Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When to draft a QB? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« : February 27, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NFL_Czar/2007/02/25/When_to_draft_a_quarterback

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 27, 2007, 02:14:31 PM »

That assumes saving a failing coach is a good reason to make a decision. It isn't but I assume that is why we won't take a QB.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #2 : February 27, 2007, 02:16:30 PM »

The Bucs won't take a QB.  I haven't heard any talks of contract extension yet, so kiss that notion goodbye.  Gruden is going to try to save his job.  He isn't going to be thinking down the road here...he can't, and if we know it, I am positive he knows it.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 27, 2007, 02:17:27 PM »

He isn't going to be thinking down the road here...

Actually, I disagree.

Larry Brackins

Starter
« #4 : February 27, 2007, 02:20:01 PM »

The Bucs won't take a QB. I haven't heard any talks of contract extension yet, so kiss that notion goodbye. Gruden is going to try to save his job. He isn't going to be thinking down the road here...he can't, and if we know it, I am positive he knows it.

And what if he can't get Garcia? Quinn is a 100 times better option the Plummer, and you have to give up a 3rd rounder for a big MAYBE (we have that in Simms) for Carr. There just aren't that many options.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #5 : February 27, 2007, 02:20:50 PM »

Gruden isn't some coordinator trying to prove himself. Some other team would make him the head coach.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #6 : February 27, 2007, 02:22:48 PM »

He isn't going to be thinking down the road here...

Actually, I disagree.
Why?

You can disagree, but you think Gruden is going to get resigned if they win 7 games next year?  Methinks that is a crazy fallacy.  And Gruden needs guys who can provide impact immediately in order to create a difference in win/loss column.  What good is Quinn if he sits pine "learning" for the season?  I doubt Gruden goes rookie Qb again...

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #7 : February 27, 2007, 02:24:46 PM »

Isn't the whole point of having a GM is to prevent Head Coaches from making short sighted maneuvers?  Are you saying Allen is nothing more than a Gruden puppet?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #8 : February 27, 2007, 02:35:27 PM »

Why?

Because from everything I've been able to gather, Coach is planning on being here past 2007 and he's trying to make decisions that are in line with that way of thinking.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 27, 2007, 02:37:50 PM »

Isn't the whole point of having a GM is to prevent Head Coaches from making short sighted maneuvers?  Are you saying Allen is nothing more than a Gruden puppet?

*Gap* no one would think that.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #10 : February 27, 2007, 02:39:37 PM »

Why?

Because from everything I've been able to gather, Coach is planning on being here past 2007 and he's trying to make decisions that are in line with that way of thinking.
Well if your info gathering assumes that Gruden stays next year with 6-7 wins, I think your info is wrong.

Look, I might be one of the bigger Gruden supporters here.  But even I know that if he tanks next year, he is a goner.  Hell, Cowher will be available by then...so might Ron Rivera...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #11 : February 27, 2007, 02:49:33 PM »

Well if your info gathering assumes that Gruden stays next year with 6-7 wins, I think your info is wrong.

Look, I might be one of the bigger Gruden supporters here.  But even I know that if he tanks next year, he is a goner.  Hell, Cowher will be available by then...so might Ron Rivera...

I'm not saying he WILL be here after 2007, but from all of the discussions I've had (and I haven't spoken to him about it directly, nor would I expect him to speak with me about it) from the periphery, it appears as though he's operating like he WILL be.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #12 : February 27, 2007, 02:53:08 PM »

I think it's encouraging that at least Gruden is taking a hard look at the guy. My worry all along is that we would simply rule a QB out of hand. I'm willing to defer to Gruden's judgement on the guy, even if that flys in the face of my own sense that he's not as good as advertised.

Here's something to chew on - the thinking has been that the Bucs will not take a QB because it will somehow destroy the Bucs' record, and Gruden will be fired.  But as Dalbuc has mentioned elsewhere, if the Bucs do in fact get Garcia it really is a pretty good time to take a shot at a QB. Gruden would be protected from throwing a rookie out there in week 1 so the potential for one of those awful rookie QB starting 16 games season would be non-existent.  

The loss would be that we wouldn't have the marginal benefit of a player other than Quinn on the team. That might (might not) be an issue if Calvin Johnson is the guy, but I'd assume the Bucs would take Quinn only if JT or CJ weren't there. So then it becomes an issue of how many additional wins in 2007 is a guy like Gaines Adams worth?

1? 2?

I'm not sure I know the answer, but I hope somebody at Buc Palace has the right one.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #13 : February 27, 2007, 03:01:57 PM »

Didn't Gruden publicly say he wouldn't make any off-season / draft moves to help in the short term that would jeopardize the long term?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #14 : February 27, 2007, 03:03:48 PM »

Look, I might be one of the bigger Gruden supporters here. But even I know that if he tanks next year, he is a goner. Hell, Cowher will be available by then...so might Ron Rivera...

I'm not saying he WILL be here after 2007, but from all of the discussions I've had (and I haven't spoken to him about it directly, nor would I expect him to speak with me about it) from the periphery, it appears as though he's operating like he WILL be.
Well of course he is going to say these things, and to project a "There is no fire" attitude.  The mans job is on the line, wether he wants to accept it or not...6 wins/7 wins and adios.  And if he wants to boost the win total, he would be best served by spending it on an every down, impact rookie, and signing a few good FAs here and there.  If Garcia comes in, and wins him 9-10 games, Gruden gets a rebate on his job, no?  And by then, there might be a better crop of FAs to select from.  They did resign Simms, so I am pretty sure they haven't given up on him yet.  Rattay was more than serviceable, espescially considering the nature of the offense entirely, and GRads is a QB he used for the bulk of the year...

Gruden won't draft a QB IMO.  He isn't silly enough to think he will be around, or handed an extension if the team flounders.

Didn't Gruden publicly say he wouldn't make any off-season / draft moves to help in the short term that would jeopardize the long term?
What else is he going to say?  Think about it.

I think it's encouraging that at least Gruden is taking a hard look at the guy. My worry all along is that we would simply rule a QB out of hand. I'm willing to defer to Gruden's judgement on the guy, even if that flys in the face of my own sense that he's not as good as advertised.

Here's something to chew on - the thinking has been that the Bucs will not take a QB because it will somehow destroy the Bucs' record, and Gruden will be fired.  But as Dalbuc has mentioned elsewhere, if the Bucs do in fact get Garcia it really is a pretty good time to take a shot at a QB. Gruden would be protected from throwing a rookie out there in week 1 so the potential for one of those awful rookie QB starting 16 games season would be non-existent. 

The loss would be that we wouldn't have the marginal benefit of a player other than Quinn on the team. That might (might not) be an issue if Calvin Johnson is the guy, but I'd assume the Bucs would take Quinn only if JT or CJ weren't there. So then it becomes an issue of how many additional wins in 2007 is a guy like Gaines Adams worth?

1? 2?

I'm not sure I know the answer, but I hope somebody at Buc Palace has the right one.

If GRuden shores up the D-line, which is more important than practically anything right now, and Gaines adds 1 or 2 wins, it is a bonus, espescially considering the nature of Grudens tenure here.  He doesn't have a chokehold on his job now.  Eight wins versus 10 victorys is huge, espescially when considering the nature of the situation forthcoming in less than 365...

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When to draft a QB? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools