Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I found this stat interesting... regarding special teams rule change. « previous next »
Page: 1

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

: November 12, 2009, 12:28:40 AM

Of course, everyone probably remembers this offseason the NFL changed the rule regarding KO's so you cannot use a wedge. A lot of teams used this and it was supposed to affect the return game pretty badly...

Not the case at all....

Half way through the season this year there are already 10 KO returns for TD's.... All of last year there was 13.

Just thought that was interesting.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 12, 2009, 02:03:20 AM

Strange... maybe we should have never used the wedge in the first place... coulda had a KO return 30 years sooner..

john.matincheck

Starter

#2 : November 12, 2009, 10:07:58 AM

They also limited how many players the kicking team can line up on either side of the ball which makes it a little harder to pin returns to one sideline or the other. The rules changes were expected to be a wash.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 12, 2009, 03:13:50 PM

Seems like when the wedge was used the blockers were in the way of the returner as much they created a seam. I think the sooner the speedster can get in the open, the better and w/o a wedge that seems to happen sooner.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 12, 2009, 06:44:43 PM

In the end most KR's are less about the blocking and about breakdowns on the coverage units so the same mistakes made last year happen this year and the same seams open up.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I found this stat interesting... regarding special teams rule change. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools