Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brady Quinn in relation to other 1st round QBs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

: February 27, 2007, 10:11:00 AM

Quinn has taken a major hit in the last two months and doesn't seem to have a lot of fans on here. People say he doesn't show up in the big games and in general can find faults with every aspect of his game. However, this happens to QBs every year and in general such is life with QB play in the NFL. Let's compare him with recent 1st round signal callers:

Vince Young - funky delivery, questionable ability to read defenses, ran a high school offense in college
Matt Leinart - questionable arm strength, surrounded by elite talent in college, potential pretty boy
Jay Cutler - rarely showed against elite competition, never even played in a bowl game

Alex Smith - played against mediocre competition, funky offense, only had one good season
Aaron Rodgers - Jeff Tedford QB
Jason Campbell - looked like a recruiting bust for three of his four years, surrounded by elite talent

Eli Manning - living off the family name, didn't win a lot of big games in college, lacked passion for the game
Philip Rivers - funky delivery, didn't win a lot of big games in college
Ben Roethlisberger - played against mediocre competition, lived off big arm
JP Losman - played against mediocre competition, couldn't cut it at UCLA, appeared to be a headcase

Carson Palmer - looked like a recruiting bust for three of his four years, surrounded by elite talent
Byron Leftwich - played against mediocre competition, long delivery, lack of mobility
Kyle Boller - Jeff Tedford QB
Rex Grossman - Steve Spurrier QB

David Carr - played against mediocre competition, Jeff Tedford ties
Joey Harrington - Jeff Tedford QB
Patrick Ramsey - played against mediocre competition, big arm and that's about it

--------

Basically all or most of these guys were the elite quarterback talents in their drafts and before playing a game I don't see how you could say any one of them was definitely better than Quinn.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 27, 2007, 10:13:03 AM

After watching Quinn over and over and over, because I was force fed ND games the last two years, I just don't think Quinn is all that good. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 27, 2007, 10:15:55 AM

It is the burden of being the front runner. Everyone finds darts to sling at you.

Rivers didn't win big games, Roth didn't win big big games. Manning didn't win big games. Cutler never played in big games to win.

Again, if an overrated ND team with a terrible secondary (recall how Troy smith lit them like a candle the year before in a  bowl) doesn't play LSU this whole debate likely doesn't happen. Russell plays a better team and doesn't go buck friggin' wild (he didn't against the top schools he faced) and Quinn faces a team the rest of his team can handle and plays well.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 27, 2007, 10:22:07 AM

He did more reps at the combine than our "Powerfull" RT, so maybe we can draft Quinn then move him to the Oline?

Shag

Pro Bowler

#4 : February 27, 2007, 10:23:16 AM

The last thing I want the Bucs to do is draft a QB early, but I would rather have him than Russell. It just seems like he is more into the game. Leave the scouting to the pros on this one. There are a lot of things to consider with QB's and we would need to look at a lot of tape to figure how good he is considering the team.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#5 : February 27, 2007, 10:26:56 AM

Quinn always seemed to be able to keep his team IN the game from what I observed. I don't think he wilts under pressure. Okay he didn't win games against the better teams, but last I checked football is a team sport. ND lost a lot of games because they're defense was atrocious.

#6 : February 27, 2007, 10:54:07 AM

Quinn impressed my at the combine.  His attitude and physical condition was first rate.  You can't knock a QB that elects to bench press and then does better than many DEs.  He is totally focused and has enough talent to make an impact in the NFL.

calicojack

Starter
#7 : February 27, 2007, 11:35:00 AM

Brady Quinn benched 225lbs 24 times... He also skipped the throwing drills, the only QB to skip.  He can't throw deep.

The Dream Team

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 27, 2007, 11:48:41 AM

Brady Quinn benched 225lbs 24 times... He also skipped the throwing drills, the only QB to skip.  He can't throw deep.

ESPN's breakdown says:
"Touch and timing on deep ball are outstanding."

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

calicojack

Starter
#9 : February 27, 2007, 11:54:27 AM

Brady Quinn benched 225lbs 24 times... He also skipped the throwing drills, the only QB to skip. He can't throw deep.

ESPN's breakdown says:
"Touch and timing on deep ball are outstanding."

Vic Carucci on NFL.com says:

Still another negative for Quinn is that he is not especially accurate on his throws beyond 20 yards. His longer passes don't consistently have much zip and too often miss their mark.

The Dream Team

gharen

Pro Bowler

#10 : February 27, 2007, 11:56:59 AM

He's not the only Qb that didn't workout. Russell didn't either. Young didn't work out last year and it didn't hurt him.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 27, 2007, 11:57:48 AM

He did more reps at the combine than our "Powerfull" RT, so maybe we can draft Quinn then move him to the Oline?

Having weight lifting experience I know that guys with shorter arms will bench more than a player with longer arms unless they are a rare freak.

Also it is called physics.

My instinicts tell me you have never lifted a weight in your life and you have no clue about physics.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 27, 2007, 12:22:20 PM

It is the burden of being the front runner. Everyone finds darts to sling at you.

Rivers didn't win big games, Roth didn't win big big games. Manning didn't win big games. Cutler never played in big games to win.

Again, if an overrated ND team with a terrible secondary (recall how Troy smith lit them like a candle the year before in a bowl) doesn't play LSU this whole debate likely doesn't happen. Russell plays a better team and doesn't go buck friggin' wild (he didn't against the top schools he faced) and Quinn faces a team the rest of his team can handle and plays well.

Thank you dal! I had a thread on this earlier. You look at Russell and Quinns games against top tier talent and see who played better. Its a pure myth that Quinn cannot play well against top notch competition. If Quinn cannot then Russell certainly cannot.

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 27, 2007, 12:29:52 PM

If Quinn cannot then Russell certainly cannot.

If Quinn was in the SEC he would fold like an easy chair.  At least Peyton Manning played in the SEC.

Russell has a better completion percentage than Quinn but that fact seems to be overlooked.

Russell also faced better competition than Quinn and still ended up with a better completion percentage.  If anyone believes otherwise they are just fooling themselves and need to take off the blinders.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#14 : February 27, 2007, 12:36:33 PM

Russell had one bad game against good comp, against UF.  They made a lot of QB's look dumb, ask Troy Smith.  

His other "bad" game against UT he had 3 picks but 3 TD's and led his team to a win.

Russell's lowest completion % in a game was 56%.  Quinn had 3 games  50% or less , against Michigan, USC, and LSU. Only LSU had a top notch pass d.  

Quinn isn't  as accurate as advertised (or as Russell), gets happy feet in the pocket, and wilts when pressured.  Russell stands tall, delivers under pressure, and takes the hit.  He also has a much stronger and accurate arm.  This is why Most view Russell as better than Quinn, not because LSU beat ND.  IMO the AR game where Russell willed them to a win was more important than the bowl game.  It was a better defense and showed his leadership as he refused to let them lose. He did the same thing against a good UT team throwing a winning TD pass as the game expired, despite 3 INT's earlier.  He doesn't get rattled.  He is freak physically and seems to have the mental aspect too.  Again, that is why he is ated above Quinn, not a bowl game.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brady Quinn in relation to other 1st round QBs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools