Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting matchup this upcoming Sunday « previous next »
Page: 1

AcuraT

Starter

: November 12, 2009, 10:23:43 AM

One matchup few may not realize that is occuring - it is the first time Auburn teammates Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown go against each other in an NFL regular season game.  When the Bucs played Miami on October 16, 2005, Cadillac was out for repairs since he was injured (as he has been a lot of the time - that time was for a hamstring and foot injury).  Although Ronnie Brown did better than Cadillac that day since Williams was not playing, the Bucs won handily in the last meeting 27-13.  Better is a relative term since Brown only got 22 yards with 9 carries.

In fact, Miami is one of the few NFL teams that the Bucs are .500 or better historicaly.  The Bucs are currently 4-4 vs the Dolphins, and have won the last three games straight, under Gruden and Dungy.

Another interesting thing the two teams share: they both rank last and second to last in big plays given up on defense.  Who is last?  Believe it or not, it is Mismi!  They are giving up 14.2 yards per pass play and their top pass rusher, Joey Porter, who has hamstring problems will either not play or will not play at full speed (last year, had 17.5 sacks, this year, has 2.5 after 8 games).

As long as the defense does not give up big plays, and Josh Freeman does not make too many mistatkes (and his receivers decide to catch the ball on Sunday which is always a questionable proposition), the Bucs have a decent chance to win this game.  With Miami's deficient defense this year (compared to the monster it was last year), this probably presents the Bucs best chance to win in the second half of the season since the game is so close to Tampa.  I don't consider Seattle as likely since that is on the west coast, and we all know the team's track record out west.

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 12, 2009, 10:37:53 AM

Thanks for posting that info. Kinda puts this week's game in a new perspective. I never doubted that we'd put up a good number of points vs the Fins... but now (in light of this info), I feel like we could put up a butt-load of points and may even win. Either way, this is gonna be another action-packed game. Can't hardly wait till Sunday.

vladin

Starter

#2 : November 12, 2009, 10:39:28 AM

Our best defense against their running game is if we get up on them early.

AcuraT

Starter

#3 : November 12, 2009, 10:42:05 AM

Wow, thanks for posting all of that info. Kinda puts this week's game in a new perspective. I never doubted that we'd put up a good number of points vs the Fins... but now (in light of this info), I feel like we could put up a butt-load of points and may even win. Either way, this is gonna be another action-packed game. Can't hardly wait till Sunday.

Yes, it should be interesting to watch.  I will be out of the country on assignment starting Saturday so I am missing this game - I am hoping my TIVO catches it so I can see it later.  If the rookie QBs on both sides play nice with their wide recievers, this will be a very untraditional shoot out most likely since both defenses are not up to snuff this year.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 12, 2009, 07:42:12 PM

Tryin to decide if i wanna make the trek down.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting matchup this upcoming Sunday « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools