Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What Makes A WR A Bust? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Mellow

Starter

#15 : February 27, 2007, 08:59:32 AM

This is a great question, and it deserves better than to be sidetracked with an argument about Clayton's hands.  :)

I think it's the ability to run crisp routes.  Guys can get away with sloppy routes in college because they are usually so much faster and athletic  than the dbs.  Their superior athletic ability can also disguise a lack of burst, or ability to create separation (which is different than flat-out speed).  I think this is why Clayton and Mike Williams have struggled against pro defenses.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : February 27, 2007, 09:06:52 AM

What are the factors? Mike Williams was a lack of work ethic. Clayton (work ethic?) and his hands didnt connect... What are your tohughts on how a WR becoems a bust?

1. Most college WR's aren't good route runners. A lot of guys live and die by being fast. In college guys sit 12 yards off them and they can do what they want. NFL's DB's don't do that so you have to be able to shake free.

2. Long speed, not short speed. Guys like Troy Williamson are fast but they are only fast in the last 10 yards of the 40 yard dash. They don't explode off the line and so they can't get on top of NFL dbs to make cuts or chew up cushion. This is why I always talk about the 10 and 20 yard splits.

3. Hands. catching in college is easy. When you are (Ted Ginn for example) guys are way off you and you don't have to have the best hands because you've got a ton of space to make a catch. in the NFL you have to secure the ball quick most of the time and a lot of guys don't do that.

Too many people draft WR's based on the stop watch not the skills WR's have becuase you get the "you can't coach speed" but the problem is it is hard to coach fundamentals at this level. It is why I think Gonzalez will be a better pro than Ginn will be. It is why Reggie Wayne (who has a similar scouting report) is a better pro than Koren Robinson who was the "freak" type player - and Koren was poor before he got drunk.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#17 : February 27, 2007, 09:30:14 AM

Clayton (work ethic?) and his hands didnt connect...

This is what scares me about CJ a little.  No one was more down-to-earth and humble than Clayton out of college.  He had one of the best WR rookie campaigns ever, and then he hit a wall.  So no matter how good someone's character is and how hard they work, you just never know how suddenly becoming multi-millionaires will effect them.

I don't understand why that scares you about CJ.  That scares me about everyone.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 27, 2007, 06:11:49 PM

Expectations

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#19 : February 27, 2007, 06:50:15 PM

Clayton is not a bust yet.   He has this year to shape up or get shipped out. Then it will be time to make that call.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 27, 2007, 07:16:06 PM

I sure hope he makes it. he really isn't a knucklehead.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 27, 2007, 07:23:12 PM

I sure hope he makes it. he really isn't a knucklehead.

I still think the added weight, 20 lbs over his draft weight, have sapped his quickness and burst. People forget he lead the league in RAC his rookie year, now he's got a ypc that looks like Ike Hilliard's. 

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What Makes A WR A Bust? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools