Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We need defense and another playmaker for JF but what about an OL? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

burger40

Hall of Famer

: November 13, 2009, 01:59:09 AM

We can't seem to run the ball at all against anybody. I want to draft all defense and one WR maybe a reserve OL but if we can't run at all the rest of this year we may have to draft another OL somewhat early because we need to have something of a running game to help JF and also be able to set up the deep ball on PA which is a big time strength of JF.

Thoughts??? I'm not advocating 1st rd but we may need to grab someone in the 2nd which sucks bc all season i've been hoping for the first 4 picks to be DT, DE, WR, CB in that order.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 13, 2009, 02:05:21 AM

Thank you. I was thinking about a possible scenario in the draft. could we take Okung with our first pick. I know we all want defense; but Penn can leave after this season and thus far he has been a quality Tackle for us. I'm going to monitor this situation in the offseason. Wish we would have resigned him already. Both Bryant and penn are FA and whoever we sign the other will leave. I'd prefer penn because quality tackles are harder to find than receivers especially with the value of receivers coming out depending on the underclassmen. If Penn leaves tackle should be considered with one of our premium picks.

DT
DE
CB
OT?

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 13, 2009, 02:09:03 AM

This team needs a defense no doubt. At the same time, we are in desperate need of a playmaker. Drafting ANY position in the first couple of rounds can be justified.

I think it should go something like this:

DT
WR
DE
CB
RB

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 13, 2009, 02:09:32 AM

If the bears continue to tank, we could be sitting pretty in the second round.

burger40

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 13, 2009, 04:57:35 AM

In another thread i laid out their schedule which has two games against Minny remaining as well as some other doozies. I predict them to finish 7-9 at the best potentially as bad as 5-11, my money is on 6-10.

And I wouldn't take OL very first pick since the top 3 BPA IMO are defensive players. Only if we dropped out of the top 5 should we consider grabbing a guy like Okung, Bulaga (i'm from Iowa so i'm biased but many experts are now saying he's the best OT in the nation and his best fit is supposed to be as a mauler in the run game which we need bc Penn is a great pass protector but hardly a mauler and True gets lots of penalties and needs to prove himself more), or Dez Bryant.

If we get a DT first round that would be awesome either Suh or McCoy. Next round we could have our pick of several great DEs since there will be so many in this draft at least from the potential aspect. Dunlap is finally starting to produce and Derrick Morgan is shooting up the boards as well to name a few. Then we need WR, CB, OT.

Ideally Sears returns in the off-season and we sign another RT and re-sign Penn but who knows. I'd like people to watch our line closely in the run game and see who stands out and who sucks the big fatty.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 13, 2009, 06:30:05 AM

Okung doesn't resolve our run blocking problems. Serigo Render and Rondey Hutson should though if we give up on Zuttah.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 13, 2009, 10:10:32 AM

DT
DE/DL (again)
OL
CB
RB

Then, get a WR, kicker, and QB in FA. Byron, Clayton, and whatever kicker we have by then will most likely be kicked.

Imo, OL should be on the minds of every team, every year. It's just that important of a position. Right now, when we lose a guy, I can't really be too comfortable about our OL. I'm also not exactly thrilled with DE play either, even though it seems to have gotten better w/o Gaines here. Ironic, isn't it? Our DL needs the most help of all. It is exactly why they are picking DL in first round of most mock drafts. I fully expect them to obtain a D lineman with the first round pick, no doubt about it. The great thing is, it's a wonderful year for DL-draft and we "should" be right up there for top picks. Next seasons team should be MUCH better equiped.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#7 : November 13, 2009, 10:23:25 AM

Okung doesn't resolve our run blocking problems. Serigo Render and Rondey Hutson should though if we give up on Zuttah.

I like Mike Iupati. A lot of good Guards this year.

Also like Anthony Davis from Rutgers a lot. He does solve a lot of run blocking problems, and has quick feet in pass protection.

Defensive line is obviously priority #1, and DT's will have to come throught the draft. If they can get DE's in free agency though, I'd love to see them draft a couple offensive lineman in a very deep class this year.

burger40

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 13, 2009, 07:26:31 PM

I like Mike Iupati. A lot of good Guards this year.

Also like Anthony Davis from Rutgers a lot. He does solve a lot of run blocking problems, and has quick feet in pass protection.

Defensive line is obviously priority #1, and DT's will have to come throught the draft. If they can get DE's in free agency though, I'd love to see them draft a couple offensive lineman in a very deep class this year.

if we do draft a G it should be easy to get one in the 3rd round since Guards arent' premium picks.

JC510

Practice Squad

#9 : November 13, 2009, 07:36:09 PM

The running game isn't looking good because we aren't running in the 4th qtr. 19 carries by Cadillac, Ward and Graham all year.

burger40

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 13, 2009, 07:38:33 PM

The running game isn't looking good because we aren't running in the 4th qtr. 19 carries by Cadillac, Ward and Graham all year.
true but even in games like with the Pack we couldn't run that well even when we did try to run. We have incredibly inconsistent running games. Against NE 1st QTR we came out throwing smoke and running well over 5 ypc but then after that we nose dived. Same thing against Carolina.

Our running game needs to be more consistent

JC510

Practice Squad

#11 : November 13, 2009, 07:57:59 PM

true but even in games like with the Pack we couldn't run that well even when we did try to run. We have incredibly inconsistent running games. Against NE 1st QTR we came out throwing smoke and running well over 5 ypc but then after that we nose dived. Same thing against Carolina.

Our running game needs to be more consistent

I just don't think the sample sizes have been big enough to really judge. Cadillac is averaging 4.6 ypc when Faine plays. Against Carolina he averaged 8 ypc in the 2nd half. Problem is he only got 4 carries. After his 10th carry he's averaging 16.4 ypc.

Bash

Practice Squad

#12 : November 13, 2009, 11:35:36 PM

Sometimes I think it would be quicker to mention the positions that are set for the near future.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 14, 2009, 07:43:22 PM

he might not be a great fit for a ZBS, Reggie Stephens of Iowa State is a good mid round prospect.  He handled Suh pretty well.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 14, 2009, 08:20:19 PM

I think a G or C in the 3rd or later would be a good idea. Faine has back issues and is the oldest guy on the line and Zuttah is a good depth guy but don't think he is starting material.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We need defense and another playmaker for JF but what about an OL? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools