Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve White: We Should See A Noticable Improvement in D on Sunday « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

: November 24, 2009, 12:43:44 PM

Another excellent blog entry by the former Buccaneer. He even throws in a Chuck Darby mention. SW also calls out a few of the posters from here and elsewhere, too. Why a Bucs fan wouldn't want to read his takes is beyond me.

http://passingonthegame.blogspot.com/2009/11/difference.html

It's a long entry. Here's one excerpt...

As for whether this will make a change on defense, absolutely it will. The one thing that I am worried about the calls Coach Morris will make at crucial times. I haven't seen him in that situation so I am not sure how that will go. But I am telling you right here and now that our defense will show a marked improvement on Sunday against the Falcons if they truly go back to our old scheme with the weak tackle lined up over the center and at times running an under defense with Quincy Black on the line over the tight end. If you see those things happening on Sunday you will see our stats improve. Basically the thing about it is there were small adjustments Bates had every opportunity to make all year but never made them.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 24, 2009, 12:54:01 PM

And his response in the comments section of said blog entry...

We don't need a big nose tackle in Monte's scheme to be successful. As a matter of fact out of all those years of us being in the top 10 in defense we never actually had a really big nosetackle. We had guys like Brad Culpepper, Booger McFarland, Chartric Darby, and then Chris Hovan. None of those guys are big like Gilbert Brown and yet we still had success because its essentially a one gap defense. We don't need the nose to blow up double teams. We need them not to get pushed off the ball on the double team and stay in the A gap in case the ball runs there. If our Middle linebacker comes down hill through the opposite A gap on the run, we don't have that problem anyway.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 24, 2009, 01:29:58 PM

Good article

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 24, 2009, 01:30:18 PM

I like how he responds to people.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 24, 2009, 01:34:42 PM

Geezus, I hope there is a "noticeable improvement" after that dreadful showing on Sunday, giving up 38 points and 180+ rushing yards.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 24, 2009, 01:36:32 PM

Don't "need" a big nose tackle, but it sure would be nice to have one that could push the pocket.

john.matincheck

Starter

#6 : November 24, 2009, 01:42:46 PM

Depends how you gauge improvement. If you are comparing last week versus the Saints to what happens this week versus the Falcons I would say yes you should see a big improvement. That tends to happen when you go from playing one of the best offenses in the league to one with a second year QB and a banged up running back. I still doubt their ability to stop the run and to get consistent heat on the QB.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 24, 2009, 01:44:09 PM

Geezus, I hope there is a "noticeable improvement" after that dreadful showing on Sunday, giving up 38 points and 180+ rushing yards.

To be fair, the Saints' offense didn't fare any better against us last week than they have been averaging all season.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 24, 2009, 01:48:05 PM

To be fair, the Saints' offense didn't fare any better against us last week than they have been averaging all season.

Yeah, but the Saints pretty much shut it down in the second half with Brees only throwing the ball 6 times the entire second half.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 24, 2009, 01:50:18 PM

Yeah, but the Saints pretty much shut it down in the second half with Brees only throwing the ball 6 times the entire second half.

And that's why their rushing totals were so high.  Total offense was 370 yards and 38 points vs their avg of 412 yards and 37 points.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#10 : November 24, 2009, 01:55:12 PM

And that's why their rushing totals were so high.  Total offense was 370 yards and 38 points vs their avg of 412 yards and 37 points.

Their rushing totals were so high because the Bucs couldn't stop them.  No need to throw when you can hand it off to Thomas and Bell when they are getting 6.96 YPC.

Brees threw for 154 yards and 2 TD's in the first half, for a 113.3 rating.  There is no reason to suspect that would have changed in the second half if NO would have wanted to continue throwing.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 24, 2009, 02:03:10 PM

And that's why their rushing totals were so high. Total offense was 370 yards and 38 points vs their avg of 412 yards and 37 points.

Their rushing totals were so high because the Bucs couldn't stop them. No need to throw when you can hand it off to Thomas and Bell when they are getting 6.96 YPC.

Brees threw for 154 yards and 2 TD's in the first half, for a 113.3 rating. There is no reason to suspect that would have changed in the second half if NO would have wanted to continue throwing.

That's my point, though.  Passing or running, either way their offensive total wasn't significantly different than what they have been doing all season.  Even if you just look at what they did in the first half, they were on pace for 380 total yards against their season average of 412.  Our defense is no great shakes by any stretch of the imagination, but let's not discount that NO is an offensive juggernaut.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 24, 2009, 02:05:32 PM

I'm not discounting NO in the slightest, but the defensive performance (especially the front 7) was awful no matter who they were playing against.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 24, 2009, 02:09:50 PM

If the front seven are so bad, then changing scheme shouldn't change things that much. And I think White is smart enough to know that Atlanta's O isn't as good as NO.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 24, 2009, 02:14:09 PM

And I think White is smart enough to know that Atlanta's O isn't as good as NO.

I think most folks know that.  Also, Atlanta's (28th) overall defense is actually worse than the Bucs (27th) - so the Bucs offense should be able to do more vs. NO.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve White: We Should See A Noticable Improvement in D on Sunday « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools