Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the discredit of Brady Quinn ??? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

: February 24, 2007, 05:41:55 PM

Just curious but why do people criticize Quinn for padding his stats when Russell played against the likes of Tennessee, Florida, Arkansas and Notre Dame where he threw 8 TD's and threw 7 Picks ???

Quinn threw 13 TD's and threw 5 INT's against the likes of Penn State, Michigan, UCLA, USC and LSU.

Russell threw 3 picks in the UF game and 3 in the UT game, the 2 most critical games of the season for the Tigers.

I don't know understand why people think that Quinn is irrelevant and that Russell is so much better. Russell has a bigger arm, great! Quinn is faster, much smarter and has been coached up by one of the best QB guys on the planet.

You can say he pads stats all day long but when you look at the stats from 2006, there they are. Give me Quinn any day of the week.

Russell shows up looking like a half sucked milk dud, has questionable character, operated only from shotgun and no he is not vince young part II, not even close. Quinn is a better prospect hands down in my book. You can hate ND or whatever you want but what has Russell really done to garner the top picke besides be 6'5" and have a big arm?

Baghead #2

gharen

Pro Bowler

#1 : February 24, 2007, 05:49:25 PM

Russell had the better Sugar Bowl, but most fans are incapable of looking past the stats or the last game for that matter to really judge talent. There all too caught up in fantasy football numbers to understand Russell had much better talent around him and a far superior defense. As far as Quinn not winning any big games, go back and see how many big games Manning won at UT.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 24, 2007, 05:52:01 PM

Difference is Russel put up his numbers against the toughest and most dominant conference in college football.  Notre Dame plays cupcakes other than a few ranked teams...which they lost 3/4 btw.  Also look at the bowl game where Russel's Tigers curb-stomped Quinn's Irish.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 24, 2007, 05:56:39 PM

Difference is Russel put up his numbers against the toughest and most dominant conference in college football. Notre Dame plays cupcakes other than a few ranked teams...which they lost 3/4 btw. Also look at the bowl game where Russel's Tigers curb-stomped Quinn's Irish.

But PSU drug Tennessee, UCLA shutdown USC, USC is USC. In those 3 games against USC, PSU and UCLA Quinn threw 8 TD's comapred to 0 picks.

Baghead #2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 24, 2007, 05:59:01 PM

Difference is Russel put up his numbers against the toughest and most dominant conference in college football. Notre Dame plays cupcakes other than a few ranked teams...which they lost 3/4 btw. Also look at the bowl game where Russel's Tigers curb-stomped Quinn's Irish.
]
You call throwing 5 TD's compared to 6 picks against Auburn, UF, Tennessee and Arkansas putting up #'s ???

Baghead #2

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 24, 2007, 06:01:45 PM

But PSU drug Tennessee, UCLA shutdown USC, USC is USC. In those 3 games against USC, PSU and UCLA Quinn threw 8 TD's comapred to 0 picks.

I'm not sure I get your point...

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 24, 2007, 06:04:28 PM

]
You call throwing 5 TD's compared to 6 picks against Auburn, UF, Tennessee and Arkansas putting up #'s ???

No, but I call throwing 28 TDs compared to 8 picks and 3129 yds while in the SEC putting up numbers.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 24, 2007, 06:09:55 PM

No, but I call throwing 28 TDs compared to 8 picks and 3129 yds while in the SEC putting up numbers.

Well it appears to me that Russell really has a tough time against top comp. That is the whole point. Quinn while playing against top comp this season fared much better than Russell.

You bring up a good point on Russell. He did only throw 8 picks, 6 were against Tennessee and Florida. In those games he also threw 4 TD's. So basically Russell threw 24 TD's and 2 picks against the likes of Louisiana Lafayette, Arizona, Tulane, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Fresno State, Alabama, Ole Miss, and Arkansas.

That is what I call padding stats...

Baghead #2

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 24, 2007, 06:14:29 PM

man ... Quinn looked like a stud on the weigh in.  My wife was drooling all over the place ... she looked just like me after seeing Rachael Watson.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 24, 2007, 06:19:07 PM

Yeah I'm not saying Quinn's a bad QB.  I'm just trying to answer the question why he's being discredited as opposed to Russell.

BTW, if you want to look at "top comp," Quinn was 0-3, 8 TD, and 5 INTs with a completion percentage no larger than 50% against top 15 teams.  He did tear up Penn State who was 19 at the time, but by the end of the year wasn't even ranked if I remember.

I bet he will do pretty well in the NFL, though.  If he does drop to the Viks, they will have a steal IMO.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 24, 2007, 06:31:55 PM

A lot of the problem is that people decide on who they want.

That player = good, all other players = bad.

Thing is most of these guys are good prospects, we know they are. What sorts and shuffles guys isn't their talent or lack of (at least among the top 5 picks) but rather the value for a team. People don't get that. I like Adams, I like Thomas, i like Russel, I like Quinn and I like Calvin. I hink there is a disctinct order in terms of value among those guys but they're all good players.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

gone

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 24, 2007, 08:57:33 PM

Jeez Louise.  If JT and CJ are gone we have options.  But the "Gruden needing to win this year" aside, if it isn't Adams or Okoye, Quinn isn't a disastrous pick.   He doesn't look ideal, but he may well be.  We have the #4 PICK.  You pick an impact position.  QB, UT, LT, DE are our list of needs, IN ORDER.  The respective talent level of the guys available changes that, but he's still one of our 4 needs.  Don't be stunned if it happens.

#12 : February 24, 2007, 09:18:42 PM

I'd say it was UT, LT, QB & DE.

#13 : February 24, 2007, 09:22:50 PM

I haven't been a Quinn cheerleader, mainly because I hate the Irish and I got sick of the hype all season. 

However his physical and mental condition at the combine really impressed me. He turned up in amazing shape, only CJ looked better.  His determination doing the bench press was great to see, and in the interviews he came across very humble.

Brady Quinn will be a top 10 QB in the NFL for a decade IMO.

zellmiller

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 24, 2007, 10:04:37 PM

They both suck

Huge ego, not a gruden guy,  doesn't use MIKE.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the discredit of Brady Quinn ??? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools