Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brady Quinn in relation to other 1st round QBs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #15 : February 27, 2007, 12:48:31 PM »

The problem with the "Quinn lost big games, and so did Manning theory" is that in a lot of his big games, Manning in fact came up pretty big. The whole "he can't beat UF" meme ignores the fact that he actually had some pretty gaudy numbers against them. I believe he had 500 yards one year at BHG. The Vols D traditionally gave up some big points when they did lose. IIRC, Manning didn't have a lot of games like he's had in the NFL playoffs where he played like a dog and his team lost.

Quinn usually had bad numbers to go along with the losses (not always, but in a lot of them).

My problem with Quinn is that even in his good games he has big stretches of inconsistency.

I've said it before, but I'll repeat it - I don't have problems if the Bucs evaluate Quinn and find him lacking. I do have problems if the Bucs simply rule out the position. 

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #16 : February 27, 2007, 12:50:48 PM »

Also, I find it funny that a lot of the media guys advertisized as "scouts" acted like fans were crazy to knock Quinn, and yet now they are all recognizing that many real live scouts have some issues with him.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #17 : February 27, 2007, 12:54:02 PM »

We need to improve at QB. If we go in with Simms/Rattay/Gradkowski we're doomed to another 3-4 win season.
I'm hoping we draft a decent QB in April, otherwise we won't have much to look forward to this coming season. I kind of hope that we get Russel or Quinn -

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #18 : February 27, 2007, 12:59:32 PM »

I find the whole thing funny Booker - both qbs are accomplished and both are getting drug through the mud like they never won a game.  Russell can't do this, Quinn can't do that - it is a wonder either recieved a scholarship let alone picked in the upper part of the first round.  

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #19 : February 27, 2007, 01:04:48 PM »

We need to improve at QB. If we go in with Simms/Rattay/Gradkowski we're doomed to another 3-4 win season.
I'm hoping we draft a decent QB in April, otherwise we won't have much to look forward to this coming season. I kind of hope that we get Russel or Quinn -

That's not really true. Simms would probably do better than any rookie QB.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #20 : February 27, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »

LSU's WR are night and day compared to that of ND's.

Here are some stats for you guys regarding Quinn and Russell

Quinn threw 13 TD's and threw 5 INT's against the likes of Penn State (who drug Tennessee), Michigan (one of the best Defensive Units in the country), UCLA (who shut down a vaunted USC offense), USC (I think we know USC) and LSU.

Russell in big games against Auburn, Tenn, Florida, ND and Arkanasas threw for 10 TD's and had 7 Ints.

I don't know understand why people think that Quinn is irrelevant and that Russell is so much better. Russell has a bigger arm, great whooptie doo! Quinn is faster, much smarter and has been coached up by one of the best QB guys on the planet.

You can say he pads stats all day long but when you look at the stats from 2006, there they are. Give me Quinn any day of the week.

ADW, what competition did he play that was SOOOO superior, Florida? Ok that is one team, Florida, national champs.

Tenn didn't win a bowl game (Lost to a team that Quinn played against and threw 3 TD's against)
Ark didn't win a bowl game (Lost to a team Michigan beat who Quinn played against)
Auburn slid by Nebraska (collapsed half way thru the season)
ND didn't win a bowl game (have a pathetic defense)

Besides that his schedule was brutal...

Louisiana lafayette
Arizona
Tulane
Mississippi St
Kentucky
Fresno
Alabama
Ole'Miss

Now I'm not saying that Quinn played against the toughest schedule in the country but you look at Penn State who won a bowl against a team that dominated Russell, Michigan who had one of the top defensive units in the country, UCLA who shut down USC, USC who had a great team, and LSU who also had a great team you will see that Quinn did perform at a good level throwing for 13 td's and 5 ints all the while carrying a team that could not even come close the calibur of players that LSU has. You look at that body of work and its damn near the same. The assertation that Quinn could not play in the SEC is ridiculously inept. Some speak of blinders and other speak of goggles, take of the SEC goggles guys...

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #21 : February 27, 2007, 01:08:53 PM »

Sorry not buying that arguement.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #22 : February 27, 2007, 01:10:03 PM »

He didn't show it last season. I've seen a few good rookie QBs lately do well in their first season -  Vince Young, Rothlesberger.  Simms just doesn't have the skills.

That's not really true. Simms would probably do better than any rookie QB.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #23 : February 27, 2007, 01:25:19 PM »

There is so much wrong with cvilles post it isn't  even worth tearing it apart.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #24 : February 27, 2007, 01:29:17 PM »

The talent around Quinn is no better than what Philip Rivers had at NC State and no one ripped them for going 8-4 every year.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #25 : February 27, 2007, 01:34:36 PM »

The talent around Quinn is no better than what Philip Rivers had at NC State and no one ripped them for going 8-4 every year.

Go take a look at Rivers completion percentage to Quinn's in college.  Now come back to me and tell me if the Rivers and Quinn comparision works. ???

Now go compare the talent surrounding Cutler and compare it to Quinn. :D

Every excuse for Quinn has been used and nearly every comparison.  Reality is Quinn is a good QB but he is not even close to Peyton Manning, Cutler, Rivers, or even Leinart coming out from college.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #26 : February 27, 2007, 01:59:32 PM »

ADW - agree with what you posted and would add every potential avenue to tear Quinn down has been provided.  Now the pro scouts have to make up their minds.  I think he will be a good qb, but clearly hasn't shown the ability to be elite yet.  Now they find out about his physical make up and then the very important mental skills and leadership ability.  It will be interesting.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Larry Brackins

Starter
« #27 : February 27, 2007, 02:06:57 PM »

Brady Quinn didn't win a big game because his defense blew. Is it his fault their defene gave up 4th and 15(?) to USC. Is it his fault the D gave up over 40 to LSU?

The big game argument doesn't hold water. I wouldn't shed a tear at all if we drafted Quinn.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

« #28 : February 27, 2007, 03:31:37 PM »

I'm just not convinced that there are any 'franchise' QBs in this draft, although I do think Russel could do well with Kiffen.

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

« #29 : February 27, 2007, 07:16:17 PM »

Here are some stats for you guys regarding Quinn and Russell

Quinn threw 13 TD's and threw 5 INT's against the likes of Penn State (who drug Tennessee), Michigan (one of the best Defensive Units in the country), UCLA (who shut down a vaunted USC offense), USC (I think we know USC) and LSU.

Russell in big games against Auburn, Tenn, Florida, ND and Arkanasas threw for 10 TD's and had 7 Ints.

I don't know understand why people think that Quinn is irrelevant and that Russell is so much better. Russell has a bigger arm, great whooptie doo! Quinn is faster, much smarter and has been coached up by one of the best QB guys on the planet.

You can say he pads stats all day long but when you look at the stats from 2006, there they are. Give me Quinn any day of the week.

ADW, what competition did he play that was SOOOO superior, Florida? Ok that is one team, Florida, national champs.

Tenn didn't win a bowl game (Lost to a team that Quinn played against and threw 3 TD's against)
Ark didn't win a bowl game (Lost to a team Michigan beat who Quinn played against)
Auburn slid by Nebraska (collapsed half way thru the season)
ND didn't win a bowl game (have a pathetic defense)

Besides that his schedule was brutal...

Louisiana lafayette
Arizona
Tulane
Mississippi St
Kentucky
Fresno
Alabama
Ole'Miss

Now I'm not saying that Quinn played against the toughest schedule in the country but you look at Penn State who won a bowl against a team that dominated Russell, Michigan who had one of the top defensive units in the country, UCLA who shut down USC, USC who had a great team, and LSU who also had a great team you will see that Quinn did perform at a good level throwing for 13 td's and 5 ints all the while carrying a team that could not even come close the calibur of players that LSU has. You look at that body of work and its damn near the same. The assertation that Quinn could not play in the SEC is ridiculously inept. Some speak of blinders and other speak of goggles, take of the SEC goggles guys...

I think Corso said this "It doesn't matter "who beat who" in college. Auburn beat Florida and Florida beat Ohio state, that would make auburn national champs! But Georgia and Arky beat auburn... See my point?

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brady Quinn in relation to other 1st round QBs « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools