Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DL Workout Results « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#90 : February 28, 2007, 12:02:17 PM

My bad, I somehow missed the "PI" - Anyway, it's been mentioned a few times, but it's not something that Monte's going to hold a press conference about. You either believe SR/JF or you don't I guess.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#91 : February 28, 2007, 12:09:25 PM

Though he seems to be a perfect fit as a run-stuffing nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme, he could play nose tackle or under tackle in a 4-3 set as well as defensive end.

"He could be either [an under tackle or a nose tackle]," Marinelli said. "That's why he reminds me of Shaun Rogers so much. He's just a big, athletic man; a special player."

What's truly special is Branch's athleticism. This is a player who stands 6-foot-6 and weighs 330 pounds but often plays as if he's 40 or 50 pounds lighter.

More than just a big run stopper who can clog the middle of the line, he has the power to tie up two blockers, and the speed and quickness necessary to get to and take down the quarterback.

That's why Branch is expected to be drafted in the top 10, possibly even by the Bucs at No. 4, and no one describes his skills better than Branch himself.

"I'm a great run stopper," he said flatly. "I have great explosiveness and I attack the point of attack, so I do pretty well stopping the run and I'm a pretty good athlete.

"I feel I'm able to do pretty good on the pass rush or flushing the quarterback outside to the defensive ends. And I'm comfortable playing anywhere on the defensive line. I mean, I played nose tackle my freshman year, defensive end my sophomore year and [under tackle] my junior year. When I learn defenses, I try to learn all three positions.

"That way, in case you get caught out of place and you've got to switch positions, you know what you're doing. So right now, I feel like I'm at home anywhere on the defensive line
[/i]

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#92 : February 28, 2007, 12:50:57 PM

My bad, I somehow missed the "PI" - Anyway, it's been mentioned a few times, but it's not something that Monte's going to hold a press conference about. You either believe SR/JF or you don't I guess.

Bigger along the DL could mean a lot of things. It does not mean that they are looking for heavier DEs and it could certainly point to the interior of our DL. I know one thing is for sure, Kiffen isn't looking to lose his pass rush as the whole defense is predicated on rushing the QB. Getting bigger at the ends implies that the team wants to stop the run and rush the passer less because that's what's going to happen when you have two "Spires" as you DEs.

Again, I'll point to who SR and JF said were our FA targets at DE and all of them were the lighter type of DE. Now the targets at DT pointed at heavier players. That's why I said what i said. "Heavier along the DL" does not necessarily mean heavier at DE.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#93 : February 28, 2007, 01:19:43 PM

Bigger along the DL could mean a lot of things. It does not mean that they are looking for heavier DEs and it could certainly point to the interior of our DL. I know one thing is for sure, Kiffen isn't looking to lose his pass rush as the whole defense is predicated on rushing the QB. Getting bigger at the ends implies that the team wants to stop the run and rush the passer less because that's what's going to happen when you have two "Spires" as you DEs.

Again, I'll point to who SR and JF said were our FA targets at DE and all of them were the lighter type of DE. Now the targets at DT pointed at heavier players. That's why I said what i said. "Heavier along the DL" does not necessarily mean heavier at DE.

I totally agree with you - I'm just pointing out where the notion came from. As I note above, you just aren't going to find "bigger" RDE's that can be the pass rusher that we need.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#94 : February 28, 2007, 02:24:14 PM

I totally agree with you - I'm just pointing out where the notion came from. As I note above, you just aren't going to find "bigger" RDE's that can be the pass rusher that we need.

We're on the same page then. What I should have said at the outset was, "Tell me, when has Kiffen come out and said that they were changing their scheme and going with bigger defensive ENDS?" That would have made my point more clear.
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DL Workout Results « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools