Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Has there ever been another Head Coach who says "I'm still learning"? « previous next »
Page: 1

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

: November 16, 2009, 08:45:31 AM

Only a fool believes that they know everything already.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 16, 2009, 08:37:07 AM

I have not seen many coaches that have been a DB coach not have a lick to DC experience get a direct route to be a HC

Exactly.

#2 : November 16, 2009, 08:28:15 AM

I have not seen many coaches that have been a DB coach not have a lick to DC experience get a direct route to be a HC

He probably is still learning the ropes so I expect him to make mistakes. Just as long as it doesnt coast us the game.

Raheems penalty made it "easier" for the dolphins to score but it didnt cause the bad call by the refs

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 16, 2009, 08:19:13 AM

I can't remember one.   Raheem actually says stupid crap like that in his pressers.   "I learned from that".   What the hell?   Of course, everyone learns something new every day, but if you have to learn the basics like Raheem is doing, you have no business being a head coach yet.   

The head coach is supposed to be the model for the rest of the team - the guy they can turn to for answers, not a guy who is still learning the answers himself.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 16, 2009, 09:17:32 AM

I don't think there's been a coach with the guts enough to tell the truth, no matter what some jagoff i on a messageboard thinks.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#5 : November 16, 2009, 09:18:32 AM

Honestly Java....either post cheerleader pics or get the hell out of here.....I'm so tired of your act....

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 16, 2009, 09:20:55 AM

I can't remember one. Raheem actually says stupid crap like that in his pressers. "I learned from that". What the hell? Of course, everyone learns something new every day, but if you have to learn the basics like Raheem is doing, you have no business being a head coach yet.

The head coach is supposed to be the model for the rest of the team - the guy they can turn to for answers, not a guy who is still learning the answers himself.

Non issue, I'm glad to have a HC who is as honest as possible.

conrad77

Pro Bowler

#7 : November 16, 2009, 09:27:22 AM

Yeah, I've stuck up for you a lot this year but you're beating a dead horse at this point.  Yes he has been terrible.  Yes, he is in way over his head.  But he is making some progress at least and to be honest, I think we have discussed all his poor qualities enough that we don't need anymore threads like this unless there is a monumental screw up.  You were right, he has not been a good coach, no try and let it go man.   At this point, I am more concerned with our OC & DC.  They have proven to be failures so at least let the HC get some OJT out of this season.

[Add witty one liner here]

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 16, 2009, 09:32:17 AM

Sure they have. Jon Gruden, (from an interview AFTER he'd already won a world championship with the Bucs) for example:

Q: Later, Davis said you were "pretty green" when he made you the leagues youngest head coach. "Jon Gruden learned a lot here", he said.
A: I'm still green. And I am respectful of Al Davis. I owe him a great deal, and I'm still learning. The minute I stop learning, this league's wild bulls will trample all over me.

Plenty of coaches have said they're still learning. When they stop learning, then they need to get out of this game because they (incorrectly) believe there is nothing left to learn.

Orangegone1

Starter

#9 : November 16, 2009, 09:40:26 AM

Sure they have. Jon Gruden, (from an interview AFTER he'd already won a world championship with the Bucs) for example:

Q: Later, Davis said you were "pretty green" when he made you the leagues youngest head coach. "Jon Gruden learned a lot here", he said.
A: I'm still green. And I am respectful of Al Davis. I owe him a great deal, and I'm still learning. The minute I stop learning, this league's wild bulls will trample all over me.

Plenty of coaches have said they're still learning. When they stop learning, then they need to get out of this game because they (incorrectly) believe there is nothing left to learn.

Good find on that quote. I am a big Gruden fan. But I don't think he is the coach you want for a rebuilding team. He doesn't have patience for that. Morris needs to be judged by the way his team fights for him. You can't judge him by W & L because there isn't enough talent here. The team is improving and they play hard for him. I want to see what he can do when he gets more talent and his QB has a little more experience.

TbayBucs

Pro Bowler

#10 : November 16, 2009, 09:44:13 AM

Good find on that quote. I am a big Gruden fan. But I don't think he is the coach you want for a rebuilding team. He doesn't have patience for that. Morris needs to be judged by the way his team fights for him. You can't judge him by W & L because there isn't enough talent here. The team is improving and they play hard for him. I want to see what he can do when he gets more talent and his QB has a little more experience.

I definately dont want Rah and Dom rebuilding this team either. They are both a bunch of idiots.

techstar25

Starter

#11 : November 16, 2009, 09:48:34 AM

Every football coach needs to learn from a loss.

Would you have preferred if he had said . . .
"No. I didn't learn anything. In fact, next week we'll come back and do the same exact things, and hope the outcome is different. We have no plan to make any adjustments whatsoever."

Is that what you want him to say?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my blog "Reheemisms", a compilation of his best quotes.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 16, 2009, 10:16:52 AM

Like I mentioned in the initial post, everyone learns something every day.   But Raheem is still learning the basics.   I didn't have room to put all that in the thread title.   Gruden was light years ahead of Raheem in football knowledge when he took over the Raiders.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 16, 2009, 10:18:19 AM

I definately dont want Rah and Dom rebuilding this team either. They are both a bunch of idiots.

Well at least explain why you believe that to be case briefly.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 16, 2009, 10:21:54 AM

Is that right? Funny, the players they brought in seem to be playing pretty well.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Has there ever been another Head Coach who says "I'm still learning"? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools