Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Last 5, 2nd round picks of the last 5 years « previous next »
Page: 1 2

coopsxx

Starter
: October 17, 2006, 08:15:51 PM

As you can see there is ALOT of talent there, plus there were great players selected later too, and around these picks.
This is the worst casse scenarion, imagine if manning got hurt or summit, but its a fair asumption that they are a top 5 team. Infact some of these picks are suplemental so we would have been picking higher as you can see indy on has a few picks in these samples.

61   Buffalo              Ryan Denney              DE         Brigham Young
62   Pittsburgh   Antwaan Randle El     WR   Indiana
63   Dallas              Antonio Bryant       WR         Pittsburgh
64   St. Louis     Travis Fisher                CB    Central Florida
65   New England  Deion Branch         WR   Louisville

60   Tennessee      Tyrone Calico           WR     Middle Tennessee
61   Philadelphia   L.J. Smith                TE           Rutgers
62   San Diego   Terrence Kiel             SS        Texas A&M
63   Oakland            Teyo Johnson            TE       Stanford
64   Tampa Bay      Dewayne White       DE          Louisville

59   Cleveland    Sean Jones             SS        Georgia
60   New Orleans   Courtney Watson     MLB        Notre Dame
61   Kansas City   Kris Wilson              TE         Pittsburgh
62   Carolina       Keary Colbert      WR        Southern California
63   New England   Marquise Hill           DE      Louisiana State

60   Indianapolis    Kelvin Hayden           CB       Illinois
61   San Diego    Vincent Jackson   WR     Northern Colorado
62   Pittsburgh     Bryant McFadden      CB     Florida State
63   Philadelphia    Matt McCoy             OLB       San Diego State
64   Baltimore     Adam Terry              T           Syracuse

28   Jacksonville     Drew, Maurice            RB        UCLA
29   Denver              Scheffler, Tony      TE          Western Michigan
30   Indianapolis    Jennings, Tim            CB        Georgia
31   Seattle       Tapp, Darryl                DE            Virginia Tech
32   Minnesota       Jackson, Tarvaris      QB      Alabama State

coopsxx

Starter
#1 : October 18, 2006, 12:49:49 AM

bump

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 18, 2006, 06:25:31 AM

Good post. Lets hope the crop of players around our 2nd 2nd Rounder is equal to 2002.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 18, 2006, 07:23:27 AM

One by one Allen is getting all of those old draft picks we gave up in the past.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 18, 2006, 11:46:54 AM

lots of bustsdisappointments in that list. without doing detailed research, i'd be surprised if half those guys are starting right now. hope we can do better than most of those teams  did.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 18, 2006, 12:19:00 PM

The best players are the WR's from that group.  Too bad thats what we dont need right now.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

coopsxx

Starter
#6 : October 18, 2006, 12:21:43 PM

thats what i thought, but you need 3 years to really grade a player.

2002 - 5 are starting, Branch was a SB MVP. Bryant has had 2 1000 seasons.
2003 - 2 are starting (kiel was before the drugs bust) / we know about White. 2 r busts.

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#7 : October 18, 2006, 12:33:32 PM

One by one Allen is getting all of those old draft picks we gave up in the past.
But what will he do with those picks?  I don't think the Bucs have done an adequate job in drafting and FA since the SB season.  I know it isn't popular to say, but I just don't think Allen and Gruden are living up to the hype.  I know they don't control the hype factor, but I really question our scouting and tallents evaluators, then the follow through on picking players up.

I still can't understand how they let Lynch go (he was willing to take a pay cut) with the idea Phillips was going to replace him.   

coopsxx

Starter
#8 : October 18, 2006, 12:48:55 PM

But what will he do with those picks?  I don't think the Bucs have done an adequate job in drafting and FA since the SB season.  I know it isn't popular to say, but I just don't think Allen and Gruden are living up to the hype.  I know they don't control the hype factor, but I really question our scouting and tallents evaluators, then the follow through on picking players up.

I still can't understand how they let Lynch go (he was willing to take a pay cut) with the idea Phillips was going to replace him.   

are you freakin kidding?
We had rookie of the year last year. Caddy
We had runner up rookie fo the year before. Clayton (lost out to Roth.)
We have a 6th round QB starting and playing well.
We have an OL consisting of a 1st, 2nd and 4th rounder.
We have a talented 2nd year TE, who has score the last 2 weeks.

Defensively this will be the year, behind promising guys like Allen, White, Ruud, Zem, Cox who are yet to solidify we have not got any stars. But that will come, we already had the D in place.

I defy you to find a team who has been better, quoting examples.

(Lynch was seriously injured at the time, its very easy to say that now.)

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#9 : October 18, 2006, 01:37:23 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have the time for a detailed response. 

You cited some of the success stories, I'll include Galloway, Hovan, Byant, & Ike that have helped us out.  Look at some of our draft picks (I know the number of draft picks that make it are not that great in number) and especially FA that have come and gone (Stuessie & gang).  The GM & Head Coach are responsible for who comes and goes, coaches, scouts & players and game planning.  IMO they haven't done a good enough job since the SB win, hence the record.

Since the SB win, other than last year, we have sucked, 24-29 +/-. 

I was never onboard with letting Lynch go.  The Broncos picked him up rather quickly and after a physical. 

I certainly can't give examples of other teams Draft & FA success as I don't keep up with them.  I only follow the Bucs.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 18, 2006, 01:42:13 PM

You cited some of the success stories, I'll include Galloway, Hovan, Byant, & Ike that have helped us out. Look at some of our draft picks (I know the number of draft picks that make it are not that great in number) and especially FA that have come and gone (Stuessie & gang). The GM & Head Coach are responsible for who comes and goes, coaches, scouts & players and game planning. IMO they haven't done a good enough job since the SB win, hence the record.

I was never onboard with letting Lynch go. The Broncos picked him up rather quickly and after a physical.

I certainly can't give examples of other teams Draft & FA success as I don't keep up with them. I only follow the Bucs.

I liked that Jackson kid that went to Minny...he looked good in preseason.  Not great, but he has some quicks and was poised, I thought, for a rook...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

LynchPin

Rookie

#11 : October 18, 2006, 01:58:20 PM

But what will he do with those picks? I don't think the Bucs have done an adequate job in drafting and FA since the SB season. I know it isn't popular to say, but I just don't think Allen and Gruden are living up to the hype. I know they don't control the hype factor, but I really question our scouting and tallents evaluators, then the follow through on picking players up.

Because of the picks given up for Gruden, the Bucs have only had 11 first day picks over the last 5 years.  

Marquise Walker (bust)
Dewayne White (would start for most teams)
Chris Simms (starter)
Michael Clayton (starter, ROY runner up)
Marquise Cooper (bust)
Carnell Williams (starter, ROY)
Barrett Ruud (would start for many teams)
Alex Smith (significant role in the offense as pass catching TE)
Davin Joseph (starter)
Jeremy Trueblood (starter)
Maurice Stovall (?)

Of those 11, 5 are starters, 2 play significant roles rotating in, 2 we just haven't see enough of, and only 2 have been busts.  Allen/Gruden have not done a very good job on the second day of the draft.  I'll grant you that.

coopsxx

Starter
#12 : October 18, 2006, 03:24:59 PM

yeh Jackson will be an NFL starter in a year or 2,

coopsxx

Starter
#13 : October 18, 2006, 03:27:42 PM

You cited some of the success stories, I'll include Galloway, Hovan, Byant, & Ike that have helped us out.  Look at some of our draft picks (I know the number of draft picks that make it are not that great in number) and especially FA that have come and gone (Stuessie & gang).  The GM & Head Coach are responsible for who comes and goes, coaches, scouts & players and game planning.  IMO they haven't done a good enough job since the SB win, hence the record.

I was never onboard with letting Lynch go.  The Broncos picked him up rather quickly and after a physical. 

I certainly can't give examples of other teams Draft & FA success as I don't keep up with them.  I only follow the Bucs.

They have improved the offense, which was Grudens main job. The D up until this year was the no1 in the league. The record obviously hasn't been consistent, but it is common with superbowl teams. They are usually veteran teams reaching there prime and thus must be rebuilt. Look at other Superbowl teams, Ravens, Rams, Broncos.

offcourse the exeption is the Patriots, but you cant expect that, only hope for it.

gone

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 18, 2006, 03:35:50 PM

You're always gonna have some busts or disappointments.  Overall they did a great job in the draft.  Defensively we haven't drafted much due to the O needing it more, and we haven't had as many Day 1's as other teams.  The cap and the possibility of getting another SB were also big factors in the year after, we were trying to squeeze out another.  Can't say the FO isn't doing a good job, may not be perfect, but they're doing well.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Last 5, 2nd round picks of the last 5 years « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools