Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eagles snub Garcia... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

#30 : February 27, 2007, 10:34:23 PM

Scarred? From what? Simms had 1 TD, 7 INTs, lost his spleen, and he's not scarred, yet somehow Bruce is?

Somebody got some "splaining" to do.

#31 : February 27, 2007, 10:35:08 PM

Maybe, but really it shouldn't have, he and Gruden are the goats 06-07, but in reality it's all hindsight saying Rattay would've saved the season, he looked medicore against Cleveland, and awful against Seattle, though he had a good half against a hurt CHI defense.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#32 : February 27, 2007, 10:35:38 PM

Scarred? From what? Simms had 1 TD, 7 INTs, lost his spleen, and he's not scarred, yet somehow Bruce is?

Somebody got some "splaining" to do.
See post above.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 27, 2007, 10:39:23 PM

A legitimate old qb.  Good for a yr maybe...That's the point, If he wins with Garcia for 1 yr he saves his job & then we are right back where we started.

Right back where we started? So if Garcia comes here and helps out, you're saying Simms won't learn anything next season. You have no confidence in Simms? Apparently you don't believe Simms can learn.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 27, 2007, 10:40:20 PM

I don't give a crap about his stats...I sat in that damned stadium watching wide open guys all over the field. He was flat out awful!!
He only got to watch 2 3/4th's games of reg. season play from the sidelines...you'd be suprised how different he would be if he sat for 10 weeks or so.
NO!
Not sure what 'no' is in response to, he never got a chance to watch the game....look at Simms, he got to sit for a few years and could step in and start without missing a beat because of it.
I think Chris has missed a beat or two along the way.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 27, 2007, 10:43:18 PM

Karen, Good start, no mistruths just an assumption.  Re RJ, fine but posts would clearly indicate otherwise - see obsure note about Hamlin - as well has this thread.  

Grads confidence may have taken a hit, but he also had an opportunity very few rookies get.  He did not make the most of it to any objective evaluator but there is nothing I have seen anywhere that would indicate permanent "scarring".  

Simms had limited success in less than 1/2 of a season.  Prior to that objective evaluation would be he had a ton of "developing" to do, his first two games last year were miserable.  I think he can play in this league - but with limited success for only the 1/2 season he has a lot to prove.  And if you want to make a scarring determination (absolutely no pun intended) I would be very concerned about Simms.  From batted balls and absolute failure for two games to the terrible injury in the third - let's just hope he can put that all behind him.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#36 : February 27, 2007, 10:46:29 PM

I think Chris is mentally tougher than many give him credit for. That being said, I think he sorely needs a mentor, and Garcia is the best option we have that brings that to the table.

#37 : February 27, 2007, 10:50:12 PM

I think Chris is mentally tougher than many give him credit for. That being said, I think he sorely needs a mentor, and Garcia is the best option we have that brings that to the table.
He's tough, I'll give him that. Brunell is a mentor type, but nobody should feel comfortable with him playing over Garcia.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 27, 2007, 10:52:31 PM

Unfortunately we have to find out if he can overcome his injury and near deadly experience.  And I tend to agree with Ether - Garcia would enter camp the favorite to start just based on last year.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#39 : February 27, 2007, 10:55:20 PM

He's tough, I'll give him that. Brunell is a mentor type, but nobody should feel comfortable with him playing over Garcia.
Brunell is redoing his deal and sticking in Washington so he is not an option.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#40 : February 27, 2007, 11:30:09 PM

Garcia is very tough and feisty.  He did good things for the Eagles under questionable circumstances and he had great team rapport doing it.  Forget Gruden's job.  I think we should take Garcia and let him start.  I like Chris Simms, but I am unsure of his status as a starter.  I adore Gradkowski but he needs a lot of work.  I wish him well because he's got a couple of years before he'lol be up to speed.  I think he learned a lot.  I don't think he's scarred.  I think he's got to be wiser than he was last year. But he's a player! Love him.

Back to the point tho.  Garcia is an upgrade over Simms.  Maybe he can mentor Simms while Simms works his way back into the game.  Aside note here:  I think we shoiulde scrimmage with the 'Fins like we used to oduring camp.  It gives some reality to where people are and it would help all our guys get some chemistry.  I think camp is too insular.  IMHO.  There QB pool is slim this year.  Who knows if Quinn or Russell or any  one of those guys is a comer. We don't.  Nobodoy does. It's not like last year's class with Young and Leinnart et al.  This year's class is slim pickings.  i kinda like Drew Stanton but no one else does and I'm not that confident about him. 
So what is the team to do.  Get Garcia here for a couple of years.  We have Simms and whomever.  Then we do whatever we need to do to find our QB.  It's great to have a star like all the stars we know...but really in our system the QB is more of an adequate manager throwing dunk passes and the occasional Joey Gallowaoy or CJ in the future long ball.  It seems to me we need more of a good decision maker who throws fewer to no interceptions.  Who can scramble a bit.  Someone who can read the field fast and better.  I just don't see Simms doing that.  I could be wrong. Really, I'd like to be wrong. 

This is not an ideal Bucs QB year.  We have to compromise and patch until we can get our franxhise Peyton type guy.  We couldn't get Drew Brees last year because we didn't get the money.  If we can improve the team this year with some impact pllayers and take some pressure off the QB, if that is ever possible...god willikng and the creek don't rise we will keep sloshing around in the swamp until we find our guy.  But I think our expectations should be limited as far as the QB this year...or realistic.  That said.  For me, Garcia is the safest upgrade at that position.  I don't get David Carr at all.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#41 : February 27, 2007, 11:55:04 PM

I don't get the Grads love......at all! ??? ??? [banghead]

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#42 : February 27, 2007, 11:58:04 PM

I don't get the Grads love......at all! ??? ??? [banghead]
Grads love?  Is there such a thing?

I love short, fumbling, no-armed QBs too...(snicker)

Enough of this...we all went through this crap already...

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#43 : February 28, 2007, 01:14:54 AM

Note to dbucfan--I communicate just fine with RJ. Grads confidence didn't take a huge hit by being left in there week after week to suck & then get pulled? Simms had success before this past season.
And he failed miserably in his first starts for the Bucs as well. 0-3 when in his first three starts and then 0-3 to start 06. In bewtween he was 6-5. Overall he is 6-11 for the Bucs. Yet you call out a rookie who has half as many wins as the 5th year vet.

A definite veteran is needed and Garcia fits that bill. At the very least it gives us a viable backup option with 2 young QB's in Simms and Grads. At the most it buys us at most two years to see if Simms can rebound.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#44 : February 28, 2007, 07:27:47 AM

The FO can't wait for Simms any longer.  That 6-11 record for a 5th year vet says it all.  Besides, you could hardly fault the guy for hearing footsteps the rest of his career after losing the spleen. 

Garcia or Plummer is a must if the Bucs are going to get this offense back to where it was in short order.   Beyond the QB, if the running game doesn't improve quickly Gruden better stock up on maloxx.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eagles snub Garcia... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools