Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Explain this « previous next »
Page: 1

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
: February 27, 2007, 12:14:29 AM

Warren Sapp was said to be past his prime and lost a step with the Bucs, yet he led the league in sacks at his position last year on a D ranked #3.

Booger McFarland was a bust for the Bucs and more than respectable for the Colts.

We overpaid Booger which forced the release of Sapp and both improve their level of play for other teams. It makes me question the coaching.

Sapp played with passion and never should have worn another uniform.

Booger was more passionate about golf and never should have worn a Buccaneer uniform.

Careers hinge on being in the right place at the right time.

#1 : February 27, 2007, 12:35:18 AM

OK...this was the single biggest mistake the Bucs made in the last decade. I say McKay, but you see to infer Monte.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 27, 2007, 01:45:19 AM

OK...this was the single biggest mistake the Bucs made in the last decade. I say McKay, but you seem to infer Monte.

I absolutely agree McKay is responsible for Sapp's departure and the Bucs being stuck with Booger. It is just that I question why the raiduhs and colts get more production out of players we have given up on. Monte can only do so much for so long, given the surrounding talent. There is no clear answer to me. That's why I posed the question.

#3 : February 27, 2007, 02:16:38 AM

I think Indy moved Booger to NT......why didn't the Bucs try that on a regular basis ? I asked that question at the beginning of the season.

Not sure about Sapp's situation in Oakland.

#4 : February 27, 2007, 02:25:28 AM

The problem was 'AND' is that Booger was getting paid like an UT. If anyone remembers (and is willing to admit) both Booger and HOvan were a large part of the Bucs 'great' run defense in 2005. So this theory that the Bucs coaches cant get enough out of players is wrong. The Bucs got everything out of BOoger that the Colts are getting, the only problem was/is that in the Tampa 2 the UT position plays a very important role in everything that goes in during a pass play and Booger couldn't execute his assignment there. For Indianapolis, his lack of pass rushing wa sless of an issue because he was being asked to do what he is good at, and clog the run. They got pass rush out of their DEs, and Booger essentially replaced the wide-wodied Corey Simon. The reality of it is, Booger was an overpaid NT playing the 3 technique in Tampa and is an overpaid NT playing the 1 technique for Indy. He is playing no better or worse than he was playing in Tampa, and both Booger and Sapp were surrounded by premier coaching in Tampa and they would probably be the first ones to tell you taht they saw their best years in Tampa and the best coaching they ever received was in Tampa.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 27, 2007, 02:42:07 AM

I think Indy moved Booger to NT......why didn't the Bucs try that on a regular basis ? I asked that question at the beginning of the season.

Not sure about Sapp's situation in Oakland.

Hovan played UT in Minnesota and had success at it early on. I also wondered why the Bucs didn't try him there when Booger struggled.

One of Buddy Ryan's sons coaches the D for the raiduhs. Obviously they have upgraded their defensive talent and their opponents can't doubleteam Sapp anymore. Ryan's other son coaches the D for the ravens. It looks like those boys learned a few things from their dad.

I'd love to hear Warren's take on all of this.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#6 : February 27, 2007, 02:46:40 AM

When Sapp first went to Oak they were plating a different system, 4/3 I think.  Now they are in a different one & he is in his usual position & got 10 sacks as a result.

#7 : February 27, 2007, 02:54:19 AM

Warren was in his usual position for 3 years and couldnt get 10 sacks from 2001-2003. I might have given him credit in 2001 and 2002 that he was being doubled a lot, but in 2003 it was evidant that Booger was being double teamed actually more often than Sapp, and we still saw little pass rush from big Warren

Glad to see his career still going strong though

Chipper08

Second String
#8 : February 27, 2007, 05:39:24 AM

The problem was 'AND' is that Booger was getting paid like an UT. If anyone remembers (and is willing to admit) both Booger and HOvan were a large part of the Bucs 'great' run defense in 2005. So this theory that the Bucs coaches cant get enough out of players is wrong. The Bucs got everything out of BOoger that the Colts are getting, the only problem was/is that in the Tampa 2 the UT position plays a very important role in everything that goes in during a pass play and Booger couldn't execute his assignment there. For Indianapolis, his lack of pass rushing wa sless of an issue because he was being asked to do what he is good at, and clog the run. They got pass rush out of their DEs, and Booger essentially replaced the wide-wodied Corey Simon. The reality of it is, Booger was an overpaid NT playing the 3 technique in Tampa and is an overpaid NT playing the 1 technique for Indy. He is playing no better or worse than he was playing in Tampa, and both Booger and Sapp were surrounded by premier coaching in Tampa and they would probably be the first ones to tell you taht they saw their best years in Tampa and the best coaching they ever received was in Tampa.

I agree 100%
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Explain this « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools