Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: REFEREE TONY CORRENTE EXPLAINS CONTROVERSIAL CALL ON CLAYTON CATCH « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

jimbobuc

Second String

: November 16, 2009, 08:12:48 AM

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/nov/15/disputed-interception-costly-bucs/#poll_682

Take a good look at that picture, then try to justify the ref's decision.

Bucs Bowl

Starter

#1 : November 16, 2009, 08:42:32 AM

Hey Tony in the great words of Les Grossman  --- A NUTLESS MONKEY COULD DO YOUR JOB!!!!!!!!!!

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 16, 2009, 08:43:10 AM

Plays like this make the argument for professional refs, not part timer's who are Insurance agents and High School teachers. The NFL has the cash to hire them and they should. The integrity of the game is at stake here. [banghead]

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 16, 2009, 08:20:30 AM

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/nov/15/disputed-interception-costly-bucs/#poll_682

Take a good look at that picture, then try to justify the ref's decision.

That's an ender, done, with control and being contacted. End of story.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 15, 2009, 05:22:47 PM

NFL referee Tony Corrente was asked about the controversial interception call that occurred on a Josh Freeman-to-Michael Clayton catch that resulted in an interception at the Tampa Bay 15-yard line instead of a first down:

(On why the play which was ultimately ruled an interception by Jason Taylor was initially ruled an incomplete pass) – “One of the officials on the field felt the ball had touched the ground after it left the possession of the receiver.”

(On why was the play not ruled a completion upon review) – “Because the player in question, the player who was possessing the ball in the air, as he started to come down, was hit. As he is coming down, he is now going to the ground to complete a catch and by rule, if he’s going to the ground to complete a catch, he has to maintain possession of the ball completely through the entire process of hitting the ground and thereafter showing control. As he went to the ground, basically right when he went to the ground, the ball popped out, and went right into the arms of the Miami player. The ball had never touched the ground.”

(On if the play was ever whistled dead) – “The play was never whistled dead, not until the player [Taylor] got into the end zone.”

(On why Taylor was unable to advance the ball) – “Because by rule, in the replay rules we can give the ball to the team, but we can’t allow the advance thereafter.”

(On if they are unable to allow an advance even if the ball is not whistled dead) – “Unfortunately, that’s just the replay rule because it was ruled as an incomplete pass.”

(On when the play was ruled an incomplete pass) – “It wasn’t ruled incomplete until there was a discussion in the end zone well after the touchdown was ‘scored.’ And so at that point, the officials got together and one said ‘I felt the ball hit the ground,’ and of course any doubt, it’s incomplete.”

Creamsicle

Second String

#5 : November 15, 2009, 05:25:42 PM

THere is no way anyone saw the ball come out as clayton hit the floor. NO WAY. it was at least a second after that anyone saw the ball period.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 15, 2009, 05:27:25 PM

Someone needs to lose a job... that's all I'm saying.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 15, 2009, 05:27:50 PM

Total crap. It's supposed to be that you can't advance the ball if the whistle had blown. No whistle had blown so the TD should have counted...so they got it wrong there. And he says almost right away the ball popped out. I don't count hitting the ground, rolling over, and then the elbow of the other player hitting the ball and knocking it lose...that's not right away. They got that wrong too. If Clayton had gone down and right has he hit the ground, if the ball had squirted out...then I am fine with the call. But in that situation...they blew it.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 15, 2009, 05:28:10 PM

His back was CLEARLY on the ground with possession of the ball, these guys were complete morons. He was stumbling on all those answers.

kouki s14

Starter

#9 : November 15, 2009, 05:28:51 PM

This guy is pulling one from his a@@ because nobody could tell from the replay that the ball did not hit the ground arent replays suppose to be irrefutable visual evidence for him to overturn the call that was called an incomplete pass.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#10 : November 15, 2009, 05:30:03 PM

LMAO: "right when he hit the ground the ball popped out"

I guess he needs to look again, the ball came out after he rolled over 2 times lol.

Such a BS call and a BS explanation, action needs to be taken against this guy.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 15, 2009, 05:30:08 PM

Goodell must severely punish this crew and Mr. Corrente.  The league and the game has no credibility if he doesn't.  

Bash

Practice Squad

#12 : November 15, 2009, 05:31:34 PM

If the ruling is correct, then the league must seriously look at the rules about what is and isn't a catch.

donny77

Starter
#13 : November 15, 2009, 05:33:27 PM

When Clayton is lying flat on his back with a defender on top of him and the ball CLEARLY in possession, he has come to the ground IMHO.  I am tired of this rule.  It seems to cost the Bucs at least one game a season.  How is lying flat on your back with a defender on top of you NOT down by contact?  Because they are rolling him over?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 15, 2009, 05:34:51 PM

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: REFEREE TONY CORRENTE EXPLAINS CONTROVERSIAL CALL ON CLAYTON CATCH « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools