM

Ok couple things, God is only found in the south? Lol. Also baseball dominance? What? Football dominance? For a little in college but not even close in NFL

Church and religion are much more prominent in the south my man. At least its more openly spoke about.  Florida baseball and Football in High school and College are unmatched in terms of popularity and competition. Thats what I was speaking of. Not saying any of these are proprietary to the south. 

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 22, 2009, 11:06:34 PM

Is it me or does it seem lately that every where I look people are talking about racism and they speak ill of the south? It's always ''In the south this '' and '' In the south that''. I have lived here my whole life and yes there are some racists but damn they are very rare.

I was reading on the ESPN page and there is a new push to stop the Ole Miss fight song where it stats ''the south will rise again'' I mean what are we not allowed to have southern pride now? Isn't it better here than up north? Manners, God, beaches , Sunny weather, Football and baseball dominance?  It seems guys like Bill Mahar and CNN , MSNBC make it out to be like the KKK is rampant, or even existent.

Just venting guys. Bare with me. 

It's you ...

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 22, 2009, 11:13:23 PM

Anyone remember L-y-n-y-r-d S-k-y-n-y-r-d's classic response to Neil Young's "Southern Man"?

Que that song...

There is a reason someone drew an imaginary line through the south and called it the Bible Belt.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 23, 2009, 12:53:51 AM

I have lived down here all my life but I cannot stand that confederate flag garbage, and anyone that is flying it and says they're not a racist is probably.................LYING.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 23, 2009, 01:37:56 AM

I think the supreme court, disagrees with you.

If burning Old Glory is an example of freedom of speech - so is flying the flag that last stood for states rights.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

BucNative

Starter

#8 : October 23, 2009, 07:38:33 AM

I wouldn't say that anyone that flies the rebel flag is a racist, but I would say that they are insensitive and don't give a **CENSORED** about how it might make others feel.  I do agree however about the anti-south bias.  I won't say that its rampant, but its definitely something that I've heard often enough to know that people from the north have preconcieved ideas about the south, when most of them have never been here to experience the culture.  If they had they would know that those kinds of stereotypes are totally blown out of proportion.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 23, 2009, 08:06:21 AM

I do agree however about the anti-south bias.  I won't say that its rampant, but its definitely something that I've heard often enough to know that people from the north have preconcieved ideas about the south, when most of them have never been here to experience the culture.  If they had they would know that those kinds of stereotypes are totally blown out of proportion.

I agree, too, but it's not "everywhere" or something that's just popped up lately as the OP opined.... and the bias is sometimes warranted, sometimes not.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 23, 2009, 08:13:26 AM

so is flying the flag that last stood for states rights.

That flag stands for different things to different people. To you, it's states' rights ... to some it's slavery and racism .... to some it's heritage. To me, I see a near miss ... Have you ever thought about what would have happened if the South had won and we were two countries (at least) instead of one great one? There had to have been some published speculation over the last century as to what it would have looked like...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 23, 2009, 08:29:08 AM

I've lived in the deep south, southwest and northeast and the most violently racists people by far are Bostonians and the south Philly types. I mean even in deepest Louisiana in places that voted for David Duke I didn't see the type of pure hatred I saw up north.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 23, 2009, 08:38:40 AM

so is flying the flag that last stood for states rights.

That flag stands for different things to different people. To you, it's states' rights ... to some it's slavery and racism .... to some it's heritage. To me, I see a near miss ... Have you ever thought about what would have happened if the South had won and we were two countries (at least) instead of one great one? There had to have been some published speculation over the last century as to what it would have looked like...

http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/greatwar.html

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 23, 2009, 08:39:24 AM

I've lived in the deep south, southwest and northeast and the most violently racists people by far are Bostonians and the south Philly types. I mean even in deepest Louisiana in places that voted for David Duke I didn't see the type of pure hatred I saw up north.

Don't leave out Chicago - having similar life experiences Dal - I can tell you not only it the issue between the "races" more of an issue, the Northeast US is so far above the Southern Bumpkins in their own minds it is amazing.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
#14 : October 23, 2009, 09:25:29 AM

but it seems like the south gets the Racist label. Florida Texas and the southern states are more of a melting pot than the majority of the US.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: War against the South? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools