Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 6'5" and 239 and 4.35 in the 40 (amended) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

wc24

Second String

#30 : February 25, 2007, 02:21:58 PM

From some of the buzz at the combine, it looks like Brady Quinn is making a good impression on the scouts/coaches.  It would not be out of the realm of possibility to see BA draft Quinn.  If you remember the end of year PCs both Allen and JG pointed the QB play as a weakness and that it needed to be corrected.  And JG said he wanted to get a QB that could dominate.  I'm not saying that BQ is that player, I'm saying that I've heard JG sound very impressed with BQ everytime I've heard him discussed and with him having 2 years of pro type coaching with Weiss they may view him as being ahead of the learning curve for rookie QBs.

There's no reason that Quinn wouldn't impress at the combine or in his pro workout day.  He's got good size and strength. He can move a bit and he's very accurate. He struggled in games in which he was harrassed from the first snap because of ND's line. I know he's got his detractors on the board but I think he'll make a pretty good pro QB.

PewterReportHM

Starter
#31 : February 25, 2007, 02:36:30 PM

CJ's buzz will skyrocket.  The threat is somebody moves up and trades with the Raiders to get him.  Then CJ and JT will be gone.

The Bucs would then go defense.

wc24

Second String

#32 : February 25, 2007, 02:41:12 PM

CJ's buzz will skyrocket.  The threat is somebody moves up and trades with the Raiders to get him.  Then CJ and JT will be gone.

The Bucs would then go defense.

I really don't know where the possibilities are for that trade. I don't think there's a team out there with enough quality picks to make the move to #1 overall unless Davis is willing to take multiple future picks. I think a team jumping in front of the Bucs is fairly far fetched at this point.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 25, 2007, 11:32:38 PM

I amended the headline on this one to include his 4.35 time. What an athlete!

bklynbucs11

Starter

#34 : February 25, 2007, 11:36:18 PM

Joe Thomas is a freak at his position too. After him though, CJ is the choice.

JT isn't a freak. He's tall but doesn't have hte longest Arms. FErguson - he was a freak. So was John Ogden. Thomas is very good but he's not a freak.

CJ - he's a freak. There has never - NEVER, been a wide receiver coming out of college who is as physically gifted as Calvin Johnson.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#35 : February 26, 2007, 01:53:04 AM

I still have yet to hear a coherent argument as to how Calvin Johnson will stop batted balls at the line, open holes in the running game, pressure the passer, or do any number of other things that Bucs desperately need to be competitive in football games beyond touching the ball 10 times a game.

Last year the team sputtered badly on offense due to inability to run consistently, and got pushed around on defense. Add Calvin Johnson and the team will stlll sputter on offense due to inability run consistently and get pushed around defensively. Exactly what does he add to the team, anyway?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#36 : February 26, 2007, 02:23:50 AM

I am not going to weep if Gaines is still available. In fact, I would rather have Gaines than CJ. It is a matter of utmost importance....pass rushing that is.

Charley Casserly and Dom Capers agree.

The TExans had a chance to take Bush, a very talented playmaker type.  They opted to build the D-line up instead, and in all reality, it was not such a bad move.  It only looked worse when their number 1, DD, went down with an injury...it magnified the issue.  The jury is still out on Mario...if he goes haywire next year, it will look like a genius move by Casserly (who IMO, is an idiot)...but we shall see...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 26, 2007, 08:49:33 AM

CJ - he's a freak. There has never - NEVER, been a wide receiver coming out of college who is as physically gifted as Calvin Johnson.

This is the Calvin problem, he has to be "the best of all time" in order to justify taking  a WR at that spot. That should be a terrible feeling when you are drafting that high. Calvin's rationale is that he's gonna be better than Torry Holt to be a good pick. Thomas' logic is that if he's almost as good as Walter jones he's a good pick.

This reminds me of last year. Davin is a genius pick IF he turns into Hutch. McNeil would have been a  good pick if he'd turned into Matt Light.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 26, 2007, 09:07:04 AM

That is true Dalbuc. 

But CJ is not just the best player and athlete at his own position.  He is arguably the best player and athlete in all of the draft. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 26, 2007, 09:42:50 AM

Did Galloway have problems getting open last year or did he have problems with someone not getting him the ball when he was open?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#40 : February 26, 2007, 09:53:57 AM

Did Galloway have problems getting open last year or did he have problems with someone not getting him the ball when he was open?

The latter, obviously. It really hurt, how many big plays were missed to him.

Lilmar1205

Practice Squad

#41 : February 26, 2007, 10:50:28 AM

I concur. CJ is a beast of a player.

It doesnt matter if you have a great receiver if you dont have anyone to throw a decent pass.  Take Arron Brooks and Randy Moss on the Raiders.

buckit

Hall of Famer

#42 : February 26, 2007, 12:23:23 PM

I gotta retract a statement I made about the kid.  I though no way in hell he ran a sub 4.4 40.  Sure enough.  Even when he ran the 40, he didn't look that fast.  Must be the long strides.  One worry though:  on film, CJ has clearly struggled to get seperation at times.  With that kind of speed, my question is why?  Is it a flaw in his technique?  If so, can it be overcome?  Let's face it, the Bucs don't exactly have the best WR coach in the business...

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#43 : February 26, 2007, 12:30:33 PM

Let's face it, the Bucs don't exactly have the best WR coach in the business...

What is Richard Mann's fatal flaw as a coach?

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#44 : February 26, 2007, 01:02:30 PM

I gotta retract a statement I made about the kid. I though no way in hell he ran a sub 4.4 40. Sure enough. Even when he ran the 40, he didn't look that fast. Must be the long strides. One worry though: on film, CJ has clearly struggled to get seperation at times. With that kind of speed, my question is why? Is it a flaw in his technique? If so, can it be overcome? Let's face it, the Bucs don't exactly have the best WR coach in the business...

Where is this film that shows he can't get separation?  People talk about it but I've never seen it.  I know he catches a lot of long balls in a crowd but that's after he has to turn around and track bad to a terrible ball.  Ball is not capable of hitting him in stride.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 6'5" and 239 and 4.35 in the 40 (amended) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools