Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Boomerang kids" on a rise... « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: November 24, 2009, 07:18:34 PM

WASHINGTON – Faced with limited job options, many young adults are turning to an old standby to weather the recession: moving back in with mom and dad. Nearly 1 in 7 parents with grown children say they had a "boomerang kid" move back home in the past year, according to a study being released Tuesday by the Pew Research Center. In a turnabout in the rite of passage in which a college graduate finds a job and an apartment, many are returning to their parents' empty nests because of tight finances or as they pursue an advanced degree.

"The journey home for Thanksgiving won't be quite so far this year for many adults," said researchers Wendy Wang and Rich Morin, who wrote the report. "Instead of traveling across country or across town, many grown sons or daughters will be coming to dinner from their old bedroom down the hall."

Pew's survey and analysis of government data found that the share of adults 18 to 29 who lived alone declined from 7.9 percent in 2007 to 7.3 percent this year. Drops of that magnitude were also seen during or immediately after the recessions of 1982 and 2001.

Roughly one-third, or 35 percent, of boomerang kids said they had lived independently at some point in their lives but had to move back in with their parents. About half of the grown children worked full- or part-time, while 25 percent were unemployed and 20 percent were full-time students.

The findings are the latest to highlight the sweeping social impact of a recession that began in December 2007. The effects have included declining immigration and U.S. migration between states, as well as increased carpools, use of public transit and "doubling up" of families in single-residence homes.

More at:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_go_ot/us_boomerang_kids

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 25, 2009, 02:13:26 PM

When I changed jobs about 14 years ago and moved back to my hometown, I stayed with my mom and dad for about 10 months to save up some money for a down payment for a house. I was in my late 20s and it was about 6 months to long! Love my folks, but had different lifestyles by that point. :)

SoDakBuc

Starter

#2 : November 26, 2009, 01:11:35 PM

My brother in law, an 8 year college student, just moved back in with his parents and he's married to boot. So now my in-laws have a 32 year old son, his 28 year old wife, and a 23 year old daughter plaguing their home.
Oh, he's an undeclared college student by the way, as is his wife.

The difference between a successful team and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 26, 2009, 08:25:44 PM

Somehow I'm reminded of Bluto uttering those famous words "seven years of college down the drain!"

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 26, 2009, 11:27:37 PM

In many countries, it's the norm to live with your parents.    I actually think that is a better system.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Boomerang kids" on a rise... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools