Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL informs Bucs they agree with Taylor INT call « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#15 : November 16, 2009, 07:05:24 PM

I will never understand the logic of the call as long as I live...

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 16, 2009, 07:10:54 PM

We got screwed on that play and they can't admit their mistake. COWARDS!!!

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#17 : November 16, 2009, 07:14:34 PM

We got screwed on that play and they can't admit their mistake. COWARDS!!!

politics my friend.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 16, 2009, 07:15:48 PM

Roger Goodell = Vince McMahon

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 16, 2009, 07:21:07 PM

end of story.

#20 : November 16, 2009, 07:22:51 PM

the refs and the NFL VP can BITE ME!   I know what I saw with my own eyes.  Clayton caught the ball and was on his back, with the ball while two defenders were touching him.    There's nothing left to discuss.   This is insulting as them telling people the sky is red, when obviously it is blue. 

armydx316

Starter

#21 : November 16, 2009, 07:36:25 PM

Not admitting to the mistake and disciplining the official is a complete joke. Goodell needs to get his a$$ in front of a TV, watch the replay, and do the right thing.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 16, 2009, 07:38:02 PM

The play and replay was called right.. you guys are reaching..Too funny

Dude, you can't be that retarded. The picture in the SPTimes pretty much puts and end to it. MC80 has the ball, controlled and is down with the Dolphin touching him. No matter how you slice it that can not happen and the ball still come out like they, and I guess you, want it to.

Dude, you can't be that retarded. The picture in the SPTimes pretty much puts and end to it. MC80 has the ball, controlled and is down with the Dolphin touching him. No matter how you slice it that can not happen and the ball still come out like they, and I guess you, want it to.

Snapshots don't show MOTION.
MC80 doesn't have FULL CONTROL of the ball when he comes to a complete stop.

I knew once they showed the replay what the outcome was going to be-- Miami ball!
Just ask Roddy White, Edell Sheppard, Louis Murphy.
Last year in Chicago, we got LUCKY the refs didn't call Jerremy Stevens game-tying TD catch a "drop", too.

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#23 : November 16, 2009, 07:39:07 PM

The Bucs get crapped on as usual. Oh well. Time to move on I suppose.

jeanclaudtransam

Starter

#24 : November 16, 2009, 07:59:46 PM

They are going to stick by the call, saying it was called as the rules state, and they may be correct. The problem is partially with the crew but it is 90% with the rule itself. How long should a player hold on the ball for? Until a ref arbitrarily determines that he's got control? 1 second? 2 seconds? As SR said in the round table, when exactly does a play end? Considering that the ball was knocked out of Clayton's hand by the defender's elbow well after he's rolling around, what would be a catch in any other scenario, apparently they decide what constitutes possession on their own.

Hell, I even agree with the spirit of the rule. Unfortunately for Louis Murphy earlier in the year, they called it right. But it's a completely different issue in the endzone. For a touchdown, clear and definite possession is all that matters for a touchdown catch, going to the ground or not. But coming out of your endzone in the two minute drill, players can't be held accountable for some arbitrary standard of possession. Who cares if they're going to the ground? They're always going to the ground! A tackle by definition is taking a player to the ground! That means that EVERY contested catch falls under this rule. It's a play that happens literally every game!

Bottom line, we got screwed by a rule that must be removed or at the VERY least properly redefined. Unfortunately, I think that until this sort of perversion of the rule occurs to a high profile team in a high profile game, we won't see it changed. Sad, but true.

donny77

Starter
#25 : November 16, 2009, 08:08:09 PM

Snapshots don't show MOTION.
MC80 doesn't have FULL CONTROL of the ball when he comes to a complete stop.

But that is not the rule. The rule says nothing about motion. It says "after going to the ground." This is what makes it disputable and they need to clean up the language of the rule. If they want it to be based on motion, it needs to state that. If it is x seconds after going to the ground, state that. Clayton had possession after hitting the ground and the defender rolled him over and stripped the ball. According to the rule, that is a catch. Truthfully it's close and if they had come out and said there was insufficient evidence that Clayton controlled the ball after hitting the ground, I'd feel better about it. That they say it is an easy call no catch, I have a problem with.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#26 : November 16, 2009, 08:12:24 PM

It was bullcrap. He was down!! I can't remember being this pissed off over a call.

He was down without possession.

"Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 of the NFL Rule Book (page 51) states that 'if a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact with an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."'

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#27 : November 16, 2009, 08:13:42 PM

Dude, you can't be that retarded.

Luke is right. We may not like the rule but Clayton did not maintain possession according to the way the rule is written.

Anyone recall the Louis Murphy play earlier this season. Same deal.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#28 : November 16, 2009, 08:15:49 PM

They are going to stick by the call, saying it was called as the rules state, and they may be correct. The problem is partially with the crew but it is 90% with the rule itself. How long should a player hold on the ball for? Until a ref arbitrarily determines that he's got control? 1 second? 2 seconds? As SR said in the round table, when exactly does a play end? Considering that the ball was knocked out of Clayton's hand by the defender's elbow well after he's rolling around, what would be a catch in any other scenario, apparently they decide what constitutes possession on their own.

Hell, I even agree with the spirit of the rule. Unfortunately for Louis Murphy earlier in the year, they called it right. But it's a completely different issue in the endzone. For a touchdown, clear and definite possession is all that matters for a touchdown catch, going to the ground or not. But coming out of your endzone in the two minute drill, players can't be held accountable for some arbitrary standard of possession. Who cares if they're going to the ground? They're always going to the ground! A tackle by definition is taking a player to the ground! That means that EVERY contested catch falls under this rule. It's a play that happens literally every game!

Bottom line, we got screwed by a rule that must be removed or at the VERY least properly redefined. Unfortunately, I think that until this sort of perversion of the rule occurs to a high profile team in a high profile game, we won't see it changed. Sad, but true.

This poster has the closest thing to the truth. The rule does allow for some subjectiveness but the league has been consistent in that if you are in the process of catching the ball and the ball comes out after you hit the ground you aren't going to be considered to have possession.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#29 : November 16, 2009, 08:18:17 PM

It was bullcrap. He was down!! I can't remember being this pissed off over a call.

He was down without possession.

So you're saying it's an INT?
The ball isn't dead until it hits the ground.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL informs Bucs they agree with Taylor INT call « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools