Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Postive & Negative Observations From Pats Game « previous next »
Page: 1

wolfet

Pro Bowler

: October 26, 2009, 12:44:46 AM

I see slivers randomly in almost every thread, so I thought I would post what positive and negative observations from watching the entire game.  Add your thoughts as well:

Positives:

Sammie S.- Continues to make plays on the offense.  Seems to really be able to get YAC.  Fights for every yard and energizes the team when he gets the ball in his hands. 

Tim Crowder- He was actually getting very good pressure today and was being held constantly.  I know PR did not give him much love, but he was in on many plays.

Kellen Winslow- Why is he here.  Well we are pathetic at getting him the ball, but he continues to keep his mouth shut.  I have to admit, if I was him I would be pissed. 

Roy Miller- I like this guys motor, he will get better, but he is a keeper.

Bucs Secondary- No huge plays, and I thought they held there own despite being overmatched.

Energy- I thought the team played hard the entire game.

Davin Joseph- I know this guy got flagged, but you have to admire the aggressiveness to go hit someone

Negatives:

M Clayton- Low energy, low effort on JJ's second INT

D Ward- Did anyone else notice that Ward does not seem to have very good vision.  There were several huge gaping cut-back opportunities that he missed.  Instead, he plowed into the back of the OL.

Coaches- Maybe it is just me, but about every other game I see all the coaches are coaching players.  Do you see a lot of that on the Bucs?  There did not seem to be any adjustments after half time either.  A young team needs to be coached first and foremost.  They need teachers.  They need coaches that hold them accountable and teach them the right way. 
Ruud- Not the thumper we need and overrated. 

QB Attitude- JJ  shaking his head demeanor after messing up, and Freeman's smile after he got sacked.  We need some guys to get angry.

OC- Playcalling was OK, but we have no identity and when we do establish something that works we rarely seem to go back to it.  Winslow, AB?

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 26, 2009, 01:00:31 AM

I thought Jimmy Wilkerson played with great hustle and intensity. He was everywhere and reacted very quickly to the play.

burger40

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 26, 2009, 01:07:53 AM

Miller played well, SS again our best WR, I like Wilkerson again, he isn't the future but he is showing he belongs on teh DL rotation.
Crowder deserves much love for making Sebastian hold him.
TJack shows why our secondary needs him with another big pick.
Not really upset about JJs reaction pretty much same as most QBs when they are struggling.
Ward didn't have any glaring mistakes and got yards after contact so i'm ok with his performance.
Caddy needs more touches in the passing game.
K2 is either helped by the fact he is used to losing with the Browns or even more frustrated not sure which.

My main coaching issue was freaking not going for it on 4th and 5 at Pats 35. Morris must have lost his balls after we went 1 of 3 on 4th against Philly.

Our running game avg was actually pretty good in the first few drives not sure why it got worse as the game went on and the defense expected more pass. I guess they did blitz a lot and we picked up teh blitzes pretty decently they just sent a lot of guys and JJ missed some wide open WRs

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 26, 2009, 01:11:17 AM

I'm convinced SS will be an awesome #2 WR. I don't see him being the #1 guy, but if the Bucs ever get a real, and consistent #1, one that actually scares a defense, SS could be one of the best #2's in the league. (Not the best, one of)

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

HughC

Pro Bowler

#4 : October 26, 2009, 05:17:49 PM

Good news is that the defense had two interceptions, plus forced the Patriots to punt six times.  In addition the Pats had only 3.8 yards per rush.

Bad news is that games are determined by points, not stats, and the Bucs gave up 35.  The long plays are killing the Bucs this year; three more pass plays of 30+ yards, two of which ended up being touchdowns.  Poor techique in that failed tackle attempt by Ruud on Aiken's touchdown, as well as a bad angle by the DB behind him.  No deep help on the entire side of the field on the touchdown pass to Watson.  And though the run defense overall was good, they gave up four runs of over ten yards.

More problematic was the coaching.  It would have been nice if the coaching staff had come up with a better game plan, but I'm willing to let that slide; a lot of teams have been unable to stop Brady to Welker and Moss, and the Pats simply have more talented players than the Bucs do.  Still, I would have liked to have seen more different defensive fronts, more stunts, etc.  On top of that I didn't see any in-game adjustments.  It was as if it was 'this is our game plan and we're sticking with it regardless of the score'.

Speaking of the score, does Raheem realize that there are more than two play calls (punt, field goal) available when it is 4th down?  It's as if it's always too early to go for it, or too risky for him.  You were 0-6 up against an elite team; what have you got to lose?  I certainly understand the first four punts from deep in their own territory in the first half, but how about on 4th and one from the 50 in the middle of the 2nd quarter?  Or the two punts in the third quarter from the New England 37 and 35 yard line???  Then when the Bucs finally did go for it on 4th down, there was no point; they were down 28 with 1:10 left to play - why bother?

burger40

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 26, 2009, 05:45:45 PM

Good news is that the defense had two interceptions, plus forced the Patriots to punt six times.  In addition the Pats had only 3.8 yards per rush.

Bad news is that games are determined by points, not stats, and the Bucs gave up 35.  The long plays are killing the Bucs this year; three more pass plays of 30+ yards, two of which ended up being touchdowns.  Poor techique in that failed tackle attempt by Ruud on Aiken's touchdown, as well as a bad angle by the DB behind him.  No deep help on the entire side of the field on the touchdown pass to Watson.  And though the run defense overall was good, they gave up four runs of over ten yards.

More problematic was the coaching.  It would have been nice if the coaching staff had come up with a better game plan, but I'm willing to let that slide; a lot of teams have been unable to stop Brady to Welker and Moss, and the Pats simply have more talented players than the Bucs do.  Still, I would have liked to have seen more different defensive fronts, more stunts, etc.  On top of that I didn't see any in-game adjustments.  It was as if it was 'this is our game plan and we're sticking with it regardless of the score'.

Speaking of the score, does Raheem realize that there are more than two play calls (punt, field goal) available when it is 4th down?  It's as if it's always too early to go for it, or too risky for him.  You were 0-6 up against an elite team; what have you got to lose?  I certainly understand the first four punts from deep in their own territory in the first half, but how about on 4th and one from the 50 in the middle of the 2nd quarter?  Or the two punts in the third quarter from the New England 37 and 35 yard line???  Then when the Bucs finally did go for it on 4th down, there was no point; they were down 28 with 1:10 left to play - why bother?

we went for it on 4th down three times against philly converting once but after that Morris seems to be much more conservative...bad idea with a winless tea who is behing.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

HughC

Pro Bowler

#6 : October 26, 2009, 05:59:47 PM

we went for it on 4th down three times against philly converting once but after that Morris seems to be much more conservative...bad idea with a winless tea who is behing.
I know he was trying to put them deep in their own territory and hope for a turnover, maybe a pick 6 ... but the Bucs were down 21 at that point, and had only two more possessions after those back-to-back punts. If it was a 14-point difference or less I could see punting. But needing three scores late in the 3rd - it was almost as if the Bucs were more concerned with keeping the final score respectable than with trying to win.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 26, 2009, 06:03:08 PM

Michael Bennett, and unknown, was able to pressure Brady with limited snaps.

burger40

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 26, 2009, 06:08:28 PM

Michael Bennett, and unknown, was able to pressure Brady with limited snaps.
yep crowder got held once that was called and a couple that weren't. i think he's the other unkown yo uare thinking of. And Wilkerson and Miller played the run pretty well.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Postive & Negative Observations From Pats Game « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools