Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A Sleeper WR « previous next »
Page: 1 2

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

: February 26, 2007, 05:04:47 PM

-Matt Trannon WR Michigan State
I think Matt Trannon is relatively under the radar in this drive because of MSU's abysmal performance last season. If you dont know who he is since I presume the majority of you didnt get to watch many MSU games he was the WR in the big Notre Dame game that threw on of the TD passes. Trannon is the tallest WR in the draft at 6' 6" and combine that with a 36 1/2" vertical leap and 34 inch arms, Trannon can get higher then all the other WRs in the draft with the exclusion of Calvin Johnson (now thats a whole different story) and maybe Dwayne Jarrett both of which are going to be 1st rounders or maybe mid-second round for Jarrett depending on his 40 time. Trannon ran a 4.57 in the 40 which is respectable for a guy who will probably be a possession reciever. Also I didnt see him drop a single ball in all the route drills including some awful ones thrown by Zabransky. Since he is a realtive unknown I think he would be availiable on day two...so what would you guys think of taking him in the middle to later rounds assuming Calvin Johnson doesnt fall to us?

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 26, 2007, 05:08:05 PM

I'm still of the opinion that Calvin Johnson is the only reciever we need to bother with in this draft.  We have too many other needs elsewhere to draft a WR except for CJ simply because he's good enough to bypass any other needs.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 26, 2007, 08:09:34 PM

I disagree. I dont see how WR cant be seen as a need on this team considering our offense was putrid and our arguably two best WRs are 31+ years of age.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 26, 2007, 08:13:57 PM

If the Bucs get a receiver other than CJ (who I don't want), it better not be another big, slow west coast guy.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 26, 2007, 09:36:49 PM

we dont need a WR in RD1 we all know what we need and that is a pass rush, pick some clown WR from FA or in RD5

#5 : February 26, 2007, 09:40:42 PM

I think Anthony Gonzalez will surprise a few poeple and actually develop into a pretty good NFL WR. 

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 26, 2007, 09:44:14 PM

I was expecting this to be a thread about the comeback of Larry Brackins.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#7 : February 27, 2007, 08:38:29 PM

I think Anthony Gonzalez will surprise a few poeple and actually develop into a pretty good NFL WR.

I disagree on AG.  I think he disapeared way too often and fed off of Ginn drawing too much attention.

AG may be a good #3 option in the NFL but for how high he is projected to go I would shy away from that.

wc24

Second String

#8 : February 27, 2007, 09:12:23 PM

I disagree on AG.  I think he disapeared way too often and fed off of Ginn drawing too much attention.

AG may be a good #3 option in the NFL but for how high he is projected to go I would shy away from that.

I've seen this theory put forth on Gonzalez and I think it's a misguided opinion. The only game Gonzalez disappeared in was the bowl game in which the entire team, including the guy charged with throwing the ball, disappeared.

By the same logic Calvin Johnson was shutdown vs. Clemson. Maybe he disappears vs. good defenses. I don't think that's the case but let's be consistent.

Gonzalez has a real good chance to be a very good receiver in the NFL. He runs good routes, is quick out of breaks, has good speed and will go get the ball. If the Bucs didn't get CJ in the first round and depending on who they did draft at #4 I wouldn't be disappointed with Gonzalez as a second rounder.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 27, 2007, 09:13:23 PM

I disagree on AG. I think he disapeared way too often and fed off of Ginn drawing too much attention.

I've seen this theory put forth on Gonzalez and I think it's a misguided opinion. The only game Gonzalez disappeared in was the bowl game in which the entire team, including the guy charged with throwing the ball, disappeared.

By the same logic Calvin Johnson was shutdown vs. Clemson. Maybe he disappears vs. good defenses. I don't think that's the case but let's be consistent.

Gonzalez has a real good chance to be a very good receiver in the NFL. He runs good routes, is quick out of breaks, has good speed and will go get the ball. If the Bucs didn't get CJ in the first round and depending on who they did draft at #4 I wouldn't be disappointed with Gonzalez as a second rounder.

I would be dissapointed with him as a second rounder.  But third, I can deal with that.

Good post.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 27, 2007, 09:18:36 PM

Did you hear Larry Brackins just stroke it rich? He is already promised 30 million a year for Tampa next year.
Our WR core next year is going to be
1. Larry Barckins 6'4 runs a 4.20 flat
2. Michael Clayton 6'4 runs a 10.10 flat
3. Joey Galloway 6'0 runs a 4.12 flat
4. Maurice Stovall 6'5 runs a 9.21 flat
those are some weopons huh?

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

wc24

Second String

#11 : February 27, 2007, 09:18:55 PM

I disagree on AG. I think he disapeared way too often and fed off of Ginn drawing too much attention.

I would be dissapointed with him as a second rounder.  But third, I can deal with that.

Good post.

I hear ya and again the Bucs have a lot of needs so maybe receiver in the 2nd is too high. I don't think Gonzalez will last into the third round and I can see him at the top of the second round. I like him as a pro more than Ginn.

#12 : February 27, 2007, 09:23:52 PM

Did you hear Larry Brackins just stroke it rich? He is already promised 30 million a year for Tampa next year.
I oughta kick your ass forst saying something sarcastically about Brackins....HE IS YOUR GOD! ;)

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#13 : February 27, 2007, 09:29:45 PM

Youare incorrect sir.  He disappeared in numerous games this year, typically when he faced any team with a decent defense. 

I did this breakdown in another thread:

He had TWO 100+ yard games this year.  142 against Texas, who boasted the Nations 99th ranked pass defense out of 119 teams.  That sure gets me drooling.  His other was 118 against Michigan State, and their powerhouse 97th ranked Pass defense.

His other "big" games were 77 yards against Iowa and their 77th rated D, 69 yards vs. Indiana and their 93rd, and perhaps his best of 85 yards vs. Cincinnati and their 58th rated D.

He had 6 games with 34 or less yards.  8 games 53 or less. And this was with the Heisman trophy QB throwing to him all year?  I don't believe Ginn was getting EVERY ball, so why did this guy not produce more?  Sorry if I want my #2 WR to show up a bit more than 2-3 games.

Look at his games against better pass defenses.  Florida, 2 catches 11 yards.  Illinois (31st D) 2 catches, 18 yards.  Notice those 2 games 1 they lost and the other barely won 17-10.  Shouldn't those be the games he needs to show up?  Penn State, 2 for 16 yards. 

Looks to me like he showed up in a lot less than the bowl game. 

And comparing him to CJ?  LOL on 2 fronts.  #1, AG is nowhere near the player CJ is, nowhere.  #2, CJ had a pee wee QB throwing to him, and AG had the Heisman winner. 

Come on man, at least if you are going to make a statement liek that have some facts to back it up.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 27, 2007, 09:39:31 PM

I oughta kick your ass forst saying something sarcastically about Brackins....HE IS YOUR GOD! ;)
LMAO

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A Sleeper WR « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools