Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: report: glazers might have to sell man-u... « previous next »
Page: 1

bucman23

Starter

: November 03, 2009, 11:11:22 AM

man the hits just keep coming

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/03/report-debt-could-force-glazers-to-sell-soccer-club/

Posted by Mike Florio on November 3, 2009 9:52 AM ET
[Editor's note:  Due to the fact that the folks in England denote the date with the day before the month, we didn't immediately realize that the "11/4/09" designation was actually April 11, not November 4.  And while we realized that it's not November 4 just yet, newspaper web sites have at times applied the date on which a story will appear in print to the online version of if.  So, basically, this is news is several months old.  We apologize for not realizing this at the time.  The substance of the story is accurate.]

Last week, the Glazers were forced to deal with rumors of financial problems that could force a sale of the NFL team they own.

The Glazers strongly denied the rumors, and WDAE radio in Tampa retracted the report that mentioned them -- and suspended host Dan Sileo for uttering them on the air.

This week, the Glazers are faced with a report from a British tabloid regarding financial problems that could force a sale of the soccer club they own.

Per the report, Manchester United faces a debt of roughly $1.79 billion, based on current pounds-to-dollars conversion rates.  The report suggests that the Glazers might ultimately be forced to sell controlling interest in the team.

But the report buries the fact that the first chunk -- roughly $122 million -- isn't due until 2013.  The biggest obligation, approximately $978 million, arises in 2017. 

So the situation is hardly dire for the Glazers.  (Especially if the Mayans were right.)

The Glazers have not yet commented on the report.

Many league observers have speculated that the Glazers have been spending less money on the Buccaneers due to the financial obligations resulting from ownership of the Manchester United club.  The Glazers have consistently denied that they are cutting costs relating to their NFL franchise.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#1 : November 03, 2009, 11:15:37 AM

Hilarious about PFT not realizing this was about 7 months old.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 03, 2009, 11:27:28 AM

So how exactly is a 7-month-old report a hit "that keeps on coming"?

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 03, 2009, 11:28:14 AM

Did you actually read the piece?

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

05 TypeS DC5

Second String

#4 : November 03, 2009, 11:31:03 AM

lmao....  who checks the research? no one..

why would you write an article about someone being broke then say, but debt isn't due for a while plus the situation is hardly dire for the glazers..

this article is crap...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 03, 2009, 11:35:57 AM

As the kids say these days that was fail.

bucman23

Starter

#6 : November 03, 2009, 11:46:46 AM

lol yes i read the piece. i meant that reports keep surfacing about the debt and how supposedly broke the glazers are.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 03, 2009, 11:48:38 AM

If they go after everyone that claims they are broke, their lawyers will be on a wild goose chase.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 03, 2009, 12:23:26 PM

lol yes i read the piece. i meant that reports keep surfacing about the debt and how supposedly broke the glazers are.

What is difficult to understand that this report is 7 months old, was already discussed on this site, I believe and is not anything new?

white dragon

Practice Squad

#9 : November 03, 2009, 01:34:28 PM

so you read it but just failed to understand it?

#10 : November 03, 2009, 02:24:28 PM

they should FIRE whoever wrote this about Man U, just like those cowards at WDAE.       Whether its true or not, you shouldn't mention anything negative about the Glazer family.  How dare you.    You might cost your media company a lot of money.   Dont you know the Glazers have you over a barrel financially, and you better play ball or the money will disappear.   Well, I think its time the Glazers felt what its like as well.   What will they do when fans stop buying their over priced tickets for the crap product they put on the field?

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 03, 2009, 09:18:56 PM

What will they do when fans stop buying their over priced tickets for the crap product they put on the field?

Pewter Report will have one poster's post count take a precipitous drop?

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: report: glazers might have to sell man-u... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools