Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Controversial call in Bucs-Fins latest example of now-common rule « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: November 15, 2009, 06:42:19 PM

Controversial call in Bucs-Fins latest example of now-common rule

Posted by Mike Florio on November 15, 2009 6:16 PM ET

Source: PFT

We'll been flooded with e-mails regarding a controversial call from the first half of the game between the Buccaneers and the Dolphins in Miami.

With 1:43 remaining before the half and Tampa Bay facing second and 12 on its own four, quarterback Josh Freeman threw a pass to receiver Michael Clayton, who while making the catch was knocked down.  The ball popped out just after his torso struck the ground, and Dolphins linebacker Jason Taylor then was running it into the end zone.

The call on the field was an incomplete pass.  The booth called for a replay review.

And referee Tony Corrente decided that the the pass was indeed incomplete as to Clayton -- and that Jason Taylor had caught the ball before it hit the ground.

The play relies upon the same rule that has applied several times this season.  When a player making a catch is going to the ground, he must maintain the possession through the act of landing.

In this case, if the call on the field had been that the pass was completed, there might not have been sufficient visual evidence to overturn it.  Here, the officials decided correctly that there was insufficient visual evidence to overturn the decision that Clayton didn't catch it.  The question was whether Taylor caught the ball after it popped up from Clayton's chest.

The video in that regard was clear -- Taylor made the catch, and Corrente awarded possession to the Dolphins.

So the officials got it right, via replay review. 

Actually, if they'd gotten it completely right the call on the field would have been that Taylor had scored a touchdown.

Kjun85

Pro Bowler

#1 : November 15, 2009, 06:45:26 PM

Mike Florio is an Idiot and does not deserve to write for anyone because he is trash.

Thomas

Starter

#2 : November 15, 2009, 06:49:01 PM

how in the world can that be the rule...???///***%%%###!!!! - people have the freaking worst opinions...

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 15, 2009, 06:55:16 PM

He maintained possession through the catch...he obviously did not take much of a look at the play.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 15, 2009, 06:57:54 PM

LOL, the ball came out 2 seconds after Clayton was down. Watch the play

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 15, 2009, 07:02:20 PM

Here is the play.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/09000d5d81434202/WK-10-Can-t-Miss-Play-Controversial-Review

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 15, 2009, 07:08:02 PM

"The ball popped out just after his torso struck the ground,"

Wrong, Florio. It popped out well after his torso struck the ground. It wasn't until he rolled over after hitting the ground that the ball came out.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 15, 2009, 07:15:55 PM

Here is the play.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/09000d5d81434202/WK-10-Can-t-Miss-Play-Controversial-Review

This is the first time I was able to see it and that is just unbelieveable.  What does a guy have to do to be considered in possession of the ball.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 15, 2009, 07:20:28 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 15, 2009, 07:33:09 PM

This is the first time I was able to see it and that is just unbelieveable.  What does a guy have to do to be considered in possession of the ball.

I guess the refs want him to hold onto the ball, take it home, seal it lucite and take out insurance on it.

That has to be a catch. The rule Florio badly references is about this sort of scenario: WR catches the ball, taps his feet down and then hits the ground and the ball pops out. That isn't a catch but if a player catches the ball, falls down due to contact and while he's on the ground the ball pops out that is the classic defination of down by contact.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#10 : November 15, 2009, 09:05:49 PM

I agree with Gruden on MNF -- the NFL is ridiculous with it's rule permutations and variants.

Even on an issue as simple as "what is a catch?" is over complicated. You have possession of the football with two feet down or a knee down, that's a catch. If a defender touches you, that's the end of the play. If the ball pops out before that, it's a fumble.

This "going to the ground" special set of rules is moronic.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 15, 2009, 09:14:53 PM

Piss poor call.  Period.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 15, 2009, 09:19:47 PM

Watch the freakin play before passing your assinine opinion, asswipe, I mean Floria

tbucsfan56

Second String

#13 : November 15, 2009, 09:30:09 PM

I have never heard  Mike Florio in his segments on the NFL Network ever dispute or say one of his boys got a call wrong. I don't care how many angles that you look at it Clayton for once caught that ball and should have been down by contact. They fine more ways to justify thier bad mistakes. Granted defence should have come through and held Miami but that seven points they got from that call decides the game as well.  [banghead]
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Controversial call in Bucs-Fins latest example of now-common rule « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools