Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When to draft a QB? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

ranman

Pro Bowler
#15 : February 27, 2007, 03:06:30 PM

Show me a link where the Glazers state it is his last year/ or it's a make or break year.  Why not look at a QB?  Are we so short termed that the pick must pay off immediately?  I haven't heard that yet from the people in charge.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 27, 2007, 03:10:35 PM

Didn't Gruden publicly say he wouldn't make any off-season / draft moves to help in the short term that would jeopardize the long term?
What else is he going to say?  Think about it.

I think it's encouraging that at least Gruden is taking a hard look at the guy. My worry all along is that we would simply rule a QB out of hand. I'm willing to defer to Gruden's judgement on the guy, even if that flys in the face of my own sense that he's not as good as advertised.

Here's something to chew on - the thinking has been that the Bucs will not take a QB because it will somehow destroy the Bucs' record, and Gruden will be fired.  But as Dalbuc has mentioned elsewhere, if the Bucs do in fact get Garcia it really is a pretty good time to take a shot at a QB. Gruden would be protected from throwing a rookie out there in week 1 so the potential for one of those awful rookie QB starting 16 games season would be non-existent. 

The loss would be that we wouldn't have the marginal benefit of a player other than Quinn on the team. That might (might not) be an issue if Calvin Johnson is the guy, but I'd assume the Bucs would take Quinn only if JT or CJ weren't there. So then it becomes an issue of how many additional wins in 2007 is a guy like Gaines Adams worth?

1? 2?

I'm not sure I know the answer, but I hope somebody at Buc Palace has the right one.

If GRuden shores up the D-line, which is more important than practically anything right now, and Gaines adds 1 or 2 wins, it is a bonus, espescially considering the nature of Grudens tenure here.  He doesn't have a chokehold on his job now.  Eight wins versus 10 victorys is huge, espescially when considering the nature of the situation forthcoming in less than 365...

ranman

Pro Bowler
#17 : February 27, 2007, 03:12:08 PM

Gruden's contract is through the 08 season.  I don't think they will draft for the short term. 

Shag

Pro Bowler

#18 : February 27, 2007, 03:14:16 PM

Didn't Gruden publicly say he wouldn't make any off-season / draft moves to help in the short term that would jeopardize the long term?

We still have the same OL coach.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 27, 2007, 03:19:19 PM

I don't think they'll draft a QB but for other reasons than what Boid's spitting. Quinn isn't worth the top pick, period. If that's Leinart I would think differently but Quinn just isn't that type of guy and the coaches know it. The Bucs will take the best player available with this pick, not base the decision on need, IMVHO.

ranman

Pro Bowler
#20 : February 27, 2007, 03:22:00 PM

Gruden won't draft a QB IMO.  He isn't silly enough to think he will be around, or handed an extension if the team flounders.

He has two years left - where is tyhe post stating the Glzers would boot him after this year if he doesn't look for short term gain?

ranman

Pro Bowler
#21 : February 27, 2007, 03:24:35 PM

Boid,
Where is there a link that the Glazers won't allow him to finish out the remaining two years?  I think the short term problem solving is dangerous whn going into any draft.  I would not be surprised to see them go QB in the first two picks. 

ranman

Pro Bowler
#22 : February 27, 2007, 04:51:31 PM

The Bucs won't take a QB. I haven't heard any talks of contract extension yet, so kiss that notion goodbye. Gruden is going to try to save his job. He isn't going to be thinking down the road here...he can't, and if we know it, I am positive he knows it.

Boid,
I thought Gruden had two years left, a two yr extension on top of five year would put him through 08 season.  If that is the case then I am not sold on your short term is the only solution strategy...

ranman

Pro Bowler
#23 : February 27, 2007, 05:00:52 PM

I apologize in advance for the multiple posts.  The chat was ongoing - I forgot - and the PR bandwidth was at a crawl.  Hell I must have hit rferesh and re-post two too many times.  sorry!

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#24 : February 27, 2007, 07:11:02 PM

So then it becomes an issue of how many additional wins in 2007 is a guy like Gaines Adams worth?

1? 2?

I'm not sure I know the answer, but I hope somebody at Buc Palace has the right one.

If GRuden shores up the D-line, which is more important than practically anything right now, and Gaines adds 1 or 2 wins, it is a bonus, espescially considering the nature of Grudens tenure here. He doesn't have a chokehold on his job now. Eight wins versus 10 victorys is huge, espescially when considering the nature of the situation forthcoming in less than 365...

I don't think we can count on any rookies to come in and give this team 1 or 2 more wins.  And I don't see how this team will suddenly become a 9 or 10 win team next year w/o a bonanza of quality FAs, especially an upgrade at QB.  If 6 or 7 wins loses Gruden his job then he's already a lame duck coach and should've been replaced at the end of the season.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#25 : February 27, 2007, 08:17:45 PM

You draft a QB in the 6th round with the name "Tom Brady" #12 you have to make sure the school says Michigan.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#26 : February 28, 2007, 12:17:43 AM

Isn't the whole point of having a GM is to prevent Head Coaches from making short sighted maneuvers? Are you saying Allen is nothing more than a Gruden puppet?
Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner!!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 28, 2007, 09:27:51 AM

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner!!

It must be sad to live in your world.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#28 : February 28, 2007, 02:01:39 PM

Maybe next season with the top 5 pick we are sure to have.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#29 : February 28, 2007, 02:04:32 PM

Maybe next season with the top 5 pick we are sure to have.

Simms will lead the Bucs to a losing season next year? ???
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When to draft a QB? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools